Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:57 PM

53 posts, read 51,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Yep some of us just like you for you.
problem with that is, probably 7 out of 10 of the people sitting behind the computer screen are pretending to be something they are not( funny, smart, have a personality) when its actually the total opposite, what a big let down when you think your getting the person they pretended to be, and then the real one shows up,( dumber than a box of rocks, personality of a pile of dog crap, and zero sense of humor) but they seemed so different online! becareful who you talk to and so easily befriend online, you never know who the real person is. plus, for some people, talking to people online is all they have, they have made no real friends their whole life, so their whole life revolves around talking to people online, they have no social skills, nobody likes them, so online they can sit behind a computer screen and be who ever they want and befriend people and feel important, its an addiction and a very sad and desperate life.... think i went off topic, but still applys.

Last edited by BCR76; 10-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: want to add to post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 11:35 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,178,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
If you are a male, 6 or greater in the looks department and have a full-time job, any full time job, then online dating is for you.

I just got back from a "first meet-up" and had a blast. We talked for 2 1/2 hours, had a few drinks and in the end it cost me $20.00; that's in the DC area, by the way. She was also flattered as hell that I offered to pay for her even though it was a mere $20 between the both of us (makes me wonder how other guys have treated her, she was so grateful that I covered a mere $20 tab)
Awesomness! You sound laid back and like a total sweetie...The sad part of it was you stating that she was flattered but a better word is in awe and appreciative that you were a gentleman...and picked up the tab...it sounds like a win win...no expectations, good convo and a good time...
Guys, all it takes is creativity, good conversation, a $20 bill , a good head on your shoulders and average looks to show a lady a good time. Women aren't after your privates, your pec muscles, your biceps, or your money, they are after the whole YOU.
While there are some superficial women just as there are men, you are correct there are alot of us "Good" women that actually want all of you... ....You touched on an important factor..."Good conversationalist"
When I participated in online dating...I found the conversation to be greatly lacking in most of my dates...very limited, very sad...
And for some of "us" You can be as hot as ever but the minute you open your mouth and are dumber than a box of rocks? We are DONE...

Quote:
I intend on providing for my future wife so if I can't cough up $20 on a 65K salary, then I probably shouldn't date.
Exactly...you will be fine I have no doubt...go for what you know!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
As a good looking guy, I find online dating to be a waste as well. You can just read the profiles and tell the majority of the women there have issues. You come across things such as: "I've been burned", "I don't do one night stands", "You must be 6 feet tall", etc. I just laugh at those profiles. Then you get some of them that actually message you and have some pickup line so stupid it would put any of Will Smith's lines on Fresh Prince to shame.
lol...Here we go...
But playing devils advocate for this thread I will agree.. I have heard some horror stories from previous dates..Re: Women and their online profiles or should I say "Dissertations" I have read some and they are quite painful..however some men engage in these faus pas as well...
Online dating is really a 50/50 gamble...it speeds up the process in a way and allows you a sneak peek into what someone is looking for and what not..It saves you painful awkward moments at a bar...
There is good and bad just as is seen in all things..
My friend once stated to me..."Sometimes you haveto date a few bad apples so when you come across a great one you can appreciate them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
As a good looking gal, I'm so glad that online dating was not a waste of time for those good looking guys that I have dated, nor for the very sexy and sweet guy that I am with today. Sure there were a lot of losers on there, and plenty of overweight men looking for barbie dolls, and guys that sent the most ridiculous emails....but I am a patient woman. And happily, my patience has always paid off.
Exactly...
As I stated there is good and bad...
And like yourself..I have seen men that no where near resemble KEN but instead his dorky cousin and are looking for barbies...
I have been on dates where men that are no where near tens but were very nice and respectful to me state over dinner how disgusting some of their dates were? SO SAD... changed my perspective on them asap..
Matter of fact I was talking to one guy that turns out dated a good friend of mine and he stated..."When I met her she was not that pretty at all, she was about 15 lbs bigger than her picture and way too short" Ummm...she is 5' what did you expect? And she is not overweight, but curvaceous..
But most importantly? He looked ten years older than his pic and was at least 25 lbs overweight, really? "Pot meet kettle"

I have done the lewd messages from men, the cheeseball lines and so forth...The flipside? I met a great awesome guy three months ago, deleted my profile and have not looked back..<3

Quote:
Your problem is that you actually expect something from it. Your other problem is that you actually put faith in free online dating. It's nothing more than a fun exercise for me. For most women that "fun exercise" translates to a free rounds of drinks. Everyone wins, even if nothing comes of it.
TOUCHE...
It is my opinion that you will be successful because you go in with no expectations other than getting to know this person and at the very least making a new friend but all the while having an enjoyable evening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I tried online dating one time. I met up with I think 3 girls over a period of a year. It took a while though and I had to talk to 2 of them on the phone for probably one week to 2 weeks just to meet up with them in person. What a waste of time and money. All three were not the most appealing women physically speaking, but I agreed to be open minded and met up with them anyway.

Upon meeting all three I could since issues with all of them. One was just plain ugly with super long hair and acted like she didn't even care to be there. The other I remember meeting up with was just weird. Not much for looks either.

I would say that online dating was an OK idea at first, but after it gained popularity it just went downhill. I guess it works for a few, but I don't think it works for the majority of people. All the women on there are kinda flakey and skeptical. They don't know what the hell they want. Profiles are misleading and are just fake a lot of the time.

And a lot of the chicks on these sites are "burned and churned" types. They have either been married and been divorced and/or have 2 or 3 kids to go along with that. Most of these girls profiles are BS. They say I want a guy at least such and such height and likes to hunt and fish kind of crap.

I will not do online dating again. Waste.
I am sorry that you feel this way...
However NOT all women are flaky and skeptical, have super long profiles spouting demands, deal breakers, have 2-3 kids and have issues....

There are those of us that honestly have been referred by friends because we do not get out alot and when we do we are not looking to hook up in a bar...we come from great families, have careers, one child from a previous divorce...at 37 ( My age) most men and women I come across that are single are either divorced or coming out of a long term relationship with some children..
Burned and Churned? Thats life, life is not perfect and some not all this is not there first rodeo, you confuse "Burned and Churned" with the theory that states.."Ya live and ya learn" meaning through time and experience one FINALLY knows what they want and do not want...how bad is that?
And not all of us HAVE had these results..
I in fact have dated several men and it has ended for various reasons...however I have met someone as I stated 3 months ago and it has been great...

Old 10-30-2011, 06:16 AM

96 posts, read 289,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
As a good looking guy, I find online dating to be a waste as well. You can just read the profiles and tell the majority of the women there have issues. You come across things such as: "I've been burned", "I don't do one night stands", "You must be 6 feet tall", etc. I just laugh at those profiles. Then you get some of them that actually message you and have some pickup line so stupid it would put any of Will Smith's lines on Fresh Prince to shame.
Everyone has ''issues'', maybe because your looking for perfection is the reason you dont do well with online dating, because it doesn't exist.

I get these two, but ''i dont do one night stands''?- makes sense when someone's looking for a relationship. Women get alot of time wasters who will say they are looking for a relationship when they are not.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 AM

96 posts, read 289,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
It also depends on who you have the "meet-up" with. You are lucky you met someone you could have an enjoyable time with, not all are like that.

On the whole, i've had good luck with online dating, but i'm not a guy.

But each person is different, remember.
The way to get around that is webcam and chatting on the phone before you meet. I would of never met up with someone without chatting on the phone- to get an idea of their personality. Nothing worse than a really awkward date despite a nice free meal

Old 10-30-2011, 07:56 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,496,558 times
The thing that most people don't realize is that relationships are work. To get the type of person you want, is going to require hard work. Online dating is not hard work. Thusly, most of the people on there are going to be lazy, or for some reason or other they couldn't get a relationship the conventional way.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:29 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,512,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia2004 View Post
Everyone has ''issues'', maybe because your looking for perfection is the reason you dont do well with online dating, because it doesn't exist.

I get these two, but ''i dont do one night stands''?- makes sense when someone's looking for a relationship. Women get alot of time wasters who will say they are looking for a relationship when they are not.

I signed up out of curiosity, not because I intended to find someone.

And the ones that mention no one night stands are a joke because sex is clearly on their minds. Otherwise, they wouldn't have mentioned. It reeks of issues and bitterness(and horniness).

Old 10-30-2011, 11:52 AM

37,715 posts, read 46,149,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You seem to be missing the main point...we're talking about men using online dating, not women. There are more men on the sites than women so of course more women are going to have success. I get so tired of women bragging about how great online dating is. No kidding, it's way easier for women online. If you walk into a room with 100 men and there are only 60 other women of course you have a good chance at finding someone decent. I'm an athletic man, clean cut, no tats, piercings, employed, average height, no kids. The only women that want to talk to me online are 200 pounders with 3 kids out of wedlock. Can you explain that? I live near a major metro area (Pittsburgh) so location cannot be the issue.
Okay, so let's talk about that. But first, let's talk about a real-life venue, let's say, a bar/club type place, actually, let's say there are two of them. So, lets say that in one of them, that every woman that goes in, tries to meet a guy or two, and make a connection. (Obviously in real life this does not happen...many people are there just to hang out, listen to music, dance, etc.) And let's say that in the other bar, every man that goes in there, is doing the same thing.

Now. Which group do you think will have a greater "success" rate? Who will have a better chance of striking up a connection with someone of the opposite sex? Anyone?

My guess would be that the woman would fare much better. I'd bet money on it. Online dating won't change a thing, in that respect.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:47 PM

221 posts, read 599,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I get so tired of women bragging about how great online dating is. No kidding, it's way easier for women online. If you walk into a room with 100 men and there are only 60 other women of course you have a good chance at finding someone decent. I'm an athletic man, clean cut, no tats, piercings, employed, average height, no kids. The only women that want to talk to me online are 200 pounders with 3 kids out of wedlock. Can you explain that? I live near a major metro area (Pittsburgh) so location cannot be the issue.
I frequently hear women complain about how lousy online dating is. This is in Phoenix and Denver, and it's not among the 200-pounders with 3 kids. Their standards are higher, so the landscape looks bleak.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:07 PM

53 posts, read 51,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
The thing that most people don't realize is that relationships are work. To get the type of person you want, is going to require hard work. Online dating is not hard work. Thusly, most of the people on there are going to be lazy, or for some reason or other they couldn't get a relationship the conventional way.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,345,842 times
Quote:
*I couldn't care less. And thanks, that just makes the ratio more favorable for me

As of last weekend, add one more happy couple to the online dating success stories. A friend of mine just got engaged to a guy she met on match.com. Yes, he has a job and is decent looking and not overweight. My friend is divorced, no kids, great job, athletic and decent looking. Neither person would ever be a super model, but neither one is overweight or unemployed.

Ya know, for every woman who meets Mr. Right online, there is a man who met the woman of his dreams online.

I don't see how people can say that women have a better success rate. Just who are they "succeeding" with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships