Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 05:47 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,117,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
For those of you who are divorced, why did you divorce?
I divorced my husband (several years ago), because

1. I had the responsibility to tell him that things needed to change, but he didn't take his share of the responsibility to do any changing.

2. The TV and his truck were of more importance.

3. He decided that showering and brushing his teeth were down on his list of priorities, right along with me. (I'm not sure if I came just before or just after hygiene on the priority list.)

4. The love was gone long before I divorced him.

5. I thought that we were just in a low spot in our relationship, but over several years, it wasn't getting better. There were no more high spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,815,829 times
Good thread!

My Ex was bi-sexual and cheating on me. He had been cheating since before we were married (I didn't figure it out until after we were married). Stupid thing for me, I loved him so much I didn't want to leave him... I couldn't. I tried talking to him about it, but he was military and said that if we did counseling or anything he could be court martialed and dishonorably discharged (this was years ago). I believed him, bit my tongue and tried to cope with it.. all the while hoping I would win him over and win his loyalty.

Years passed (and surprise) nothing changed. He always had someone on the side. Yeah, I was naive. But I grew bitter in that time and cold towards him. Still, I wouldn't leave. But he could sense my coldness I think.

Finally, when he got out of the military I put my foot down and said we needed to go to counseling--there were no more excuses. He agreed and went with me, but he didn't like what he was being told (for some reason, in his mind sleeping with men wasn't an affair--I still can't understand that). I came home from work one day and he told me that the marriage wasn't working for him anymore and he wanted a divorce.

We separated for over a year. After a year of healing and limbo... I wanted it to be over. I filed for the divorce.

I don't hate my Ex, the way I see it... he did wrong and so did I. Yes he cheated, but I was cold and didn't confront him early on and didn't stand up for myself. I learned from it (I hope).

I am glad he asked me for the divorce and I am glad I was finally able to file. It was the best thing he could ever do because I don't think I could have left him and I don't think he ever could have stopped cheating.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:38 PM

11,393 posts, read 9,316,239 times
She wanted to live out her fantasy to have sex with Asian men.

Later diagnosed with bi-polar.

No arguments or problems until toward the end. We were together for 8 years.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 PM

166 posts, read 244,889 times
Wow @ this thread. So many halos in here...
The other party is always to blame. Lol

Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,815,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygreeneyes View Post
It's true that in a lot of cases things aren't always so black and white (I never claimed mine was). I agree with you there. But it takes two people to hold a marriage together. One person alone can delay things, but can't really stop a divorce when it comes if the other person doesn't make an effort too.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,741,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygreeneyes View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the folks who do the screwing around or were simply the arseholes in the relationship, don't want to come on here and admit who and what they are. Most likely, that's the same personality traits that caused the marriage to fail in the first place.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,842,874 times
I've had two, and both marriages were entered into without either of us really knowing our partner, or what marriage means. Marriage is so much more complicated than most realize, and both my wives, as well as myself were unaware of the dedication, understanding and commitment that goes hand in hand with love in making a marriage last. In hindsight, we were too young, too naïve, and too impulsive.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM

38 posts, read 71,381 times
He punched me in the face, choked me, tore my hair out, smashed beer cans off my head, and tried to suffocate me. I ran and let him divorce me. 20 years ago, and its still tough.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:11 PM

38 posts, read 71,381 times
Wow. I did not mean to shut this thread down! Sorry guys. I think its a very useful discussion.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,617,088 times
I made the mistake of getting married knowing that we shouldn't have. I married him because he was "safe" even though that wasn't what I truly wanted. I take responsibility for my own actions. However, we were both at fault. We both wanted the other to be a different person. He wanted me to be more domesticated, which I wasn't at the time. He knew this going into the relationship. I wanted him to be more communicative, open and sexually experimental. He wouldn't even french kiss me. He couldn't figure out why I wanted his tongue in my mouth.

His lack of communication on major issues was the biggest problem. When I brought up counseling, he refused. I would try to communicate calmly with him instead of nagging and he would shut down and walk away. There were things going on that I wasn't even aware of. He was about to file bankruptcy and didn't even tell me. Had I known, I would have helped him and we could have worked it out. Instead, he chose to handle it by shutting down and lashing out at me whenever I asked about anything that involved money (like what we were planning to do on our anniversary). When I realized nothing was going to change, I shut down in my own way. I'm not proud of it, but I started an emotional affair. But by the time this happened, I had already informed him I was going to move out. Not the best solution, but like others said, I had checked out at that point.

We're on good terms now, he's remarried with kids and I'm with a man I can see myself marrying. We both learned from our mistakes. He said he communicates more now and I've calmed down and stopped nagging and arguing. Going through the divorce taught us both about what a marriage is really supposed to be about.

Last edited by Miss J 74; 03-12-2013 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships