Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Women saying they don't care if the guy is poor is like men saying they don't care if the woman is ugly and fat. Now, is money (for women) or looks (for men) the most important thing in a relationship? Maybe not unless someone is superficial but we can't deny they do play an important role.
This. Money is to women what beauty is to men.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 PM

307 posts, read 631,158 times
How much do you mean by not much money? Do you mean he is 30 and still lives at home with no prospects of working? Or do you mean a guy that is out there trying but just doesn't make a lot?

My husband makes about as much as I do, which isn't a large amount but is comfortable enough if we stick to the budget. Before I met him there were times that I wouldn't have minded supporting a non-working husband as long as he did all of the traditional stay-at-home spouse duties. However I would never agree to support another adult if they weren't making an equal effort to support the household either financially or non-financially. So if I met a man that didn't appear to be trying, I wouldn't be interested in dating him.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:05 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,667,194 times
Of course money is an issue, anyone says its not is full of s***, you can fall in love, but when it turns serious and you are thinking lifetime partner, you want to have kids and house, you're not going to stay with a guy who will never make more than $10 an hour. Unless she plans on caring the full load herself.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:05 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
I'd like to know from women why men who don't make much aren't wanted by women, most men I know, especially black men aren't dating at all and they're over 30. Is it a cultural issue that blacks do or is this more common from all women?
Your question is really confusing. Are you asking us why women aren't attracted to men who don't have money, or why women aren't dating black men over 30, or why women aren't dating black men who don't have money?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with ambition. If someone is working minimum wage but going to school full time I would not knock anyone for that. I'm pretty self-sufficient and don't want or expect to be taken care of by anyone, so I would definitely date someone with little to no money as long as they had aspirations.
Very well put. I've yet to date a man who makes more than me (and I make under 50k) and it really doesn't matter as long as they have aspirations. I don't expect a six figure income by any means, but of you're content living in a 3 bedroom house with 2 other roommates making $10 an hour then I reall can't see us going past the casually dating phase.

I have ambition and goals and I expect the same out of a potential husband.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
Who would want to knowingly get into a relationship with very little or no money? Once in the relationship, you would almost certainly be supporting them.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. The reasons for the man to not have money can very greatly and cause them to be even less attractive. A 30 year old adolescent who isn't mature enough to get and hold a decent job, and be independent, is not going to look like much of a catch to women.

An individual who has a history of holding good jobs, but who may have been laid off but has good prospects for another job is going to be relatively more attractive than the 30 year old adolescent.

Lots of shades of grey in this, but it boils down to the fact that women don't want to have to support a lazy guy... and a guy with no money can easily begin to look like a lazy mooch (depending on circumstance).

Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 PM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
As a woman I expect a man who is over the age of 30 to have a stable and strong source of income. After at least twelve years of being able to have a job and hopefully after a college education I expect a man to have made something of himself. If after a decade you haven't done that then why would any woman want to be with you?
OUCH! That is cold.

Many people who used to make a good income are struggling with the economic downturn in recent years. Things happen.

I'll answer the question - maybe the guy makes a fair to decent living, has a good heart, is loyal, honest, volunteers for the good of humanity, and will treat you and others well. That obviously takes a backseat as far as you're concerned. Not so sucessful men deserve love too, but sadly not according to you.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:23 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I have never, nor would I ever, date a man based on the size of his wallet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with ambition. If someone is working minimum wage but going to school full time I would not knock anyone for that. I'm pretty self-sufficient and don't want or expect to be taken care of by anyone, so I would definitely date someone with little to no money as long as they had aspirations.
So, since a man has no money, you would be totally fine with being the ones who ask him out, pay for his dinners and wine, pay for his entertainment, etc. I mean, money is not a problem so you being the ones who take care of expenses wouldn't be a big deal, right?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:27 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,298,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
OUCH! That is cold.

Many people who used to make a good income are struggling with the economic downturn in recent years. Things happen.

I'll answer the question - maybe the guy makes a fair to decent living, has a good heart, is loyal, honest, volunteers for the good of humanity, and will treat you and others well. That obviously takes a backseat as far as you're concerned. Not so sucessful men deserve love too, but sadly not according to you.
While I understand we are in a depression the cold hard truth of the matter is that women don't want to struggle even in the worst of times. We want a man with money to keep up our standard of living regardless of the current economy. It is what it is.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:30 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

Expecting a grown man to have a solid income and college education (especially if the woman has the same) amounts to being a 'gold digger?' LOL. Count me in then.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-27-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.