Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,234,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I have seen pics here of people who claim they look younger than they really are, and I don't see it. Maybe I'm a poor judge of that though.
No, you're not! Some even come out of the woodwork to claim it every time the topic happens to come up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:11 PM

649 posts, read 1,133,918 times
when I shave I look significantly younger, my beard is gray now. I have some gray hairs above my ears. If I use a mascara stick on those I look even younger. So depending on what I do that day with grooming, I can look way younger.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:12 PM

649 posts, read 1,133,918 times

more dudes should learn about concealers and other tricks that girls have been using forever, there is nothing "gay" about it

Old 02-16-2012, 04:31 PM

526 posts, read 956,301 times
Not sure if any of these came up in the 7 last pages (too much to read and a little lazy today):

1. Dod you use sun block? Sun can be ver harmful to your skin, especially if you are on the lighter side.

2. Do you sleep enough? Beauty sleep is a must (7+ hours a night)

3. Do you exercise? If so, do you do weight training?

4. Do you have a daily facial routine? Cleanser, toner, am/pm cream. eye cream, hand cream, etc). That has helped me a lot with my skin which is very oily and pronte to acne.

5. How's your diet? I have this philosophy, if you eat a lot of garbage, sooner or later you will look like garbagge.

6. Are you happy? I find the effect of happiness to be amazing on one's looks and bodies. People who are unhappy tend to look older.

If you are doing everything right, I'd advise you to talk to a dermatologist to see what kind of treatments you could do. I wouldn't consider botox or anything like it at 29 years old, but that just me.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM

24 posts, read 54,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I've often noticed that many people will claim, "Well, I look 15 years younger than I really am." But they are invariably deluding themselves. Very, very few look anything except their actual age or perhaps a few years younger. Exceptions would be people who are multi-millionaires and in the public eye (who can afford millions in plastic surgery). Examples here would be Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. Neither looks 50. Christie Brinkley is in her late 50's and looks 45. But these three people were exceptionally handsome/beautiful when they were youthful.

Even an extremely fit, lithe and beautiful 50 year old will just look "great for 50" (which is fabulous!) but they will emphatically not look 35. I've never met anyone who is 40 who looks 25 or who is 50 and looks 35. They might think so, but no one else does.
I agree 100% with this. It is very rare to see someone who looks more than a few years younger than their age.

When most people think of an older looking person, they look for the obvious signs like wrinkles and gray hair. It is the more subtle things that give away your age, such as wrinkled hands, how taut the chin is, lack of glowing skin, dry hair, yellow teeth, and overall body shape (if the chest and butt are still perky).

Most people I know who claim they look younger than their age actually look their age to me. I never call them out on it. I think part of it is because when you ask someone to guess your age, they obviously will guess younger to not offend anyone.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,790,026 times
Back to the OP, dying your hair gray is not the answer. You really have to focus on self care.

I personally know many people who look more than ten years younger than their real age, I work with someone who I thought was in her 30s and just found out she's 50, I've worked with another ladie who I thought was early 40's and was shocked to find out she was 60! They both credited genetics and neither had plastic surgery.

OP I would recommend going to a dermatologist and see what they can recommend as well as adding meditation. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,020,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Didn't you already know that just about everyone online does?!
Tch! Hell no I don't!

I Don't stress much at all and I look like I'm older!

Hell I've looked older since I was in high school!

I've had women approach me in the past, coming on to me and asking how old I was, when I gave them my age they freaked out thinking I was at least 10-12 years older looking.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:11 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,310,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Is there anything I can do about it?

I know some people are lucky to look younger,but I'm unlucky in just about everything,esp looks. Lately I have been told I look 40. I'm 29.
People are always asking me What's wrong?
Or saying I look sick,or angry.

I have dark cirles and deep laugh lines,and makeup isn't helping eiither anymore.
Even dressing younger doesn't help.
What's worse,I never do things that can age me. I never did drugs,don't smoke,but I overeat from time to time,but who doesn't? The only thing I may have did wrong was work 2 full time and 1 part time job at the same time for 3 years.
What's a woman to do?
SLEEP, RELAX and DE-STRESS!!

Being exhausted makes you look older. Being exhausted makes your waking hours less productive and more stressful. Stress makes you sick, makes your body start breaking down which in turn makes you look and feel tired, sick and older.

Not only how many hours of sleep you get is important, but how well you are sleeping, i.e. make sure the room is not overheated and stuffy, make sure that the room's never dusty and always clean (especially if you have pets), etc.

Lastly, keep your skin hydrated. Dry skin tends to look unhealthy.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:08 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,192,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Back to the OP, dying your hair gray is not the answer. You really have to focus on self care.

I personally know many people who look more than ten years younger than their real age, I work with someone who I thought was in her 30s and just found out she's 50, I've worked with another ladie who I thought was early 40's and was shocked to find out she was 60! They both credited genetics and neither had plastic surgery.

OP I would recommend going to a dermatologist and see what they can recommend as well as adding meditation. Good luck!
I also know many people that look much younger than their actual age. One of my best friends, good looking man, is 51, but looks 40. His secret is staying active, playing sports constantly, & eating clean foods.

I agree w/ moonsavvy- check out what a dermatologist has to recommend as well, & try to start a meditation routine.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I've often noticed that many people will claim, "Well, I look 15 years younger than I really am." But they are invariably deluding themselves. Very, very few look anything except their actual age or perhaps a few years younger. Exceptions would be people who are multi-millionaires and in the public eye (who can afford millions in plastic surgery). Examples here would be Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt. Neither looks 50. Christie Brinkley is in her late 50's and looks 45. But these three people were exceptionally handsome/beautiful when they were youthful.

Even an extremely fit, lithe and beautiful 50 year old will just look "great for 50" (which is fabulous!) but they will emphatically not look 35. I've never met anyone who is 40 who looks 25 or who is 50 and looks 35. They might think so, but no one else does.
I think that really, the only people who truly do look younger than their age are those who have avoided sun damage, and then, they appear younger mostly when they are around a majority of others who have not preserved their skin from such damage. It's a comparison thing. They simply look younger by comparison, because they don't have the damaged skin that others around them have.

I'm of a generation that was teenaged/early twenties when the tanning bed craze really first hit, and tanning salons were cropping up everywhere (the video store in my hometown actually featured tanning beds, for crying out loud). I don't tan...in the sun or via UV rays in beds. When I was a teen and young adult, this put me very much in the minority in my cohort. While I'd never say that I look substantially younger than my peers, overall, my skin does, because it has been much better cared for. I don't have "the skin of a younger person," I just have "the skin of somebody who has never tanned." It does make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships