Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,691,882 times

Advertisements

I'm not envious, I just want to know their secret to making it work. I fixed up two couples in my time. Both of them have been happily married for close to 20 years now. If I can do it for my friends, why the heck can't I do it for myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,039,675 times
No. I don't know that anyone has the perfect relationship. I know a married man who says their friends say that about them--You guys have the perfect relationship. He says he just laughs inside because after they part company, he and his wife go home to their house. Not home. House. Where they sleep in separate bedrooms and live their own lives outside an occasional dinner with friends. So much for perfect. He told one friend besides me they have separate bedrooms and she was livid. Can't say I blame her but then, why the facade?

Old 12-17-2011, 09:41 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I'm not envious, I just want to know their secret to making it work. I fixed up two couples in my time. Both of them have been happily married for close to 20 years now. If I can do it for my friends, why the heck can't I do it for myself?
It's easier to objectively assess the needs and personality of other people rather than yourself.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 PM

10,184 posts, read 20,830,400 times
While there aren't any "perfect" relationships, the ones that appear to be quite healthy and happy are more encouraging than anything. I enjoy seeing very compatible couples who are respectful and happy with one another, and thoroughly in love. It serves as evidence that it is possible in a time when divorce rates are at their highest.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:51 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,794,812 times
No, not envious. I do admire watching two people in love though, heartwarming.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,043,257 times
Quote:
It's about finding the right person who wants to put work into the relationship.

If you see a truly happy couple, you do not see what they do to each other behind closed doors. Not necessarily sexual related.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,200,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I know a few of my friends (emphasis on FEW as I know many who are content in their marriage but do not have an AMAZING marriage..there is a difference) who have the absolute PERFECT love story... met their soulmate when they were 15 in high school, dated for many years and only got crazier about each other, married in early 20s and now after 15 years of marriage still seem to be absolutely crazy about each other.

I used to think this kind of thing only exists in fairytale books but yet here they are. In my view it is the ideal that most people want but seems so elusive.

Do you have friends like this? If so, are you envious of their amazing luck? Do you think this is just pure luck or is there anything more to it? If you're in your 30s or later and have a checkered relationship past do you attribute it to just bad luck or mistakes that you made?
No, I am not envious. Envious people don't know what it takes to have successful relationships, or that it even takes something to have them.

I think the only luck I see here is that the lovers found each other amongst the envious people.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:32 AM

404 posts, read 702,802 times
Well, 3 pages of this and no one is ever envious? Not to call anyone here a liar, but given the amount of envy that one sees in real life (in many aspects, not just love) I honestly doubt the situation is as idyllic as shown in this thread ...

I'm gonna be braver and admit that yes, I sometimes am envious. As we know, sometimes life can be quite unfair and people who did nothing for it just "come across" that what you have been years wanting.

It's been quite better recently, since I have learned to accept the situation and just let life come as it is. But I won't lie: even now, sometimes I wish I could have what some people have.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carra View Post
Well, 3 pages of this and no one is ever envy? Not to call anyone here a liar, but given the amount of envy that one sees in real life (in many aspects, not just love) I honestly doubt the situation is as idyllic as shown in this thread ...

I'm gonna be braver and admit that yes, I sometimes am envious. As we know, sometimes life can be quite unfair and people who did nothing for it just "come across" that what you have been years wanting.

It's been quite better recently, since I have learned to accept the situation and just let life come as it is. But I won't lie: even now, sometimes I wish I could have what some people have.
That doesn't necessarily make a person envious.

I am not resentful toward people for what they have. I compliment them.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
I used to look for a secret, too, and I think I may have found it. They don't rely on good luck, they make their good luck, at least what is in their power to make. They set themselves up for success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships