Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

You worry way too much about things you cannot control. You need to get realistic about life and expectations. We white guys get the short end of the stick many times but we also have so much going for us here in the US.

Are you educated ? Do you have a job ? And most importantly do you blame others for your problems ?

You should (seriously) talk to a counselor. As another guy, I can assure that this is no way to go through life.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
The United States is the number one consumer, and analysts say a staggering 85% of it is just one gender. You guessed it, Female. Walk into any mall and its clear to see that women dominate in consumption. On average 4/5 of a department stores inventory caters to women. Women now for the last ten years dominate in consumer electronics and automobile consumption.

If you separate the products and stores in which men and women have a dramatic appeal in interest you will see a shocking difference. One side is for the benefit of multiple people, often building helping and achieving a goal. The other side is for self-indulgence, vapid image, fancy luxuries.

Tools, home improvement, team sports, fishing, family vehicles, these are the things that men invest in. Women on the other hand consume that benefit only themselves. Lotions, make-up, clothes, jewelry, shoes, purses, and little dogs to dress up.

As time goes on, more and more American women are becoming vapid and selfish because of our consumer society. Are relationships of the future even possible with such a one sided gender?
I'll take a stab at this. I purchase food, clothing for my family (including my husband), household items, sometime furniture when it needs to be replaced...I'm not sure how that equates to making purchases that only benefit myself. Of course I buy clothing for myself and make-up, but that really doesn't unbalance anything I buy for him.

My husband spends a few thousand a year on hockey between his league, gear and tickets to pro games...is that for the "greater good"? I'm not sure who benefits other than himself.

He buys flat screen TV's and the cable to go along with it, he buys electronics, he's bought cars, he's purchased a boat...etc.

He spends a LOT more than I do, and his purchases do not benefit "everyone". I don't watch TV, I could care less if we have a boat, car stereos and portable hard drives and whatever other electronics he has bought don't benefit anyone but him.

Most of my friends live the same way. They make the family purchases while their husbands have the $10K country club membership that they never use.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 PM

252 posts, read 555,609 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

I know this may be tough for you to grasp, but this isn't just for ME. I care about what happens to others, and my country. Yes I could leave and make myself happy, but what about the place I grew up and the people I once called fellow citizens. There is something terribly wrong going on here and I am not going to turn my back on it so parasites can suck everything out of it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-19-2012 at 08:44 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 05:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
I know this may be tough for you to grasp, but this isn't just for ME. I care about what happens to others, and my country. Yes I could leave and make myself happy, but what about the place I grew up and the people I once called fellow citizens. There is something terribly wrong going on here and I am not going to turn my back on it so parasites can suck everything out of it.
PaOC Board...

Old 04-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Wahetver the case, even if 70% of American women were driven totally by materialism it would still be easy to find a girl who is not materialistic.. So why complain? It's not cool to focus on negative stuff like this, but maybe underthesun is having a bad day, so don't hate!
This. Find a non-materialistic American woman, OR find a non-American woman.

I swear I don't see the difficulty here (with his original statement, I mean...not the latter "let me make a huge sweeping societal commentary" piece).

Old 04-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
POC Board...
What is that?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
There is something terribly wrong going on here and I am not going to turn my back on it so parasites can suck everything out of it.
So what are your plans to change the world ?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
What is that?
Politics and Other Controversies. What you're asking here can in no way be answered on a relationships board, plus they're better over there about getting you real stats.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
This. Find a non-materialistic American woman, OR find a non-American woman.

I swear I don't see the difficulty here (with his original statement, I mean...not the latter "let me make a huge sweeping societal commentary" piece).
My question wasn't regarding me. I was asking whether relationships will be possible (for everyone) with a gender that is so one sided.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Politics and Other Controversies. What you're asking here can in no way be answered on a relationships board, plus they're better over there about getting you real stats.
I will definitely check that board out, however, my question was regarding relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships