Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,096,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Is there an ashtray in front of the store? When there were ashtrays, they were used.
That's what I was thinking, I mean was she supposed to put it out in her hand? Her crotch? Toss it into the produce aisle, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,053,181 times
I don't like dating women who smoke because then you have to hang out with all of her smoker friends, too.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,473,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's what I was thinking, I mean was she supposed to put it out in her hand? Her crotch? Toss it into the produce aisle, what?
I think a gentleman should offer to eat his partners butt. If my fiancé smoked, I would.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,285,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
For me, a women who smokes is automatically X'ed of the list.
Why? That's what I'm looking for. I don't know if I even know why smoking is a turn off. It just always has been.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,870,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
If she smoked when you met her, then whats the problem now?
This should be a common topic on this site but since most men just avoid such women, it seldom gets an airing. Women smokers often just have no idea what their dating problem is.

If young women knew how most men who don't smoke, detest women who do, they would never take it up.

Perhaps anti smoking advertising needs to address this. I've always thought that the only thing keeping the smoking habit alive is that it hasn't become "totally gross" in the view if young women.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Scocar, it's an addiction. That's all that needs to be said and probably all that can be said.
But in her case it clearly is not an addiction, but rather a choice. She quit 12 years ago while pregnant. She smoked once at a wedding, when she was a bridesmaid and several of the other bridesmades were smoking at the reception (she was pretty drunk that night). Then has not touched a cigarette in 7 years since and has always communicated that the smell of them made her ill. Then all of a sudden we move back to her hometown and she starts again. That is not an addiction.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,298,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
I think a gentleman should offer to eat his partners butt. If my fiancé smoked, I would.
Funny game of words!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
So my wife used to be a smoker. In fact she smoked when we met. I hated it as it's a big turnoff for me. At first she slowed down and would only smoke at work and then occasionally when we went out. Then when she got pregnant with out daughter 12 years ago she stopped completely. I found out that she has started to smoke occasionally, again. Not around me, but I found a lighter laying around and then found an empty pack of cigarettes in the truck. She said it's because her job is very stressful and many of the other girls smoke as well, so it was easy to pick back up. Well obviously I don't want my wife doing something that turns me off. And I would hope neither does she.

The thing is I have a hard time explaining to her why I don't like it. It's really not because of the smell. My wife always has mints and I've never tasted cigarette smoke on her when kissing her. I know smoking is a big turnoff for a lot of people, so I thought maybe others could explain why.
It is patently unfair to marry someone with the intention of "changing" them.

Smoking is not a turn off to me. In fact, I find the smell of FRESH cigarette smoke or cigar or pipe tobacco immensely sexy. When I met my husband he smoked. He has since quit, but I would never dream of trying to force him to smoke again just because I think it smells good.

Most people find smoking distasteful because the media preaches this to them. Most people cannot make up their own minds about anything and NEED the television to tell them what to think, do and say.

Kinda sad, actually.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I never disliked the smell or taste of cigarette as much as I do the premise behind it. It's a very stupid habit, and I can't think of a reason why anybody would start it other than peer pressure and that itself is a huge turn-off. It makes me think the person has no character. It's also extremely unhealthy and I can't think of why anyone would intentionally poison their body that way. That's why I dislike it. The smell or taste I don't mind so much, though I do hate the tartar/plaque that builds on your teeth...that's gross.
I think this is similar to how I feel. In addition I just get turned off when I see a female smoke. Sort of like I would if she lifted her leg up and farted. Or if she was chewing tobacco and spitting. These are all unattractive things to me and thus would be a turnoff. I just find it a very non-feminine looking act. Some guys don't feel the same way and that's fine, but to me the sight of a women smoking is very unattractive. So clearly it becomes an issue when my wife is doing things that I find unattractive.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is patently unfair to marry someone with the intention of "changing" them.

Smoking is not a turn off to me. In fact, I find the smell of FRESH cigarette smoke or cigar or pipe tobacco immensely sexy. When I met my husband he smoked. He has since quit, but I would never dream of trying to force him to smoke again just because I think it smells good.

Most people find smoking distasteful because the media preaches this to them. Most people cannot make up their own minds about anything and NEED the television to tell them what to think, do and say.

Kinda sad, actually.

20yrsinBranson
I hope you are not implying that is what I did. I thought I was pretty clear that I did not pressure my wife into quitting. She quit when she found out she was pregnant with our daughter. But I think it's patently unfair to rekindle a habit you had kicked 12 years ago just because you enjoy doing it. If I had given something up 12 years ago that I knew my spouse was against and was overjoyed that I had given up, I certainly would not start up again without some serious thought about her feelings on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships