Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,807,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
it's not about the money in itself but rather the attribute of ambition. Women believe a man's key role is to be successful in obtaining resources for the family...that is the biological purpose of men and this applies independently of what a woman makes herself. If a man is poor then the unconscious thinking is that a man has failed in this essential purpose and would not be an ideal mate.

Similarly a man is biologically very strongly wired to pursue good genes and this is why fat or unattractive women are rejected.

It's a primal instinct and discussed in anthropology quite often.
Uh, that may have been the case thousands of years ago but the idea that this is true is ridiculous at best. Plenty of fat men AND women are 'getting it on' so your 'anthropological' explanation doesn't wash now.

That's the thing with these professorial types - they think everything can be explained away with their loony ideas within their minds but the real world offers a much different view.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,299,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
That's the truth only in YOUR experience. You certainly do not speak for all women by any stretch.
Oh I certainly don't speak for all women but even you can't deny that it isn't the case of the majority.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned.

Actually I graduated with a degree in linguistics with an additional TESOL certificate but whatever.

Mod cut: Orphaned. I don't like the idea of having a man provide for me financially. Especially since I can do that just fine on my own but I am in a special circumstance where I was forced to compromise.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-27-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,282,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
Actually quite the opposite. I am a TESOL teacher and I insisted that I keep my job even though I married rich. Trust me when I say that it wasn't the money I was after when I married my Husband.

Your other posts in this thread negates this statement.

You actually believe that even though we are in a depression, women don't want to struggle? That's pretty easy for you to say, considering that you married rich. No one wants to struggle; but I believe that the economic times make this a sad reality for the common folk. How would you fare if your husband lost everything?

My husband was laid off in August and has yet to find a job. Yes, he is college educated, and he has drive and ambition. He is also used to being the provider. This change has been harder on him than it has on me, truthfully. If my husband were happily unemployed, that would be a problem. He is looking diligently for a job, not sitting on his behind in a pit party.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,799,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
So it goes down to "Men should have money and take care of their woman...Women should cook and do house chores".
No, it shouldn't. I was talking about biological wiring. This is an evolution for the society in hunter-gatherer times. Society has undergone huge changes but our biological drives remain.

It is similar to our problem with obesity. People are fat because the body was adapted for hunter gatherer times when food was scarce and the body had to undergo a lot of exercise to obtain this food. Today food is available at our fingertips and we don't have to work for it...which is the exact reason why we are fat. Our drive is still to eat more and save for the hard times...except that in today's society there ARE no hard times on the same scale as hunter gatherer times.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:57 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned; off topic.

The truth is that times are hard. I know how it is when you don't have enough to eat or know where you will be living ect. I know I wouldn't be thrilled if my Husband and I lost everything and neither would anyone else but money does NOT buy happiness. I never said it did. I just put forth the truth that women want a man who can take care of himself and them. Sure that is an unpopular opinion but you can't deny that it is the truth.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-27-2012 at 03:03 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,394,742 times
The original question is a gross stereotype and generalization. If you're encountering women who only care about men with money, then you're attracted to or hanging around only golddiggers.

Marriage is hard enough when you truly love your partner. A marriage where the women marries for money and not love is a doomed relationship. Money will NEVER buy you happiness. Look at people like Demi Moore, who is a ga-zillionaire and who is a trainwreck emotionally and physically. There are countless other examples of rich people who are morbidly miserable.

Give most women a choice between a middle-class man whom they truly love and a rich fat cat they don't give a damn about, and 90% of women would choose love. If the OP hasn't met women like this, then he's hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:03 PM

410 posts, read 743,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
So, since a man has no money, you would be totally fine with being the ones who ask him out, pay for his dinners and wine, pay for his entertainment, etc. I mean, money is not a problem so you being the ones who take care of expenses wouldn't be a big deal, right?
If I have the means to pay for those things, and I enjoy the company of the person, then absolutely I would pay. Why wouldn't I?

There have been times where I was 'breadwinner', and there have been times where my boyfriend was the 'breadwinner'. Regardless of who was paying, we both enjoyed ourselves because of who we were with, not who was paying.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:03 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned.

I certainly earn my keep in this relationship.

I would be terribly saddened by a divorce. I hope that I will never have to experience such hardship. Money really can't buy happiness. I know because I have lived as both terribly poor and terribly well off and the only thing that really brings me happiness is the closeness and love that I enjoy with my Husband.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-27-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 02:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,207,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKintobor View Post
I certainly earn my keep in this relationship.

I would be terribly saddened by a divorce. I hope that I will never have to experience such hardship. Money really can't buy happiness. I know because I have lived as both terribly poor and terribly well off and the only thing that really brings me happiness is the closeness and love that I enjoy with my Husband.
If he was robbed of his fortune/inheritance/trust-fund/whatever you would have no problem downgrading your lifestyle and contributing 50% of your income, however tiny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.