Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 01:55 PM

732 posts, read 1,046,218 times

Advertisements

"I am a middle-aged woman who has been looking for a good loving man for a long time but was never able to find one because, truthfully, I'm not the best looking woman around and so many American men nowadays seem to want attractive, petite women. I've gone through so many heartaches and disappointments and it's been so discouraging."

"I feel that time is running short for me so instead of trying to find the right man in America, I decided to search in a country overseas where I hear nice men are eager to meet women such as myself, who have so much to give."

"It was a great experience! I met SO many nice eager men who really seemed to like and appreciate me. They talked to me, flirted with me and made me feel so alive and special. I think I made a connection with one man in particular and I want to remain in contact and see him again. I really feel so happy and hope my days of searching are ending."

I made this scenario up. I just reversed the genders and made the story a bit more applicable so as to come from a woman. There's NO doubt in my mind if the above story was true, most everyone here would be cheering and rooting for this woman. There would be exclamations of "You Go Girl!" "So Happy For You!" "Right On!" Well, you get the point.

Why so much anger and scepticism for the man relating his story? The assumption is that he's trying to buy a sex/domestic slave and he's both a pervert and a fool. Yet, in my phony scenario, nobody would think such a thing. They would applaud a woman trying her darndest to find a good man, regardless of where she searches.

Gender reversal. Works every time.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:02 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
"I am a middle-aged woman who has been looking for a good loving man for a long time but was never able to find one because, truthfully, I'm not the best looking woman around and so many American men nowadays seem to want attractive, petite women. I've gone through so many heartaches and disappointments and it's been so discouraging."

"I feel that time is running short for me so instead of trying to find the right man in America, I decided to search in a country overseas where I hear nice men are eager to meet women such as myself, who have so much to give."

"It was a great experience! I met SO many nice eager men who really seemed to like and appreciate me. They talked to me, flirted with me and made me feel so alive and special. I think I made a connection with one man in particular and I want to remain in contact and see him again. I really feel so happy and hope my days of searching are ending."

I made this scenario up. I just reversed the genders and made the story a bit more applicable so as to come from a woman. There's NO doubt in my mind if the above story was true, most everyone here would be cheering and rooting for this woman. There would be exclamations of "You Go Girl!" "So Happy For You!" "Right On!" Well, you get the point.

Why so much anger and scepticism for the man relating his story? The assumption is that he's trying to buy a sex/domestic slave and he's both a pervert and a fool. Yet, in my phony scenario, nobody would think such a thing. They would applaud a woman trying her darndest to find a good man, regardless of where she searches.

Ummmm don't think so.....

PS...and if you want to know why I think this, feel free to PM me as I am not going to hijack this thread.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:06 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:

My reaction would be 100% stronger telling her not to do. At least the guys that do it don't really seem concerned about love, I think a woman would confuse the "purchase" of her man with being loved. Therefore the stronger reaction.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:

This doesn't sound nice.. it sounds exactly the same as the OP, lame.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:10 PM

370 posts, read 1,366,091 times
If the OP said something like, "I was in Thailand visiting and met a girl through my friend (who is also Thai) and we are really in love and we plan on getting to know each other via letters, the internet, and so on to see if we hit it off, then less of us would be skeptical.

But instead it was "I found me a mail order bride" "because American women want $$$ and a man with a status job." And how she will be your fantasy bride and ever so grateful for you.

Come on, insert any Third World country for Thailand. We'd still be skeptical of the possibility of this being a fair and equitable relationship.

By the by, my friend, OP, I wish you well. I've dealt with IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION (or whatever they call it) and you better have some good story to tell them or think about staying and living in Thailand.

They can spot PHONY a mile away.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:

You obviously never read his first thread on this subject which is the reason people have issues with him. No one cares that he wants to go outside the country to find a wife at all. What people take issue with is his attitude that American women are all gold diggers,want a hot guy, play games,and run 20 guys at a time because they can. He complains about the fact he has issues with women, but fails to think HE might be the problem. I mean the guy is 45 and shows up to pick up his date with his car which has a breathalyser on it and wonders why a woman might have an issue. He goes on and on about how he should not settle for less, but then says women should settle for him even though he has flaws.....so you were saying?

Old 01-14-2012, 02:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
For these young girls though, their life being mauled by old men is obviously preferable to life in Thailand!
The American age bias doesn't exist in Asia. Older people are respected. It is considered an honor, I believe to be chosen by a mature, successful man. By marrying and older [American] man, these girls ensure that they will have a better life for their children (and probably other members of their family).

I don't see anything wrong with that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-14-2012, 02:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
If the OP said something like, "I was in Thailand visiting and met a girl through my friend (who is also Thai) and we are really in love and we plan on getting to know each other via letters, the internet, and so on to see if we hit it off, then less of us would be skeptical.

But instead it was "I found me a mail order bride" "because American women want $$$ and a man with a status job." And how she will be your fantasy bride and ever so grateful for you.

Come on, insert any Third World country for Thailand. We'd still be skeptical of the possibility of this being a fair and equitable relationship.

By the by, my friend, OP, I wish you well. I've dealt with IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION (or whatever they call it) and you better have some good story to tell them or think about staying and living in Thailand.

They can spot PHONY a mile away.
Yeah, I've dated exchange students, hell , that's how I learned Spanish.. but she was far from a gold-digger and she was not looking for a visa... I also didn't meet her on a website for marriages lol, I also didn't meet her going out and saying "I hate American girls, so I'm gonna search for a foreigner". I met her because I liked HER, not her race.

Now that I think about it, both of my girlfriends were not born in USA hahah.

Nothing wrong with having a thing for accents ... ok maybe i'm weird, I will end my post now

Old 01-14-2012, 02:21 PM

370 posts, read 1,366,091 times
Yes, I agree. My husband is from an English speaking foreign country. We have been married nearly 20 years.

I don't go around saying all American men suck. There are nice ones out there.

If someone likes a foreign culture/people go for it. But stop picking on half the population of the USA!

Not all ladies in the USA are gold diggers!!

Old 01-14-2012, 02:38 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Wow, what a cynical man you are. No wonder you find it so hard to attract a nice woman. Such negativity is very unattractive.
Who said I was even trying. I'm not even really trying to date now. And sorry I don't think of myself as cynical, just realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships