Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:06 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,756,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Which is interesting because I find maybe 95% of the profiles I read just boring. Same old cliches, same old hobbies and interests, and just same old outlook on life. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but they seem boring as hell. Even worse is that they come across looking for the world's most interesting, perfect, and successful man. It could just be me and my appreciation for a little bit of quirkiness, which doesn't have to mean that flakiness or craziness.
Yep. And when you do find a profile that's actually unusual, it looks like she's doing it just to appear unique. But her "unique" profile will just be some variation on the last "unique" profile you saw. "OMG look how quirky I am!"

"I'm so quirky I'm wearing weird clothes!"

"I'm so quirky I'm wearing those huge novelty sunglasses!"

"I'm so quirky that I'm making a weird face in my profile pic! I don't even care!"

While not the typical, "Looking for an caring man who will treat me like a princess and loves God and kids" BS, it's still not much different than all the other girls doing the same thing. It's a little more clever, but not really original.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 02:09 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yep. And when you do find a profile that's actually unusual, it looks like she's doing it just to appear unique. But her "unique" profile will just be some variation on the last "unique" profile you saw. "OMG look how quirky I am!"

"I'm so quirky that I'm making a weird face in my profile pic! I don't even care!"

While not the typical, "Looking for an caring man who will treat me like a princess and loves God and kids" BS, it's still not much different than all the other girls doing the same thing. It's a little more clever, but not really original.
I see the profiles that you can feel like they are trying too hard to be cute and fun, when it just makes them look unattractive. An instant turn-off.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:53 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,806,102 times
Quote:
Which is interesting because I find maybe 95% of the profiles I read just boring. Same old cliches, same old hobbies and interests, and just same old outlook on life. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but they seem boring as hell. Even worse is that they come across looking for the world's most interesting, perfect, and successful man. It could just be me and my appreciation for a little bit of quirkiness, which doesn't have to mean that flakiness or craziness.
Quote:

Quote:
I see the profiles that you can feel like they are trying too hard to be cute and fun, when it just makes them look unattractive. An instant turn-off.
I'll give a girl props if she appears to have at least put some effort into her profile and doesn't come across as completely selfish or self-centered. After you've read tons of profiles and met some people you can start reading between the lines and figure out who the flakes are....to a degree. The ones to avoid are the ones that think it's all about them.

If a woman has a short profile and 90 percent of it is her list of demands and checklist for a man..bad sign. If she has a lame/lazy profile but really good pics...she's depending on her looks to get her whatever she wants. There's a good chance her personality has serious flaws and she's used to not having to be charming because she can get by on her looks. I never message this type of woman. If the woman is at least ok looking and sounds like a sweetheart in her profile..then I might message her. I am at the point where I'm very selective in who I bother to message on a site like okcupid, match, or plentyofflakes.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
After sending hundreds and hundreds of messages and only getting a few dates out of it, I pretty much quit online dating a few years back. I send out messages now and then, but it amounts to nothing. At most we talk a bit online, but no genuine interest in meeting up. I don't like clubs or bars for meeting women either. So that leaves all these supposed 'social groups' that are supposedly full of women. If anyone knows of any good ones please let me know because I haven't found any yet.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
I don't know about that. I was having a conversation about this the other night, at dinner, with a table full of my male friends. all of us had used online dating at some point.

Some of us had more success than others, but one thing we all agreed on -- the majority of women online have this attitude of entitlement that says, "Entertain me," like we're some kind of court jester. It is really only this way when you are meeting people online, i think all that attention fuels the ego.

I've had a few legitimate conversations, but the majority of the time they sit back and wait for me to say something interesting, which takes a lot of the fun out of it.
How is this different to real life?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Ok cupid, for instance, is just another flavour of conformism. Like 'alternative music' I consider it just the alternative mainstream. I enjoy dramatic gothic literature, long candlelit dinners in castles, writing existential poetry and dyeing my hair bright orange.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Ok cupid, for instance, is just another flavour of conformism. Like 'alternative music' I consider it just the alternative mainstream. I enjoy dramatic gothic literature, long candlelit dinners in castles, writing existential poetry and dyeing my hair bright orange.
I hate the label of "alternative music".

Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 PM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteNative View Post
Online dating is bad mainly for one reason: You form your first opinions and impressions of the person through a 96-pixel-per-inch photo and some words written to be as inoffensive as possible, and the rest of the relationship never really moves beyond that initial foundation.
Totally disagree. My first impressions are never more that vague ideas....UNTIL a meet a person. I think you folks that seem to have so much trouble, and the ones that are putting far too much stock into what is written in the profile itself. Get over it. Go meet a few people and stop being such pansies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteNative View Post
If you meet someone in the flesh you get a 3D, full-motion image. There are things that might look bad in photos that are total non-issues when you see a person's confidence, gestures, smile, presence in person. You also get to interact with them spontaneously. They can't plan out responses like they can through email or chat.
Well DUH. Meeting people is the whole freaking idea! You don't know a damn thing until you meet them, but you can certainly use the online tool as a venue for finding possibilities!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 PM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
There are more men on the sites so women have more to cherry pick from and as many of us have correctly stated - this causes a problem in a number of ways. A woman that is a 6 wants to date an 8 and when a 6 tries to contact her she doesn't give him a chance.

There should be a site where the ratio of men to women is controlled.
If you guys would stop with the stupid numbers, you might have a better chance of success. As far as ratios, go in any bar that tends to be a "singles" kind of place. The men usually outnumber the women. Why would you expect it to be any different online?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I'll give a girl props if she appears to have at least put some effort into her profile and doesn't come across as completely selfish or self-centered. After you've read tons of profiles and met some people you can start reading between the lines and figure out who the flakes are....to a degree. The ones to avoid are the ones that think it's all about them.

If a woman has a short profile and 90 percent of it is her list of demands and checklist for a man..bad sign. If she has a lame/lazy profile but really good pics...she's depending on her looks to get her whatever she wants. There's a good chance her personality has serious flaws and she's used to not having to be charming because she can get by on her looks. I never message this type of woman. If the woman is at least ok looking and sounds like a sweetheart in her profile..then I might message her. I am at the point where I'm very selective in who I bother to message on a site like okcupid, match, or plentyofflakes.
It's easy to pick up read between the lines. I don't know, I just find a lot of girls meh, at least my age (28). I don't care how pretty you may be, you can lose my interest quickly. I can't figure it out. It's a bit like our country. All the houses look the same, watch the same TV shows (I will not date a girl who is a big reality TV watcher), we all buy the same things, like the same popular music, do the same vacations, all go to college because that's what were suppose to and to get that nice office job, ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships