Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 PM

773 posts, read 1,261,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I don't know what other voodoo spells she casts...

I think Sierra is spot on in her assessment, but then maybe I'm just grasping for some logical explanation.
I think that there are some guys who don't feel like "real men" unless they're rescuing someone, and this particular girl fits their bill. But like you said, these aren't typically the type of guy you'd be drawn to, and that's probably for a very good reason. You have different standards, and you probably have more respect for a man who wants a woman who can stand on her own two feet. I have -0- respect for men who allow themselves to be used like that. And I suspect that men feel the same way about girls who go after "loser" guys.

I've been proposed to several times, but this is not to say that I said "yes." In my case, the guys were the LifePlan (TM) types. You know, date six months, get married, buy a house in the 'burbs, have a couple of kids, don't really think about any of it too deeply. I don't think that they really wanted to marry me, per se — they just wanted to get married — and I can sniff that stuff out right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,153,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
I think that there are some guys who don't feel like "real men" unless they're rescuing someone, and this particular girl fits their bill. But like you said, these aren't typically the type of guy you'd be drawn to, and that's probably for a very good reason. You have different standards, and you probably have more respect for a man who wants a woman who can stand on her own two feet. I have -0- respect for men who allow themselves to be used like that. And I suspect that men feel the same way about girls who go after "loser" guys.
Yes, this is true. I am not jealous of her because I don't want what she has, especially not on those terms. Even though these are not bad guys & they generally treat her well, I wouldn't call their relationship healthy at all. And honestly, who knows if a marriage would really last for her anyway. 2 years is not THAT long to put up with all of her problems.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 PM

773 posts, read 1,261,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Yes, this is true. I am not jealous of her because I don't want what she has, especially not on those terms. Even though these are not bad guys & they generally treat her well, I wouldn't call their relationship healthy at all. And honestly, who knows if a marriage would really last for her anyway. 2 years is not THAT long to put up with all of her problems.
A relationship in which one partner is always saving the other isn't healthy, so you've got that exactly right. These relationships seem to smack of "daddy issues" to me for the most part, women who are looking to a man to provide what they can't go out and get for themselves. Men like that wouldn't find me too intriguing, I fear!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,948,345 times
I'll be content with one proposal from the right person.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 PM

9,018 posts, read 13,871,086 times
They just seem to find desperate men. Nothing to it. Desperate men for desperate women.
If a guy whom I was with for 2 weeks asked me to marry him I would say no.
But there are too many variables. Older men seem to want to marry faster than young guys. Wayyy faster.
All the guys my age that I dated never ever wanted to marry,or commit for that matter.

Also,the users wanted to marry faster than the men who had their own house,car,and a great job.
Same thing with unattractive guys wanting to marry quickly,while the attractive ladies man types seemed to drag their feet.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,206,025 times
Oh come on.......look at those people. I've seen every one of them at Wal-Mart,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
Meanwhile other women cannot get a man to commit to exclusivity, not to mention marriage?

What is it about certain women that make men so quick to "wife them down", meanwhile other women are plagued by players and commitment phobes.

I've wondered about this phenomenon off and on, and seeing this story today made me wonder (yeah I know it has some Jerry Springer ish, but still 5 times!!!)..

The unluckiest bride in Britain: Woman who had walked down aisle with FOUR HUSBANDS by the age of 24 takes a chance on her fifth | Mail Online

Is it their character, personality, looks?
Is it neediness? But then isn't neediness supposed to be a turn off to men?

What are your thoughts?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:36 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,866,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
What are your thoughts?
It is a combination of looks combined with the ability to convince men that she has it together. Women who marry repeatedly apparently cannot convince men for long.

The era of the helpless airhead ended when it became necessary for more than 95% of men to have a wife with a good income of her own.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,545,927 times
its a genderless game.
let me esplain u
3% of the people (the beautiful people) get chased by 97% of the population. the rest r ignored.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:39 AM

38 posts, read 94,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
They just seem to find desperate men. Nothing to it. Desperate men for desperate women.
If a guy whom I was with for 2 weeks asked me to marry him I would say no.
But there are too many variables. Older men seem to want to marry faster than young guys. Wayyy faster.
All the guys my age that I dated never ever wanted to marry,or commit for that matter.

Also,the users wanted to marry faster than the men who had their own house,car,and a great job.
Same thing with unattractive guys wanting to marry quickly,while the attractive ladies man types seemed to drag their feet.
Yep- a LOT of "loser" men will rush to charm and declare love for a girl QUICK, ESPECIALLY a younger one who has it all together herself. He will push to move in and marry her so he doesnt have to face his own **** alone. Especially as they get older (in their 50's and up) they REALLY want a younger girl to play "Nurse and a Purse" since they know what little social security they might get is eaten up by back child support and tax liens- so they look to quickly lock down a naive female in order to escape their problems and have someone to take care of them in their old age- especially since losers don't tend to have retirement savings or anything- they will "Love" the right lady that can put a roof over his head and food in his belly since he is too lazy to WORK for it like a real man should.

What I call a "loser"? Men who haven't gotten their life together for YEARS (not just a "bad spot")-meaning chronically unemployed for YEARS, horrible credit, no home of their own (typically living with an ex claiming "its just until i can afford to get my own place" or with a relative), loads of back child support, no car due to DWI or whatever their excuse was- and they NEVER bothered to even TRY to pay to fix their problems they just ignore them!)

Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,866,257 times
I didn't think that those in Council Housing got married.

Is it the economic uncertainty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships