Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men, would you date an "earthy" woman?
Sure, I think they are equally attractive as "non-earthy" women 29 50.00%
Only if it's real "toned down" - not all the attributes are present 9 15.52%
Not sure 5 8.62%
No thanks 15 25.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I was in trade school years ago. Not anymore. Am doing just well.
Still with mom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There was a non-chain coffeehouse near work where I would go every once in a while for a cup of coffee. (More expensive than Starbucks and not worth it, but closer by on foot).

It was staffed by women like that, and their male counterparts. It was interesting watching their behavior as they helped people in line at the counter. Better service was extended to their "own kind" and cavalier service was extended to "suits" (ALL "suits").

I used to joke that their motto ought to be "come for the coffee, stay for the herpes."

My co-workers would roll their eyes and LAUGH.
priceless,

I'll have to use that at a non-descript coffee shop either in Cambridge, or Berkeley. One of those shops that offer tofu custards, while having pseudo discussions on Adorno.

I know those places all too well, if you make a venn diagram you'll end up with an LL bean backpack in the middle.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Because pretty women can't be brilliant?
Since we're conjuring up "earthy" in different manners, I'm sure the researchers out there would have to conjure up a scalar way to measure it, if they wanted to study it. And, one day, when someone on the psych faculty at UC Santa Cruz needs to write about SOMETHING, they might pick this, because, God knows, their "backyard" is full of it. Who knows?

As to your reference above, they (psychologists and sociologists) have conducted many studies which reveal that intelligence and attractiveness are somewhat inversely correlated. Or maybe it's not necessarily the lack of intelligence, but rather the perceived need to apply oneself. I don't have bookmarks and links. I just hear this on the news, see it in journals while waiting at the dentist, or read it on internet homepages, and just file it away mentally. And, from college on, I saw that this, for the most part, held true.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Since we're conjuring up "earthy" in different manners, I'm sure the researchers out there would have to conjure up a scalar way to measure it if they wanted to study it.

As to your reference above, they (psychologists and sociologists) have conducted many studies which reveal that intelligence and attractiveness are somewhat inversely correlated. Or maybe it's not necessarily the lack of intelligence, but rather the perceived need to apply oneself. I don't have bookmarks and links. I just hear this on the news, see it in journals while waiting at the dentist, or read it on internet homepages, and just file it away mentally. And, from college on, I saw that this, for the most part, held true.
Actually - I saw a special on TV years ago that showed that attractive people were actually more intelligent on the whole.

In the end - what does it matter? Making assumptions about people or stereotyping people before actually getting to know them is a sure way to make an idiot of yourself.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
In the end - what does it matter? Making assumptions about people or stereotyping people before actually getting to know them is a sure way to make an idiot of yourself.
How well traveled are you? Go to Europe sometime and talk to the locals.
All of them stereotype every OTHER European country. They even stereotype regions within their OWN country. Let's see. I've heard:

- Germans are precise
- French are arrogant
- Italians are entertaining
- Spaniards are passionate
- Dutch are liberal
- Scandinavians are reserved and stoic
- Brits are eccentric
- Irish are jolly and feisty
- Greeks are mercantile (more bazaar like)

But no one objects to it. And no one is a namby-pamby snively "bleeding heart" about it. THEY ALL JUST LAUGH. (Maybe not now, with the current EU situation). And, guess what, their lives are not any less "enriched" for making those assumptions.

Well, you are more likely to have someone be arrogant to you in France than you will have them try to sell you some tourist gizmo in their shop. The opposite is true in Greece. And I said LIKELY.

You make it sound like you have all the time in the world to "get to know people." Most people don't, unless it's their next door neighbor or a co-worker. So we make judgments. I love my 90/10 rule on stereotyping.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Since we're conjuring up "earthy" in different manners, I'm sure the researchers out there would have to conjure up a scalar way to measure it, if they wanted to study it. And, one day, when someone on the psych faculty at UC Santa Cruz needs to write about SOMETHING, they might pick this, because, God knows, their "backyard" is full of it. Who knows?
Ok, someone might do that, but I'm not sure why you think intelligent people are more likely to be less attractive.

Quote:
As to your reference above,
My reference? What reference?

Quote:
they (psychologists and sociologists) have conducted many studies which reveal that intelligence and attractiveness are somewhat inversely correlated.
Really? Do you have a link to back that statement up? This guy ( evo-psych PdD @ the LES) is pretty controversial, but he makes some interesting arguments.

Quote:
Beautiful People Really ARE More Intelligent

Intelligence is just as strongly correlated with beauty as with education...
You can read the rest here. And the publications it's based on here if you have access and here for free.

Here's a snippet from the publication.

Quote:
Scientists have long suspected that intelligence and physical attractiveness may be positively correlated across individuals (Berscheid & Walster, 1974, p. 195; Vandenberg, 1972, p. 153). For example, Buss (1985, p. 49) speculates, “If females generally prefer intelligent males because they typically have higher incomes and status, and if most males prefer physically attractive females, then over time these two characteristics will tend to covary.” Consistent with such views, meta-analyses (Jackson, Hunter & Hodge, 1995; Langlois et al., 2000) showthat there is a small but significantly positive correlation between intelligence and physical attractiveness.
Quote:
Or maybe it's not necessarily the lack of intelligence, but rather the perceived need to apply oneself. I don't have bookmarks and links. I just hear this on the news, see it in journals while waiting at the dentist, or read it on internet homepages, and just file it away mentally..
I wouldn't put too much stock in the mags you see at your dentist office. Just think about it. Physical attractiveness tends to correlate with success (generally with a million outliers) and so does intelligence. It stands to reason those two variables with positively correlate with each other.

Quote:
And, from college on, I saw that this, for the most part, held true
Hmm, ok. I have little doubt you have known your fair share of attractive people that are perhaps a bit dull upstairs. But, I'm not sure how much contact you really have with highly intelligent people to determine if they're generally not attractive.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Actually - I saw a special on TV years ago that showed that attractive people were actually more intelligent on the whole.

You might like this site, Dew.

Stereotypes

Quote:
Stereotypes are generalizations, or assumptions, that people make about the characteristics of all members of a group, based on an image (often wrong) about what people in that group are like. For example, one study of stereotypes revealed that Americans are generally considered to be friendly, generous, and tolerant, but also arrogant, impatient, and domineering. Asians, on the other hand, were expected to be shrewd and alert, but reserved. Clearly, not all Americans are friendly and generous; and not all Asians are shrewd. If you assume you know what a person is like, and don't look at each person as an individual, you are likely to make errors in your estimates of a person's character.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have little doubt you have known your fair share of attractive people that are perhaps a bit dull upstairs. But, I'm not sure how much contact you really have with highly intelligent people to determine if they're generally not attractive.
I wouldn't go there if you don't know someone's background. I know quite a few highly intelligent people....top 10 law, top 10 MBA, medical school and dental school grads, but not many PhDs in the hard sciences. There are definitely attractive people in law and business schools because they usually have the gift of gab to boot and are very focused on external appearances (it's doubtful there are dweeby investment bankers), there are probably less of them in the health sciences (I'm guessing) and, from what I've seen, PhD students look like...well...PhD students. Again, I'm applying the "90/10 rule" here. The ball is in your court...

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-08-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 07:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
How well traveled are you? Go to Europe sometime and talk to the locals.
All of them stereotype every OTHER European country. They even stereotype regions within their OWN country. Let's see. I've heard:

- Germans are precise
- French are arrogant
- Italians are entertaining
- Spaniards are passionate
- Dutch are liberal
- Scandinavians are reserved and stoic
- Brits are eccentric
- Irish are jolly and feisty
- Greeks are mercantile (more bazaar like)

But no one objects to it. And no one is a namby-pamby snively "bleeding heart" about it. THEY ALL JUST LAUGH. (Maybe not now, with the current EU situation). And, guess what, their lives are not any less "enriched" for making those assumptions.

Well, you are more likely to have someone be arrogant to you in France than you will have them try to sell you some tourist gizmo in their shop. The opposite is true in Greece. And I said LIKELY.

You make it sound like you have all the time in the world to "get to know people." Most people don't, unless it's their next door neighbor or a co-worker. So we make judgments. I love my 90/10 rule on stereotyping.
Actually - I'm very well travelled. Apparently, you've only been to Europe.

I have found nice people in every country and in every state that I've been to. Yes - even in France. Actually - the majority of the people have always been nice to me. Even in China - where people will push you, spit in front of you, and pan handle by grabbing you - I still found plenty of nice, friendly people willing to bend over backwards to try to help me. See how that works? I DON'T stereotype - I'm super friendly to everyone - and most people are super friendly back to me. Everywhere. All around the country, all around the globe. If you check your preconceived notions at the door - people can surprise you!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
I wouldn't go there if you don't know someone's background. I know quite a few highly intelligent people....top 10 law, top 10 MBA, medical school and dental school grads, but not many PhDs in the hard sciences. There are definitely attractive people in law and business schools because they usually have the gift of gab to boot and are very focused on external appearances (it's doubtful there are dweeby investment bankers), there are probably less of them in the health sciences (I'm guessing) and, from what I've seen, PhD students look like...well...PhD students. Again, I'm doing the "90/10 rule" here. The ball is in your court...
It doesn't amaze me that things like that have to go low to make judgments and assumptions on human beings' personal lives, going to the extent to talk about their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships