Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:45 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times

Advertisements

Of course! I don't think people realize just how much personality and familiarity affect attraction. I've even thought some women were attractive at first but then changed my mind when I learned more about them. And it wasn't really a conscious decision either (as in, "Man, she's hot, but I shouldn't get with her because..."). It was a genuine turn-off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 02:24 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Of course! I don't think people realize just how much personality and familiarity affect attraction. I've even thought some women were attractive at first but then changed my mind when I learned more about them. And it wasn't really a conscious decision either (as in, "Man, she's hot, but I shouldn't get with her because..."). It was a genuine turn-off
I have had that happen to me, but not the other way around.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:32 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
Absolutely happens all the time and is no different than meeting a girl who seems super attractive at first, but the more you know her, the less attractive she gets. I guess all it really means, is that you are getting to know this girl and associate her other traits to her physical beauty. Its actually a really fascinating topic IMO. THe beauty truly IS in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:36 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,450 times
no, i think attraction grows if their personality is good, but i've never experiened a girl that I wasnt physically attracted to become more attractive to me. im not sure if we are talking looks or personality. Give me personality and some looks over totally one or the other

Old 01-28-2012, 02:48 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
There's a distinction between a sort of short-term initial, immediate attraction and the sort of long-term attraction that comes with getting to know a person, and long-term bonding, etc. but the distinction seems to be lost sometimes on some people.

"Love at first sight", as the cliche describes, is an idealized case where the initial attraction matches perfectly with later attraction ie. "from the exact moment we met and I gazed into his/her eyes and he/she gazed into mine, we knew we were meant for one another, and grow old together blah blah....

But very often, reality doesn't work like that. People could be totally "mad with love" in the short term, initial type of attraction and then grow to hate the person in the longer run, or on the other hand, end up after a period of time, falling for someone they hated to begin with.

People differ in how quickly they can get attracted to a person, whether they are attracted sexually, emotionally, both or only attracted but don't feel attached etc.

It's all pretty complicated, and the fact that we often use the same words (love, romance, sexual attaction, attachment etc.) to paint many types of attraction with a broad brush, whether long term or short, ends up making it more confusing to talk about across people with different experiences, preferences and desires.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM

409 posts, read 498,109 times
I wouldn't really know, I think I did once before....but I just denied/ignored it. Reason being , cuz I'm a shallow pr*k.

I've seen much flak thrown at my friend's gf got (from me and my other friends who were also his friend) behind his &her backs (about her attractiveness), so that would make me super conscious, and also a factor into my thinking/choice/attraction.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:41 PM

591 posts, read 866,677 times
Nope. I know in 2 seconds and it never changes. However, if you're talking over many years when your entire taste range has changed, then sure. But then it's too late.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
I wouldn't really know, I think I did once before....but I just denied/ignored it. Reason being , cuz I'm a shallow pr*k.

I've seen much flak thrown at my friend's gf got (from me and my other friends who were also his friend) behind his &her backs (about her attractiveness), so that would make me super conscious, and also a factor into my thinking/choice/attraction.
She was unattractive, you mean?

Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,840 times
yes it has happened to me, but I can't find the girl ugly or repulsive maybe just not really noticably attractive to me

Old 01-29-2012, 02:13 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,585,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
...and then became attracted to her later?
Well I have met women who was maybe a 5 and just below what I'd consider, and then made some changes and became a 6 and I started to think of the possibility, but there haven't been any magic turn-arounds happening.
It's mostly women who start out looking good that goes the other direction...
Hot women can become unnatractive through bad personality, but unnattractive women just wont cut it regardless of personality, they become female friends instead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships