Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,205,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Narcissism is ugly and hard to deal with.
Toxic Bosses Reflections on narcissistic bosses - BusinessWeek
1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance
2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance,
beauty, or ideal love
3. believes that he or she is “special” and unique
4. requires excessive admiration
5. has a sense of entitlement
6. is interpersonally exploitative
7. lacks empathy
8. is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
Wow, just wow is all I can say. This applies to the Op perfectly, but also to what I'm dealing with. I just didn't recognize it
My teacher fits this profile to a "T" and I can't stand it anymore. He actually just brags on himself endlessly to the class, then makes us look at his Facebook pictures to brag some more for another 20 minutes
He & I are clashing because big egos repulse me;I can't stand vanity--I don't know how I can deal with this dude much longer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM

143 posts, read 193,224 times
I agree, he sounds like a narcissist, all the way.

My ex-boyfriend was a narcissist. I'm not using the term lightly. You can't get anywhere with those kinds of people.

My last boss was someone I could not stand. She was controlling and micro-managing and power hungry. It made what used to be an enjoyable work environment become completely insufferable. After awhile though, I just started rolling with it and adapting to it. I tuned her out and didn't let her get to me so much.

I think it helps to just understand what kind of person your boss is, and accept that he won't change. Just shake your head, roll your eyes...and do your own thing.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,622,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Wow, just wow is all I can say. This applies to the Op perfectly, but also to what I'm dealing with. I just didn't recognize it
My teacher fits this profile to a "T" and I can't stand it anymore. He actually just brags on himself endlessly to the class, then makes us look at his Facebook pictures to brag some more for another 20 minutes
He & I are clashing because big egos repulse me;I can't stand vanity--I don't know how I can deal with this dude much longer
Don't get mad about it, really, they're kind of pitiful to listen to.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,958,140 times
I'd be looking for another job. This guy sounds like a tyrant.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:04 PM

21,258 posts, read 19,882,424 times
Sounds to me like you should be doing his job and he should be learning some humility at an entry level position. You work for an immature, needy child. Tell him you're there to do your job, not to be his friend or ego stroker.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM

36,792 posts, read 31,072,414 times
Creme, I didnt know you worked in my lab. LOL.
Go out drinking with your co-workers every friday afternoon and talk about your boss till his ears turn red then give it another 5 years .

Old 11-16-2011, 01:15 PM

525 posts, read 901,876 times
just marry him and get it over with.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:15 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,622,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
They make this stuff called prozac.....

1. who cares. Laugh or show you are jealous?
2. who cares. Someone hurts your feelings? I mean really. Its one thing if they are being an a-hole on purpose...
3. That is just how some people speak. Again..who cares. You focus.
4. WHO CARES. Just make stuff up. May as well have fun with it.
5. So he is talkative... again..who cares...
6.If you are going to "suggest" that is a challenge. SO be prepared to have some bite with your bark if needed.
7 what? If there is nothing to burn...a nose isnt going to spark it.

Really this is a prime example of why I prefer working with males on the majority. You don't have to LIKE who you work with. Its a job. Not a sewing circle. You are making issues out of a personality and say nothing about jobs getting done or not. THAT is what you should be focusing on. Not your hurt feelings over recipe stealing...my god. Sounds like that is what really ticked you off and now you are just building up reasons to hate him. (like how most females do)

And sorry if this seems harsh. Its just one of those common female reactions I see in offices that makes me want to shake sense into you.
It makes me want to yell: "GET A REAL PROBLEM"
I can't fully agree. Tho, there are times when the who cares attitude works it not always the case.

Taking credit for someone elses work is typical of a narcissist, they can be undermining and vicious in the business world.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:35 PM

28,984 posts, read 30,384,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Since he is your boss, you will have to find a way to adapt to him while trying to maintain a certain level of dignity and self respect.

Guys like him like to be humored and love being the center of attention. Instead of fighting your instincts to stroke his ego a little, give in from time to time. Next time he brags about a vacation getaway just say "Reeeaally, sounds like you had a great time". Maybe even ask him a question or two about it, guys like him eat that up.

Now keep in mind, he may not be as aloof to your aversion towards him as you think. Don't let on that he angers you or that you disapprove of his behavior, which really isn't bad, it's just that you don't find him tolerable at times.

We all have to compromise our tolerance of others and show restraint, especially in the workplace. Just remind yourself that you are living your life by your values, and you aren't compromising who you are as a person or what is important to you.
I'm trying very hard, and it took me 3 years to be able to tollerate him...but now, we all love him, b/c there are some likable qualities about him...many actually...it's just so hard to deal with the dark side...yanno, but I'm trying, to me and for me, this is some kind of test that my soul must get right, yanno?

Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM

28,984 posts, read 30,384,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
just marry him and get it over with.
Lord No!!!!! besides he is married and I ponder how she puts up with it, or maybe he isn't this way in front of her? Don't know...don't care....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships