Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 01:30 PM

526 posts, read 955,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
How did this thread go from going dutch to supporting drunk hobos to tipping wars and congress lol. Are we really that bored tonight
I was wondering the same thing If a new poster does not read through this thread, he/she is going to be very lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
You call me "tightwad" yet you starve? Again who's losing out on that deal? lol
Restaurants are a luxury not a necessity. No one starves for lack of a restaurant meal. Yes I call anyone too tight to tip their server a tightwad and a scumbag who deserves the waitstaff to store snot rockets in their meal.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:

Anyway, that math doesn't balance out. Adding 15-20% gratuity (which some restaurants do already) would not double the cost of the meal.
No, it wouldn't, but that's the point. If a restaurant has to pay a server $8/hour with no gratuity instead of $3/hour anticipating tips, that extra money has to be made up somewhere.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
THey want the best of both worlds...the job of their choice...and to dictate how much of my money they think they've earned.
Problem is people have been brainwashed into gauging an individual's behaviour and outlook based on something so trivial as tipping. There's a poster who said it's the sign for the date of the opposite sex towards future misery.

You catch me on a bad day, I'll be walking out without tipping at all, becoz I pretty much dictate how much money I hand out or don't.

Is that a benchmark for me as a person? My character? Nope. As I once mentioned, I go through repetitive cycles of good crocodile bad crocodile. If you happen to come across me on the wrong cycle, it's your fault - bad timing.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,406 times
Quote:
Either that or go out of business because patrons would refuse spend twice as much.

Anyway, that math doesn't balance out. Adding 15-20% gratuity (which some restaurants do already) would not double the cost of the meal.
Btw, how exactly did 15-20% gratuity become the status quo?...Because the price of the food is clearly not proportional to the amount of work the waiter is subjected to. If anything, gratuity should be a flat fee.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:34 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGirl View Post
I was wondering the same thing If a new poster does not read through this thread, he/she is going to be very lost
I think it speaks directly to the kind of guy the OP's date is.

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Is that a benchmark for me as a person? My character? Nope. As I once mentioned, I go through repetitive cycles of good crocodile bad crocodile. If you happen to come across me on the wrong cycle, it's your fault - bad timing.
How is you being a dick at random because you're on some power trip the fault of someone else and not a benchmark of your character?

3,083 posts, read 4,879,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Or find a new job. Nobody is forcing these people to work here. It's not a prison.
so if they all leave their jobs who will serve? I guess you can avoid paying tips by getting your own food from the chef directly..

Old 02-13-2012, 01:35 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
This insanely long thread (stupid tipping argument excepted) is why there are social norms. Etiquette dictates that whoever did the inviting does the paying. Why is that so difficult? OP, who did the asking? Even if it was from match.com, ONE of you had to say, "Let's meet for dinner." Who was that? Whoever it was should've paid for the entire bill. Period. End of argument.

But I must say, to the women on here saying that the man should always pay, what the he** is that all about? I am a woman, and I find that so offensive. Thank you for commoditizing us. No man is OBLIGATED to pay for my dinner unless HE asked me out. I don't understand the angst over opening up that cute little Kate Spade wallet and buying your date's dinner if you asked him out or suggested the date.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Btw, how exactly did 15-20% gratuity become the status quo?...because the price of the food is clearly not proportional to amount of work the waiter is subjected to. If anything, gratuity should be a flat fee.
On one of the dates which forced that 15% gratuity on me automatically, the imbecile did nothing but pour water on my glasses, three or four times. A lamp post could do that job. Well, actually a lamp post is stationary. You get the point anyway.

I didn't flinch. I just signed my autograph and walked out pretending like I wasn't miffed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships