Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,554 times

Advertisements

Just say its more cushion for the pushin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Dude, you have a choice.

You can be an immature boy.

GF: I gained some weight and am self-conscious about it.
BF: I know you're always right. And as always, you are right, again. You do look a little oink, oink.

Result: She gets the memo. Probably breaks up with you. But gets back on the jogway. Sheds the poundage and in the end, you did her a huge favour. You saved her life, and that of her future spouse.

Or, you can be a real man

BF: No, it's the winter, the clothes are shrinking.

Result: She gets obese. Invites one million illnesses. You always work around her insecurities. Your life and peace of mind are gone. Your insurance and net worth are wrecked. She did you a huge disfavour.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 PM

16 posts, read 47,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If she in fact used those words, her telling him that she's put on weight and feels a bit self-conscious doesn't sound like fishing for compliments as much as a statement of fact. All the OP needs to do is tell her that he thinks she's beautiful, and if he wants to buy her something, ask her what she wants or take her shopping so that she can try on things. Maybe it's a good opportunity to suggest they take dance classes or something active that would make her feel more confident.
Thank you for the good idea. Your comment should be published. It feels right!

Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 PM

649 posts, read 1,133,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstudy View Post
My heart nearly broke when my woman told me not not to buy her clothes because she said, " I gained some weight and am self-conscious about it." How should a boyfriend reply? It has to be one of the most common, and worst situations to be in.
non verbal, hug her, stroke her hair, when tongue tied

Old 02-14-2012, 12:33 PM

649 posts, read 1,133,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Dude, you have a choice.

You can be an immature boy.

BF: I know you're always right. And as always, you are right, again. You do look a little oink, oink.

Result: She gets the memo. Probably breaks up with you. But gets back on the jogway. Sheds the poundage and in the end, you did her a huge favour. You saved her life, and that of her future spouse.

Or, you can be a real man

BF: No, it's the winter, the clothes are shrinking.

Result: She gets obese. Invites one million illnesses. You always work around her insecurities. Your life and peace of mind are gone. Your insurance and net worth are wrecked. She did you a huge disfavour.
a lot of women, or even men for the matter fluctuate up and down in weight

Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyChantal View Post
Quickly ask her what she would like instead of clothing.Don't get into her pity party. If you say, "Oh, you don't look like you gained weight," she may get started with how "you're just being nice to me; I'm fat!" This is just her trying to start a pity party and drag you into it.
Very good suggestion about suggesting to take her out to buy something else, I think. She may want a pity party when she makes a comment like the one I brought up; however, she normally doesn't complain about much, except work. I don't want to join the party. Thanks so much

Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstudy View Post
My heart nearly broke when my woman told me not not to buy her clothes because she said, " I gained some weight and am self-conscious about it." How should a boyfriend reply? It has to be one of the most common, and worst situations to be in.
I would say I love you the way you are at any size and if you ain't happy bout your weight and wanna do something about it, I'll be happy to assist in any way I can.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
non verbal, hug her, stroke her hair, when tongue tied
Awesome!! My style

Old 02-14-2012, 12:40 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
a lot of women, or even men for the matter fluctuate up and down in weight
Which is why we are presented with the duty and social responsibility to tell them to go on a diet for their own benefit.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyChantal View Post
Quickly ask her what she would like instead of clothing.Don't get into her pity party. If you say, "Oh, you don't look like you gained weight," she may get started with how "you're just being nice to me; I'm fat!" This is just her trying to start a pity party and drag you into it.
It's not a pity party, we just don't like to be lied to or told we're overreacting when it's obvious we have put on weight. While it's sweet that a man wants to make us feel better, it's very dismissive of our feelings. I have found that the best comment from my husband in this kind of situation is "You look great to me but if it's bothering you, we'll make an effort to eat healthier and be more active." That reassures me that he still finds me attractive but acknowledges that my feelings aren't irrational and offers moral support by suggesting we do something about it together. But then, I can only really speak for myself, all women are different. Maybe some women do want a pity party but not all of them do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships