Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,938,961 times

Advertisements

I'm in this mostly for the humor, but I can certainly understand the possibilities..

Imagine if someone were to fall for someone, have similar goals, and get along fabulously, but then one finds out that the other has debts totalling $100,000; does this change the dynamic? In many cases, yes.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,196,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
I'd like to know from women why men who don't make much aren't wanted by women, most men I know, especially black men aren't dating at all and they're over 30. Is it a cultural issue that blacks do or is this more common from all women?
The endless debate here on CD - basically why are all women gold diggers? First of all - most successful marriages are built on love - not money. Money comes and money goes. Anyone who only marries for money will most likely not have a happy or successful marriage.
Secondly - most women are not gold diggers. Face it - it's the truth. I know many people on here would love to believe this because it places all the blame on women - but it's just not true.

HOWEVER - I will say this - I can understand why a single woman who wants to have children soon would want to be with someone that is moderately successful or at least motivated to earn a decent living. Unless a woman has a great job with great benefits and maternity leave - it's really hard to work right after you have a baby. And to be perfectly honest - some women don't want to go back to work right after having a baby. I can understand why someone wanting to have a child soon would want a partner with the same goals in mind - and would be capable of supporting a family. This isn't gold digging - this is just being smart about your future.

Lastly - most people are attracted to confidence and talent. My husband is really good at his job - and I find that very attractive. He also thinks I'm super talented at what I do - and I love that. I WANT someone who can see that I'm good at what I do - and I want to be with someone who is good at what they do, too. It's hard for me to imagine being attracted to someone who was incompetent in their chosen career. And this isn't about money - but about self-awareness.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,300,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'm in this mostly for the humor, but I can certainly understand the possibilities..

Imagine if someone were to fall for someone, have similar goals, and get along fabulously, but then one finds out that the other has debts totalling $100,000; does this change the dynamic? In many cases, yes.
Yes it does because I work hard for my money and I don't want to get my finances screwed over because of someone who can't handle money. If they can't handle their own there is no way in hell they are gonna land their grubby paws on mine!

Being a financial match is important. Most fights are over money and if you know it is going to be a problem then you just shouldn't get attached.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:56 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
When women have good paying jobs and are independent, men whine that they aren't needed. Yet, when a woman looks for a man who has money and can be a good provider she is called a golddigger. I wish men will make up their damn mind
Excellent point.

Something else that confuses me, and perhaps someone here can shed some light, is why some desire qualities in a mate they can't provide for themselves. Women wanting men with money implies that these women cannot obtain money on their own. This means, in part, that they are probably not terribly well educated, not professionally savy, are lacking in some way. How do these people logically reconcile the hypocrisy?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:57 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,300,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Excellent point.

Something else that confuses me, and perhaps someone here can shed some light, is why some desire qualities in a mate they can't provide for themselves. Women wanting men with money implies that these women cannot obtain money on their own. This means, in part, that they are probably not terribly well educated, not professionally savy, are lacking in some way. How do these people logically reconcile the hypocrisy?
Because there is no hypocrisy. You always want what you can't/don't have. That is basic human nature that everyone feels.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,368,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
On the other side of this token I would like to point out that most men don't like the idea of having a women support them. It bruises the male ego to realize that they can't provide for themselves or their mate.

Absolutely. Men who value their roles as men will definately feel this way.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 PM

44,378 posts, read 20,097,476 times
Closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-27-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.