Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 PM

410 posts, read 515,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
The cooks earn a higher hourly wage. Sad, but true.
I'm just saying that I would much rather tip the cooks for the delicious meal they made, rather than tipping a waitress for her looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
No, it wouldn't, but that's the point. If a restaurant has to pay a server $8/hour with no gratuity instead of $3/hour anticipating tips, that extra money has to be made up somewhere.
Then that sounds like a discussion that the waiter/waitress needs to have with management, not with the patrons. I don't understand how a worker can demand a certain amount in tips simply because they are afraid to negotiate the appropriate accomodations with their employers.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:37 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Btw, how exactly did 15-20% gratuity become the status quo?...because the price of the food is clearly not proportional to the amount of work the waiter is subjected to. If anything, gratuity should be a flat fee.
I think the thinking goes that the degree of expected service goes up with cost of the meal. A fine dining establishment is going to have a higher service expectation than a Denny's. That certainly has been my experience.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Then that sounds like a discussion that the waiter/waitress needs to have with management, not with the patrons. I don't understand how a worker can demand a certain amount in tips simply because they are afraid to negotiate the appropriate accomodations with their employers.

It is not one employees expectation. It is the entire society's expectation upon which the national minimum wage law is written.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Long thread so I am not going to read all the posts.

On dates I always paid since I was the person doing the inviting, that is why it's called a "date", dutch is for two or more friends going out together.

If a guy can't afford to pay the whole bill, whatever that may be, he can't afford to date.

I don't understand why some women think it is bad if he pays the full bill.

When me and the woman were past the "dating" stage, depending on finances, sometimes I paid, sometimes she paid.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
some of you are missing the point (or grasping for straws). at the end of the day, most servers make a decent enough wage. this is not the complaint. the complaint is that non-tippers are essentially free-loaders who are recieving a service they are not paying for. the service you recieve in a restaurant can really make or break your experience there. the tipping culture is a great way to ensure better service and a better experience, as your server is going to be motivated by the possibility of receiving a better tip. if you are receiving this restaurant service yet categorically refusing to pay for it, you are a classless individual. if you dont want to be waited on there are plenty of establishments where you don't have to worry about this. you can even get take out at a decent restaurant.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Btw, how exactly did 15-20% gratuity become the status quo?...Because the price of the food is clearly not proportional to the amount of work the waiter is subjected to. If anything, gratuity should be a flat fee.
Who knows. Probably the same people who think a wedding ring should be the cost of a man's salary times 3...or whatever it is.

BTW I don't know how much "work" it really is if they take my order, bring out my food with a condiment. Let some tell it, they butchered the bull and grew the potatoes.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:40 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Exactly. It's daylight slavery, and the restaurant owner, the biggest culprit gets not even 1/10th of the stick. I patronize the restaurant for romantic purposes and quell my hunger. There's no room for social service. I get to do plenty of that outside.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think the thinking goes that the degree of expected service goes up with cost of the meal. A fine dining establishment is going to have a higher service expectation than a Denny's. That certainly has been my experience.
Oh "fine dining" .. the places where you pay $100+ for two people then have to stop and get a pizza on the way home because ya'll are still hungry.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is not one employees expectation. It is the entire society's expectation upon which the national minimum wage law is written.
"society's expectation" Please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships