Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I think it rings true that women go through most of their trouble to impress other women, not men (I especially think this is true for eyebrow-plucking!) They'd probably disagree with that, but as a guy, I think I've heard enough unedited input from other guys about what they want in a woman, ahem! True that we want a pretty face, but I don't think makeup makes that much of a difference. Plus I think there's some sort of a psychological barrier when you put up that PHYSICAL barrier of lipstick, not sure...

It's much like lying about your age. It might attract the man to you but under false pretenses. He needs to know what you're going to look like the morning after, BEFORE the morning after.

Now to be a hypocrite.

If a woman wants to put on makeup before a formal occasion like a dinner party, let her! It only makes you look luckier (even if it makes you look uglier).
I agree to an extent, but a lot of that impressing is competition. Ultimately most of our behaviour is to do with mating. If you think most guys don't care about makeup though, think again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 07:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree to an extent, but a lot of that impressing is competition. Ultimately most of our behaviour is to do with mating. If you think most guys don't care about makeup though, think again.
Sure. The funny part is, though, that all the males of the other species look prettier! Probably because those critters have no access to make-up!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Maybe in a competitive situation, they do. But without that being a factor, if a guy's single and straight, he's going to get with a girl regardless of makeup so long as she gets his attention in SOME way. Not saying LOOKS don't matter, but makeup, not really. I do concede that part of the point of makeup is to get his attention more easily, but it's far from necessary.

Then again, I don't think guys are typically attracted to women. Everybody say . What I mean is that a man usually finds a woman attractive in the sense that he'd be interested. But most guys are not going to be drawn toward a woman who's not interacting with him first in some way no matter what she looks like. I've usually seen and heard about it along these lines. The woman gives him a sign (or at least in his mind), he approaches, they hook up if she says so.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
As a woman that has blonde eyebrows and eyelashes...even in my younger days have never looked great au-natural...people usually ask if I am feeling well when I'm bare faced!!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I've had ex's that specifically said they liked me with no make up and the others didn't say anything but didn't run away in the morning, lol.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM

Maybe if women stopped wearing so much makeup people would get used to the natural look and appreciate it more and find it more beautiful.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Sure. The funny part is, though, that all the males of the other species look prettier! Probably because those critters have no access to make-up!
I always think of this. Modern culture is the only culture where women wear makeup and men don't. In most other cultures to think of, if women wore it so did men. It's the only culture where women show off more of their body than men.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Maybe if women stopped wearing so much makeup people would get used to the natural look and appreciate it more and find it more beautiful.
Actually it's a good idea women wear it, we already effed up the planet and have SPF in many foundations.

Although I only wear sunblock in the summer.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Modern culture is the only culture where women wear makeup and men don't. In most other cultures to think of, if women wore it so did men. It's the only culture where women show off more of their body than men.
Come to think of it, that's true, too. Role reversal, I guess! Maybe that's why relationships are so "successful"!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
My sister sells Mary Kay, and they require her to wear makeup everywhere she goes as advertising. She goes overboard with it. She wears two or three different colors on her eyelids and heavy lipstick and lip gloss. It's just too much.

I don't wear makeup; I never have. It's not that I don't care about my looks, I just don't like to fool with it. I live in a humid climate, and I can't imagine walking around outside with foundation on my face. I agree with whomever said that looking fit and healthy makes my skin look way better than slathering on foundation.

And if you look ill without makeup, shouldn't that be a signal that something should be addressed internally? If I wore makeup and someone saw me without it and told me I looked ill, I would be concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships