Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 AM

52,395 posts, read 52,888,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Did you turn into teen wolf during the western state lunar eclipse this morning Chow?
LOL, I wish I would have known... I was up at the crack of dawn this morning, actually before that... LOL

Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,286,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I need to do something.... my job is really depressing me and getting me down... I can't handle the pressure and stress of it anymore.
I think you don't hate your job per se, but your place of employment. Isn't changing that good enough?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think you don't hate your job per se, but your place of employment. Isn't changing that good enough?
I've been in the same industry 20 yrs now. I was at my last company 15 yrs, left about 5 or so ago. It is a huge fortune 150 type of company. I left it and basically do the same job at a much smaller mid sized company. The things that drive me nuts are industry specific and job specific. Not so much relating to the people there. I realize that after I left the last place.

IDK... I'm thinking of something ancillary to my industry.....

Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,037,232 times
My house is a quarantine zone.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:58 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,596,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
My house is a quarantine zone.
"Contaigon"

Old 12-10-2011, 11:02 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,037,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
"Contaigon"
My roommate and I are both sick.

Though my friend is now much worse than I am. I have a cough and some nasal congestion. Tussin clears them both right up.

My friend is still coughing much more than I am right now.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:18 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,017,873 times
Quote:
I've been in the same industry 20 yrs now. I was at my last company 15 yrs, left about 5 or so ago. It is a huge fortune 150 type of company. I left it and basically do the same job at a much smaller mid sized company. The things that drive me nuts are industry specific and job specific. Not so much relating to the people there. I realize that after I left the last place.

IDK... I'm thinking of something ancillary to my industry.....
Be careful about the money aspect chow. Trading down on pay versus happiness at work is something that I havent seen work out as planned many times particularly when the cut is substantial. You get used to living a certain way and a pay cut that impacts your way of life can be a harder thing than foreseen from the other side. Too often it seems you see someone trade one set of headaches for another. I know when I have seen it work it out well it was usually someone who had a great deal of stress at work and they were the bring it home types. For these a pay cut can be worth shedding the elephant on their backs. Your not a spring chicken and I know I'm not saying anything you don't know, just calling it to mind.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:29 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,017,873 times
Heh, just got a pic of my granddaughter. I like granddaughters.
Attached Thumbnails
Relationship Chat Thread #19-imsocute.jpg  

Old 12-10-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Be careful about the money aspect chow. Trading down on pay versus happiness at work is something that I havent seen work out as planned many times particularly when the cut is substantial. You get used to living a certain way and a pay cut that impacts your way of life can be a harder thing than foreseen from the other side. Too often it seems you see someone trade one set of headaches for another. I know when I have seen it work it out well it was usually someone who had a great deal of stress at work and they were the bring it home types. For these a pay cut can be worth shedding the elephant on their backs. Your not a spring chicken and I know I'm not saying anything you don't know, just calling it to mind.
Yeah, I think about it a lot. While I'm no Rockefeller, I do Ok moneywise. It's gonna be hard taking probably a 50% pay cut to start and after a couple of yrs I could earn more, but I'd still be about 25% below what I make now.

Things to think about I guess.

I've also worked really hard the last few yrs to become basically debt free. I'm not thrilled about spending 35 or 40k to go back to school. Like I posted earlier, going to school 4 nights a week from 6 to 10 just seems so damn daunting.......

IDK, I feel trapped.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,596,800 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a career change and some retraining, I've been eyeballing a couple of different programs. One of the the programs has you in class from 6 to 10 four nights a week.

Man.. I just don't know if I could handle that.... I've done the work and go to school at night thing before... but that was several yrs ago......
I feel your pain Chow, I went to night school several years ago, though where I landed I didn't need to go to school, I don't regret it. I'm looking for a change also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Do you have a degree now and can you elimiate some of the course work to reduce the cost?

I have a BS in Education with a minor in Human Development. I'm looking to get into a program for RN and I have to meet with someone from the dept. but I think I may be able to transfer some of my psych and humanities to the program, as well as some math and Lit.

The program I'm looking into is 6 semesters ($23K), though they have a fast-track that is 4 semesters ($18k). I'm not confident that I could do well on a fast-track program though with all the household responsibility I have here but it's a bit cheaper.
Through student loans my 16k school stint costs me a chumpy $89/mo. I expected the program to be much higher, about the range Chow mentions below.
Quote:
I'm thinking about medical imaging. Ultrasound or MRI stuff. IDK, I've been doing some soul searching and figured that the only thing in my life that makes me unhappy is my job. I need some kind of change.... just don't know what to do.

The program I'm looking at is about 40k...... a lot of cash......
Unfortunately calculators can't calculate the price of sanity.
That's been my sticking point all my career and it just gets worse. My business is customer service and the only saving grace is I get to drive away from the location when the job is complete. No way in hell could I sit on a phone and take call after call for an entire shift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Geez, I can't believe you folks feel like going to school... Good luck!

The medical field is a good choice, though, Chow - it's not going anywhere, it can't be outsourced, you can't be replaced by automation, and it's recession-proof.
The field is a growing one, but technology promises the field will be doing more with less in the future. Hospitals are using networking & video to monitor patients from remote locations, this will eventually lead to staff reductions. Looks like the diagnostic side & ER is the place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships