Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,377 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile other women cannot get a man to commit to exclusivity, not to mention marriage?

What is it about certain women that make men so quick to "wife them down", meanwhile other women are plagued by players and commitment phobes.

I've wondered about this phenomenon off and on, and seeing this story today made me wonder (yeah I know it has some Jerry Springer ish, but still 5 times!!!)..

The unluckiest bride in Britain: Woman who had walked down aisle with FOUR HUSBANDS by the age of 24 takes a chance on her fifth | Mail Online

Is it their character, personality, looks?
Is it neediness? But then isn't neediness supposed to be a turn off to men?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Peacelilies; 03-12-2012 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
As you can see from this article, sometimes it's not any of the above... Then again, all participants look like their local version of our "white trash."

Quote:
But then isn't neediness supposed to be a turn off to men?
No, it's not! That's what they claim. Sort of like women claiming they want the "nice" guys when they really don't. I've been appalled overhearing the kinds of things many married men do for their wives or what kind of behavior of theirs they consider acceptable! I'd be ashamed!

I read an interesting opinion in some book - that men stay with the women they "invest" in, and that's not about money per se. They don't get that attached to those of us who can take care of ourselves. Hey, should we go our separate ways, we'll continue taking care of ourselves... no biggie... They can't leave "the poor soul" who "needs" them and can't breathe without them!

Don't think being proposed multiple times is a blessing, though. Often it's curse!

I know I'll get a lot of flack for most of this, but I'm used to it and don't care.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,533 times
I often wonder the same thing.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
I've been proposed to by three different men. I'm not quite sure how being proposed to would equate to me being needy... Hmmm... I don't think I'm needy.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I've been proposed to by three different men. I'm not quite sure how being proposed to would equate to me being needy... Hmmm... I don't think I'm needy.
I certainly didn't mean to say that every woman who's proposed to is needy. I just think a lot of men truly prefer needy/helpless damsels in distress.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Maybe she is a (full of empty promises) husband collector?
or maybe she is a good "politician" - she knows how to BS...

Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
Is it neediness? But then isn't neediness supposed to be a turn off to men?

What are your thoughts?
Why the assumption shes needy bc of multiple proposals?

Maybe she attracts needy men?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe she is a (full of empty promises) husband collector?
or maybe she is a good "politician" - she knows how to BS...
What's there to collect...? Rotten teeth? At least Zha Zha Gabor knew what she was doing! "I'm a great housekeeper. Every time I get a divorce, I keep the house."

Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 PM

307 posts, read 630,861 times
I hate to think of what 5 weddings would cost. It could well be neediness on the part of the guys as well as on her part. The article mentioned that her second husband was a last minute stand in for the real fiance that fled shortly before the wedding. I can't imagine any guy with self respect agreeing to that.

Quote:
Second time lucky: Her second husband, Daniel Innes, was a last-minute stand-in for a fiancé who jilted her just before her wedding - she married him when she was heavily pregnant

Read more: The unluckiest bride in Britain: Woman who had walked down aisle with FOUR HUSBANDS by the age of 24 takes a chance on her fifth | Mail Online]

Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I certainly didn't mean to say that every woman who's proposed to is needy. I just think a lot of men truly prefer needy/helpless damsels in distress.
I agree with you. I just didn't understand where she drew that conclusion in the OP.

I did a show with this girl that really played up the damsel in distress act. None of the girls could stand her and most of the guys saw no problem with her. Well - they saw no problem with her until her narcissism and self-centeredness became to much of an issue to ignore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships