Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times

Advertisements

I know a few of my friends (emphasis on FEW as I know many who are content in their marriage but do not have an AMAZING marriage..there is a difference) who have the absolute PERFECT love story... met their soulmate when they were 15 in high school, dated for many years and only got crazier about each other, married in early 20s and now after 15 years of marriage still seem to be absolutely crazy about each other.

I used to think this kind of thing only exists in fairytale books but yet here they are. In my view it is the ideal that most people want but seems so elusive.

Do you have friends like this? If so, are you envious of their amazing luck? Do you think this is just pure luck or is there anything more to it? If you're in your 30s or later and have a checkered relationship past do you attribute it to just bad luck or mistakes that you made?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 06:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
I think there are many great relationships but there are no prefect ones. You are seeing what they project to the outside world. You are not privy to their inner sanctum, the screaming in the mornings about why the toilet seat was left up and the dreaded long silences because the wrong type of bread was bought home from the supermarket

Old 12-17-2011, 06:44 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
No. I'm happy for them. They make me smile and make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:48 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
No because I didn't want to be married until I lived my 20s.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I think there are many great relationships but there are no prefect ones. You are seeing what they project to the outside world. You are not privy to their inner sanctum, the screaming in the mornings about why the toilet seat was left up and the dreaded long silences because the wrong type of bread was bought home from the supermarket
I agree. We have a pretty good relationship, but nothing is perfect, and like you said, it's the outer facade that most people project anyways......

Old 12-17-2011, 06:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
You're not seeing the whole story.

Anyway, I know of no such thing, so I'm definitely not envious of something that I don't believe actually exists.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
I don't know if I'd say it was envy, but I admired the relationship of two close friends' relationship. There's embodied everything I was looking for: cozy, little house but it was 'home', a dog that loved everyone, they didn't seem to want extravagant/material things, they were affectionate, etc.

They were together for several years and then one day the woman tells me they're finished. I was floored because I saw nothing to indicate a breakup was imminent. I asked what happened because everything seemed perfect. She said they just hid the problems well, they argued constantly, they no longer had the same goals, and that it was brewing for about a year. A year!

Another couple I am friends with went so far as to get married and then divorced a couple of months later. They were together for a few years. The reason given by the woman was that the man had a 'secret' life.

And another couple who did everything together and also seemed perfect had their relationship end recently. When the man explained why I was stunned because the reason for ending it now was the same reason he didn't like her in the beginning (but he chose to overlook it).

I'm not saying perfect relationships don't exist because maybe they do, but...

[what looks great on the outside isn't always indicative of what's happening on the inside]

Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,003 times
I have a really good relationship and a great wife of many years. She still amazes me. I feel very fortunate. I don't envy anyone who also has a good relationship.

No relationship is perfect. People looking for that "perfect relationship" will forever be disappointed.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
No because I didn't want to be married until I lived my 20s.
you can get married and still live your life. If you meet your soulmate then your life will be 10x better with them in it and that perfect person will not make you feel like you are missing anything. Not quite sure what you mean by "live" though.... are you saying you want to have sex with many different women?

As for one friend of mine, he posted on FB something about his wife's birthday that expressed his undying love for her and I was thinking what man speaks like this after 10 years of marriage...geez, at least I have never heard any man in a long term marriage speak about their wife like this... infact I have heard men only complain to me about how it's such a compromise for them! Suffice to say, I was pretty impressed.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I know a few of my friends (emphasis on FEW as I know many who are content in their marriage but do not have an AMAZING marriage..there is a difference) who have the absolute PERFECT love story... met their soulmate when they were 15 in high school, dated for many years and only got crazier about each other, married in early 20s and now after 15 years of marriage still seem to be absolutely crazy about each other.

I used to think this kind of thing only exists in fairytale books but yet here they are. In my view it is the ideal that most people want but seems so elusive.

Do you have friends like this? If so, are you envious of their amazing luck? Do you think this is just pure luck or is there anything more to it? If you're in your 30s or later and have a checkered relationship past do you attribute it to just bad luck or mistakes that you made?
do I want to find things or thoughts to make myself unhappy over?

no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships