Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:16 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,128,293 times

Advertisements

If you make it to 50 as a single man, why get married then?

You would be responsible for all the expenses of your spouse's declining years. And you would get less SS married than single. Assuming SS is still around.

The SO and I have had a few discussions about marriage after 50 and we see it as a no win situation. Financially, it makes more sense to live together and have a good will.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:18 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,176,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If all you want out of life is a lot of money and a different girl every week -then you should never get married. If you want love, companionship, a family, the kind of happiness that money can't buy - then marriage should be a consideration. However, it seems that you are happy with just the money and the different girl every week - so if that is enough for you - enjoy. If that is enough for you - why even start this thread?

I feel like the people that start all these threads - marriage is for suckers, I'm never getting married, marriage ruins men, there's no point to marriage - well, methinks thou dost protest too much.

he never said he didnt want a loving healthy relationship- he said he didnt want to get married

you can have those things with or without marriage

Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,254,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am 34, single, no kids. never married, actually, I have no desire to get married anytime soon. I am in a much better financial situation than most of my friends who are married, I don't have any kids, I can hook up with as many women as I choose to and I can pretty much do whatever I want.

I am truly enjoying my life being single, I have been traveling almost every other weekend, and although I am still not where I want to be, financially, I feel like, as long as I don't get married and don't have kids, I will be able to afford most of the things that I want.

For a guy like me, it is really hard to see any benefit in getting married, especially at my age. Although, I can't say that I will never marry, I feel like it would be wise to enjoy my single lifestyle until I am about 50.

Once again, I don't understand why any guy in my situation would want to get married, but I would love to hear some of the benefits of getting married, if any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
he never said he didnt want a loving healthy relationship- he said he didnt want to get married

you can have those things with or without marriage
How many loving, healthy relationships do you know of where the guy gets to hook up with as many women as he chooses? If that is one of the most important things to him, which it sounds like it is - then a loving relationship is not a possibility - don't you think?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:25 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,677,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If all you want out of life is a lot of money and a different girl every week -then you should never get married. If you want love, companionship, a family, the kind of happiness that money can't buy - then marriage should be a consideration. However, it seems that you are happy with just the money and the different girl every week - so if that is enough for you - enjoy. If that is enough for you - why even start this thread?

I feel like the people that start all these threads - marriage is for suckers, I'm never getting married, marriage ruins men, there's no point to marriage - well, methinks thou dost protest too much.
Your rational premise (money and sex= no marriage license // honest life companionship and happiness = marriage license) is FLAWED from the get go. The comparison between no marriage being strictly a selfish pursuit of money and sexual diversity and marriage as part of a more dignified pursuit of honest happiness, is biased. There is no inherent value present in a marriage license that excludes unmarried people from finding honest and happy companionship. The only thing marriage brings to the table is a financial contract under which the undersigned are legally responsible for a certain number of remuneration items in case of a dissolution of the companionship. That's it. God and Country have one iota to do with it.

The problem arises when one half of the population is boilerplate socialized to believe that your little rational comparison up there is the absolute singularity of possibilities. At that point it becomes very difficult to demonstrate to potential partners the existence of alternatives to marriage that can still yield an outcome satisfactory to those who seek life companionship. Marriage is not the only alternative to genuine life companionship. Furthermore, statistically speaking marriage has a lousy record of demonstrating the very thing that is being touted as a benefit of marriage (happy life companionship).

Why is a marriage license such a prerequisite for women to accept a life of monogamy and commitment to one person? That right there says everything I need to know about the real value for which marriage is sought.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
Just because YOUR marriage was a hot mess doesn't mean ALL marriages are.
Don't kid yourself, "functionally unhappy" is no difference at all in my book. My marriage wasn't uncivil, but it wasn't happy. Same outcome. Now if we're to suggest there is inherent value in a silently civil and amicable prison of a life, then that's on you, I don't subscribe to that lemonade recipe. To each their own at that point....

Old 10-16-2011, 01:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,343,993 times
I'd say: Why not do women a favor and not marry at all?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If you make it to 50 as a single man, why get married then?

You would be responsible for all the expenses of your spouse's declining years. And you would get less SS married than single. Assuming SS is still around.

The SO and I have had a few discussions about marriage after 50 and we see it as a no win situation. Financially, it makes more sense to live together and have a good will.
My sincere envy for finding such level headed SO. I rejoice for you sincerely

Old 10-16-2011, 01:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am 34, single, no kids. never married, actually, I have no desire to get married anytime soon. I am in a much better financial situation than most of my friends who are married, I don't have any kids, I can hook up with as many women as I choose to and I can pretty much do whatever I want.

I am truly enjoying my life being single, I have been traveling almost every other weekend, and although I am still not where I want to be, financially, I feel like, as long as I don't get married and don't have kids, I will be able to afford most of the things that I want.

For a guy like me, it is really hard to see any benefit in getting married, especially at my age. Although, I can't say that I will never marry, I feel like it would be wise to enjoy my single lifestyle until I am about 50.

Once again, I don't understand why any guy in my situation would want to get married, but I would love to hear some of the benefits of getting married, if any.
Herein endeth this discussion.

The OP is absolutely correct. There is no point whatsoever in him marrying before he is 50 years old. If he should decide to marry at the age of 49, severe penalties will ensue. The nuptials must be entered into when he is at least 50 years old but no later than that, penalties accordingly. No penalties for spousal age as long as the spouse is of legal age according to state laws.

Kidding aside, nothing on this thread from any poster could possibly inspire him to marry for any reason and whatever his age. The people who contribute to this forum on marriage-related issues are people who've lived through miserable marriages and miserable relationships. They either stick around because there's nowhere else to go or remove themselves from sticky issues.

More importantly, people who have successfully gone through marriages lasting many, many years don't even know that forums such as these exist and don't give a rat's arse.

This is one area where you don't get both sides.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,254,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Your rational premise (money and sex= no marriage license // honest life companionship and happiness = marriage license) is FLAWED from the get go. The comparison between no marriage being strictly a selfish pursuit of money and sexual diversity and marriage as part of a more dignified pursuit of honest happiness, is biased. There is no inherent value present in a marriage license that excludes unmarried people from finding honest and happy companionship. The only thing marriage brings to the table is a financial contract under which the undersigned are legally responsible for a certain number of remuneration items in case of a dissolution of the companionship. That's it. God and Country have one iota to do with it.

The problem arises when one half of the population is boilerplate socialized to believe that your little rational comparison up there is the absolute singularity of possibilities. At that point it becomes very difficult to demonstrate to potential partners the existence of alternatives to marriage that can still yield an outcome satisfactory to those who seek life companionship. Marriage is not the only alternative to genuine life companionship. Furthermore, statistically speaking marriage has a lousy record of demonstrating the very thing that is being touted as a benefit of marriage (happy life companionship).

Why is a marriage license such a prerequisite for women to accept a life of monogamy and commitment to one person? That right there says everything I need to know about the real value for which marriage is sought.
You could easily substitute committed relationship for marriage in my post and that would be fine with me. This thread was specifically about marriage. I think you can definitely have a loving, life long relationship with out getting legally married. I know many such couples. My post was basically about any life long committed relationship.

As for your last paragraph - I'm not sure why you seem to think that it is only women that have any desire for a marriage license. I would say that getting legally married was probably more important to my husband than it was to me.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd say: Why not do women a favor and not marry at all?
How would that be a favor? Other than yeah they'll probably won't be able to turn blood from that turnip...I guess that could be construed as doing them a favor. Otherwise, no, they're worse off. Who are they to rely on if all men start wising up to the economic disadvantages of buying instead of renting....just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships