Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
When I think 'cougars' I usually think 15-20 years...no I don't stereotype like that at all though. I'm criticising society's stereotypes.
Thing is, when you use the terms, you promote the stereotype.

At any rate, it's still best to take people on an individual basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

Point taken. I didn't want to say 'older women' because the term 'cougar' conveys a more specific meaning, evoking the stereotype of women who go specifically searching for younger men (as distinct from some who just don't bring age into the equation). I was trying to find out how many women who specifically seek out younger men do so for reasons other than sex.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Taco View Post
Cougars are no different then men who like younger girls. I am a cougar and I dated younger men and it was fun I notice some men over 45 seem to be less vibrant sociallly and sexually. I personally want to go out and stay out late at times and A lot of older men are not into that anymore. I notice men who get older also have more issues with erectial disfuction. So thus why older women are seeking younger men. I would not date anyone young enough to be my son . I would feel odd about that.
They aren't. The only reason why historically the older man/younger man thing was in nature the older males tend to become dominant through fighting experience (up to a point though - I'd say after their physical peak, 35 or so, they decline in the pecking order). So in that sense it's more 35 yo woman and 25 yo which is natural, NOT a 60 yo man with a 30 yo which is as unnatural in nature and usually exists because such man is wealthy.

In nature it's still common for males to go for females older than them, as long as the female isn't too old as to be infertile. Other than biology it makes sense. If you don't want kids I think it makes total sense. Since women live about 5 years longer on average, peak later sexually, a gap where the woman is 5 years old is ideal.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,790 times
Quote:
Point taken. I didn't want to say 'older women' because the term 'cougar' conveys a more specific meaning, evoking the stereotype of women who go specifically searching for younger men (as distinct from some who just don't bring age into the equation). I was trying to find out how many women who specifically seek out younger men do so for reasons other than sex.
And that meaning is NEGATIVE, just as MILF and GILF PUHHLLLESSSE!!!!!! older women and younger men have been going on for awhile, but it was these damnable Canadians who coined the phrase and has made a legit pairing of these two a living hell for those who prefer younger men and not for the sex!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
And that meaning is NEGATIVE, just as MILF and GILF PUHHLLLESSSE!!!!!! older women and younger men have been going on for awhile, but it was these damnable Canadians who coined the phrase and has made a legit pairing of these two a living hell for those who prefer younger men and not for the sex!
I agree. The purpose of this thread was to dispel that stereotype, which annoys me too. I appreciate older women myself, not because I view them as sex-hungry 'cougars' but for their wisdom and maturity.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,657,337 times
Quote:
Sing all together now..."Blame it on Canada"...one of SouthParks funnier episodes!!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,790 times
Quote:
I agree. The purpose of this thread was to dispel that stereotype, which annoys me too. I appreciate older women myself, not because I view them as sex-hungry 'cougars' but for their wisdom and maturity.
But your title of this thread, belies your intentions....

However, with that said, dispelling that stereotype will now almost be impossible due to the media and people bandying the words around...esp. those boys in high school.

And to address your topic, most of us in these types of relationships really didn't look for them to happen as they did per se. There are many younger men with "older souls" and older women with "younger souls" who just match up!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
But your title of this thread, belies your intentions....

However, with that said, dispelling that stereotype will now almost be impossible due to the media and people bandying the words around...esp. those boys in high school.

And to address your topic, most of us in these types of relationships really didn't look for them to happen as they did per se. There are many younger men with "older souls" and older women with "younger souls" who just match up!
Sometimes people misunderstand my intentions. I guess I was addressing a stereotype and looking for exceptions. I'm sorry if you saw it differently.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm wondering how many women are offended by terms like Cougar. I mean really if you break it down, it is pretty demeaning to older women.

IDK, maybe its just me.

I find it offensive because of the way it's used. I've dated mostly younger men, since I left my 20's. It has nothing to do with "sexual prowess" or whatever other crap/nonsense people assume. I don't go out searching and asking how guys how old they are. It's simply that I wind up with younger men. Most of the older guys are not into the sort of activities and fitness stuff that I am...so a younger guy is simply more my "style". So friggin' what.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

Exactly. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships