Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:03 PM

232 posts, read 633,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I can hazard a guess why this is: Many married women are physically overworked and emotionally overloaded with all the caregiving because ol' hubby over there comes home from work and thinks his day is done. And don't forget the meat and potatoes! Me man! Must have big meal!

Single women enjoy a lot of down time to themselves; don't have someone whining about "what's for dinner?" and can enjoy a bowl of soup if they like; and get a lot more sleep.

You don't get fat and out of shape by being overworked. You get fat and out of shape by doing no physical anything and eating too much. The guys stay in shape because they are still working their asses off at work. And then coming home to housewives that refuses to cook a meal lol

Old 10-16-2011, 12:09 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
You don't get fat and out of shape by being overworked. You get fat and out of shape by doing no physical anything and eating too much. The guys stay in shape because they are still working their asses off at work. And then coming home to housewives that refuses to cook a meal lol
Oh, come on now. There is good and bad where both sexes are concerned so let's not get silly here and start casting general aspersions.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:49 PM

351 posts, read 538,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Marriage isn't for everyone and that's fine, but all I see is a bunch of sex-crazed, money hungry men who resent having to be men. A bunch of ****** who want to wine all day about having to provide for a family. If you want the benefits of having a family, then that's part of being a man. If you don't want it, then avoid it.
Well, I hate to break it to you, but many times when guys get married, they become p***** whipped, and have the threat of losing everything hung over their head, and basically become less manly, not more manly. This situation is exacerbated once children enter the picture.

It would seem that in marriage women still feel emboldened to do whatever they feel like and to tell the guy to f-off, if he's pushing (figuratively speaking) her too much. Men, on the other hand, either consciously or subconsciously, tend to know that there is a certain (large) amount of cow-towing they have to do, and that there is a huge price to pay if they don't. In short, the "yes, dear" mentality sets in.

At work, all I have to do is walk past my employees' offices at 5:00 to hear one guy after the other explaining to their wife in 12 different ways why they can't just drop everything and come home to her that very instant. I have never once walked past the office of a woman (and yes, I employ plenty of women), and heard the same type of conversation in progress.

I do believe there is a reason for this, and I believe the reason lies largely in the fact that both men and women are aware of the fact that the courts tend to be biased toward women. If the Courts were truly fair and unbiased, and women knew they stood to lose as much as guys in a divorce, I think women would be far less inclined to tell their guys to f-off or berate and badger them. That's my theory, but of course feminists (and a certain one contributing to this thread now) are likely to join in and tell me how fair the courts are and how I am just "delusional".

Last edited by QuickStudy178; 10-16-2011 at 01:08 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,574,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickStudy178 View Post
Well, I hate to break it to you, but many times when guys get married, they become p***** whipped, and have the threat of losing everything hung over their head, and basically become less manly, not more manly. This situation is exacerbated once children enter the picture.

It would seem that in marriage women still feel emboldened to do whatever they feel like and to tell the guy to f-off, if he's pushing (figuratively speaking) her too much. Men, on the other hand, either consciously or subconsciously, tend to know that there is a certain (large) amount of cow-towing they have to do, and that there is a huge price to pay if they don't. In short, the "yes, dear" mentality sets in.

At work, all I have to do is walk past my employees' offices at 5:00 to hear one guy after the other explaining to their wife in 12 different ways why they can't just drop everything and come home to her that very instant. I have never once walked past the office of a woman (and yes, I employ plenty of women), and heard the same type of conversation in progress.

I do believe there is a reason for this, and I believe the reason lies largely in the fact that both men and women are aware of the fact that the courts tend to be biased toward women. If the Courts were truly fair and unbiased, and women knew they stood to lose as much as guy in a divorce, I think women would be far less inclined to tell their guys to f-off or berate and badger them. That's my theory, but of course feminists (and a certain one contributing to this thread now) are likely to join in and tell me how fair the courts are and how I am just delusional.

One question: have YOU been married?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:00 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,669,376 times
Quote:
Oh. My. Good. Grief.

Another BLEEPIN' thread from a man who doth protest too much. Repub, when are you going to admit that you yearn for the love of a good woman?

Whatever.

Hate to break it to you--and the other He-Man Woman Haters of City-Data--but there are plenty of women out there like me for whom marriage was a giant money suck. You fellas seem to think it's all women bleeding men dry. You should meet my wasband. He was a vortex for my cash flow.

I really should have listened to my mother, yes, MOTHER, a female, who said, "Don't get married unless you want kids."

You see, you He-Men rant on and on about how bad marriage is for men because you automatically assume the worst of women, and therefore assume that with marriage comes divorce, which you then tie with your assumption that divorce somehow benefits women and destroys men, despite the mountains of evidence that scream otherwise, never mind the N of 1 who is talking to you right now.

But there are plenty of reasons for women not to get married, as well, the main one being the inequality of home stewardship. In couples where both partners work, women still get stuck with the lion's share of maintaining the home and raising the children. Sorry, doing the dishes once in a while and mowing the lawn doesn't count as "half," gentlemen. There's a reason married men enjoy better health and live longer than married women. It seems so many men think they've acquired a maid, a cook, and a nanny along with a wife.

Keep shouting about how much you don't want to get married, though, Repub. Maybe one day you'll convince yourself.
N of 1? LOL That's what i hear when you say "the mountain of women for whom marriage was a giant money suck". Not from where I sit. Not even close. The preponderance of marriages around my life are such that the male is the primary breadwinner, by orders of magnitude.

But let's cast aside the d%ck measuring contest that is statistics..what about you? how old are you? Are you re-married? How do you feel about your ex-husbands' drain of your cash flow? Are you currently paying alimony or child support? What are you doing to guard yourself from getting into that situation again? (after all, aren't we all divorced folks terrible at picking the "right one"). I'm not being facetious. I would like to hear the perspective of a woman that apparently feels similarly about the prospects of economic hardship in marriage and is also divorced. I would like to hear your perspective on that matter moving forward.

As to the inequalities of home stewardship. I guess I don't see it as a problem. If the household has two earners, buy a maid, then yall can both go do what you wish. I used to be a home owner too, talk about misplaced value. Who cares about domestics. Hire a maid, problem solved. I'm single and do chores, but do not place such emphasis on housework. It's not that important. Obviously not having to share space with another, I don't have anyone constantly taking exception to the arrangement and appearance of my living quarters. I live like a bachelor, which is to say my living quarters are not neat and certainly not decorated, but there's nothing unsanitary about them. I suspect though a lot of marriages dial up the decibels of that particular issue to levels that rise into "dealbreakers" territory; I'm afraid I have no sympathy for marriages in that predicament as I objectively do not consider home stewardship a matter of consequence in the first place.

At any rate, would love to hear your thoughts on the perspective of a woman with respect to being the recipient of economic hardship in a marriage. Maybe we can start talking in unison instead of past each other.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:00 PM

22,390 posts, read 29,512,450 times
Quote:
I can hazard a guess why this is: Many married women are physically overworked and emotionally overloaded with all the caregiving because ol' hubby over there comes home from work and thinks his day is done. And don't forget the meat and potatoes! Me man! Must have big meal!

Single women enjoy a lot of down time to themselves; don't have someone whining about "what's for dinner?" and can enjoy a bowl of soup if they like; and get a lot more sleep.

Don't forget the pounding on the chest as this is being said..

Old 10-16-2011, 01:01 PM

22,390 posts, read 29,512,450 times
OP-Do whatever the hell you choose with your life. It's YOUR life and no one elses..

Old 10-16-2011, 01:03 PM

351 posts, read 538,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
One question: have YOU been married?
Yes.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,202,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am 34, single, no kids. never married, actually, I have no desire to get married anytime soon. I am in a much better financial situation than most of my friends who are married, I don't have any kids, I can hook up with as many women as I choose to and I can pretty much do whatever I want.

I am truly enjoying my life being single, I have been traveling almost every other weekend, and although I am still not where I want to be, financially, I feel like, as long as I don't get married and don't have kids, I will be able to afford most of the things that I want.

For a guy like me, it is really hard to see any benefit in getting married, especially at my age. Although, I can't say that I will never marry, I feel like it would be wise to enjoy my single lifestyle until I am about 50.

Once again, I don't understand why any guy in my situation would want to get married, but I would love to hear some of the benefits of getting married, if any.
If all you want out of life is a lot of money and a different girl every week -then you should never get married. If you want love, companionship, a family, the kind of happiness that money can't buy - then marriage should be a consideration. However, it seems that you are happy with just the money and the different girl every week - so if that is enough for you - enjoy. If that is enough for you - why even start this thread?

I feel like the people that start all these threads - marriage is for suckers, I'm never getting married, marriage ruins men, there's no point to marriage - well, methinks thou dost protest too much.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:15 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,574,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickStudy178 View Post
Yes.
Just because YOUR marriage was a hot mess doesn't mean ALL marriages are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships