Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times

Advertisements

Could be a couple things off the top of my head

1) She's telling you that she's in charge and that you have to eat whatever **** she dishes out and like it too

-or-

2) She's telling you that it's time to be an adult and deal with things as an adult

Could be anywhere between those two also. Only you know, in the context of your relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
See the term "man up" actually MEANS something in popular culture. Quoting urbandictionary

man up 289 up, 82 down
strap on a pair, grow some balls, stop being such a complete and utter wuss.
"I can't.. believe.. she dumped me.. again! This is awful. I've been crying so much."
"Jeeeez. Man up!"

Being a Nice Guy with capital letters. Yes dearing her. Saying sorry all the time to avoid conflict.

BIG attraction killers.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
It would help to know what the dispute was about.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereinity View Post
Me and my girl have been together for 3 years but when we argue she tells me to 'man up', i really hate that phrase but what I am I doing wrong?..
What she's doing is hitting below the belt, basically saying you're less than a man. I'd really seriously reconsider being in a relationship with someone who doesn't hesitate to talk to you like this.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times
and why do women always want the man to take charge, be in control of things?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:03 AM

400 posts, read 849,471 times
My experience has been when some one tells you to "be a man" they're trying to appeal to your sense of pride to manipulate you into something.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
If someone ever said that to me I'd drop her faster than a New York minute!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM

i seriously feel like beating someone up, punching their lights out for telling me to "Man Up, Be a Man, Grow a Pair, Grow Some Balls" i hate how life, society, culture, expect us guys to Toughen it up all the damn time, i would rather prove that I have balls, that I am a Man, that I have strength by instigating violence instead of taking responsibility, taking charge, initiative, control, going after what i want, making things happen, leading, etc.
Because this one guy on a Plentyoffish forum really pissed me off, angered because of the way he said it to me:
"No bro, it isn't. And I don't want to be a**** but seriously this is like the eleventh thread you've complained in.

F*cking grow a pair. Seriously, man up. You need to have a spine, NO ONE respects a door mat, and you'll NEVER get a relationship without respect. Realize that YOU are in control of your own destiny and women don't OWE you sh*t, not a relationship, a bj, love, respect, sympathy, NONE of it.

You gotta EARN it. EARN it by realising that you don't NEED to have a chick to validate your existance, realize that people try to help you all the time, but your LAZY ass ALWAYS blames society instead of taking initiative and making yourself more attractive the opposite sex. ADAPT! Don't cry about women not wanting you, find out what they want and use that to make yourself more attractive."

If you dig dogs? Volunteer at a shelter. Line dancing, learn a language, be a tutor for college kids, DAMN ANYTHING. Get involved in life, don't watch it from the back seat, maybe then a woman would want to be your co-pilot.

Oh, and Be a Man."

I wish I can make that guy squeal as I break his ****in' neck!!!!, if only I could do it without getting into legal trouble, arrested, etc., so thats why I won't do it. Seriously, i hate how it is okay for women to get validation from men but never okay for men to get validation from women, it's like there is never an excuse for a guy to be desperate for a girlfriend or relationship, but it is okay, acceptable for a girl.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:07 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
If you don't know what you're doing wrong, then I'd say you need to spend some time male-bonding with a group of males (not a group of gamers or gay guys though). That is where/how men learn how to be men.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
If you don't know what you're doing wrong, then I'd say you need to spend some time male-bonding with a group of males (not a group of gamers or gay guys though). That is where/how men learn how to be men.
thats what i hate, society, life, culture, has all of these rules, standards, expectations, as to how a man is supposed to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships