Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:30 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,476,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
She should find a shelter for battered women, file charges against this guy for domestic violence and if she need the money than sue him for causing her emotional distress. If she steals that money, he can file charges against her and it will only weaken her position legally. This is an emotional time but she has better options than what you're suggesting.
If it's a shared account, it's not stealing. The day I left I closed the shared account I had with my abuser--before she found out I was leaving. (I left the day "for work" but asked my boss for the day off and headed straight over to the bank.) I would recommend the same for the OP. You don't want your abuser to have control over your bank account when they find out you left them. I split the money down the middle, left her her half in cash, and took my half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,509,681 times
The hate I hear in this thread comes from the OP not her husband. Who knows what he would say. But we do hear a lot of hate in what she has to say. She hates him that much and she is still with him. Sounds like she just wants the hate, both ways.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,476,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The hate I hear in this thread comes from the OP not her husband. Who knows what he would say. But we do hear a lot of hate in what she has to say. She hates him that much and she is still with him. Sounds like she just wants the hate, both ways.
Don’t you think it’s understandable she hates him if he’s abusing her?

She might be staying because she either can’t leave or doesn’t believe she can leave. Abuse victims don’t stay cause they want to. They stay because they either have no choice, believe they don’t have a choice, don’t have enough self-esteem to realize they don’t deserve to be mistreated, or a combination thereof.

Please read up on abuse cycles and how they work before assuming the OP’s motivations.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Don’t you think it’s understandable she hates him if he’s abusing her?

She might be staying because she either can’t leave or doesn’t believe she can leave. Abuse victims don’t stay cause they want to. They stay because they either have no choice, believe they don’t have a choice, don’t have enough self-esteem to realize they don’t deserve to be mistreated, or a combination thereof.

Please read up on abuse cycles and how they work before assuming the OP’s motivations.
Well, sure, but I meet with people every day, all day, who have a story that is their truth but not necessarily the truth. So, sometimes it is just as much valuable information to listen carefully to how they tell the story not the story they tell.

An angry person full of extreme views, like our OP, is indeed an angry person with extreme views. Is her husband a worthless snake and an abuser? Maybe.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,828,649 times
Quote:
Well, sure, but I meet with people every day, all day, who have a story that is their truth but not necessarily the truth. So, sometimes it is just as much valuable information to listen carefully to how they tell the story not the story they tell.

An angry person full of extreme views, like our OP, is indeed an angry person with extreme views. Is her husband a worthless snake and an abuser? Maybe.
So we advise based on the information the OP has given. It would be the OP's fault if they didn't share "the truth." Why would we try to make the truth something that we don't even know about?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So we advise based on the information the OP has given. It would be the OP's fault if they didn't share "the truth." Why would we try to make the truth something that we don't even know about?

I didn't say it was or it wasn't. All we know for sure is that she is an angry person. That is all we know for sure because she authored the posts. Maybe her husband is a worthless snake and maybe he isn't.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,828,649 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was or it wasn't. All we know for sure is that she is an angry person. That is all we know for sure because she authored the posts. Maybe her husband is a worthless snake and maybe he isn't.
Then we go by what she tells us, as that is the criteria by which she wants to be advised, not by how you (genreal) judge to be the truth.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,066,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Oh, give it a rest. She can't steal from her husband if she's on the account. She'll be taking what she needs to leave, not getting revenge. Sorry to tell you this, but in a marriage, it's also her money. I know, that tees you off, but just deal with it.

And let's not forget he's no prince with the way he's treating her. It's no wonder wives have to go to that extent. I know, you just expect wives to tolerate that, but it's a different world now. Just accept it.
Typical. And it's no wonder why men fear commitment and don't want to get married out of fear of their wives draining them for everything they have.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:32 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Typical. And it's no wonder why men fear commitment and don't want to get married out of fear of their wives draining them for everything they have.
So, then you're also saying that it's typical for men to opt out of working for a living and just loafing it?

Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,754,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Oh stop with the histrionics will you.

The woman has an abusive husband and needs to get away. He's the breadwinner and she's studying. She's entitled to at least some money to help her get a new start.

You take an extenuating circumstance like the OPs and turn it into a "oh poor men get screwed for everything they have".

Well guess what buttercup, if the guy wasn't such an ass his wife wouldn't be trying to escape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships