Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times

Advertisements

It's like living on a sailboat. We know people who have done it. Without even being total pinchpennies, we know people who have done it on less than $1000 a month. In fact, we're contemplating doing it ourselves. November 1, 2021 is our projected castoff date. We'll see if that holds up.

But I totally get the impulse. We are really a society where every spare moment is sucked up with the demands of others, including bosses, customers, family, educators, government officials, etc. etc. To me, the desire to actually leap off the treadmill is a sign of sanity, not the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i tried that once. got a bungalow on a secluded beach on a remote island. was bored out of my mind after a week. didn't even last a month before i had to retreat back to bangkok. i need the big city. but even living in a big city in a foreign country can be an escape from the rat race. living on the beach woulda been a lot cheaper tho. its not as expensive as some seem to think. if i couldve handled it my budget would have been well below US$500/month.
It definitely takes a certain personality to do it. I have the right temperament for it - others would go crazy (and they often don't realize it until they've invested heavily). My hippy parents moved our family to a remote caribbean island when we were kids and I grew to love this lifestyle. Did you go to a remote island near Thailand? Similan Islands are on my escape list...

Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,647,543 times
My niece has been living at St Croix, Virgin Islands. She doesn't have $2k a month. She's been staying with her boyfriend & sometimes on a boat.

Right now she & her boyfriend are in Virginia, until all of the Hurricaine season & bad weather is over.

EarthCam - St. Croix Cam

Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
My niece has been living at St Croix, Virgin Islands. She doesn't have $2k a month. She's been staying with her boyfriend & sometimes on a boat.

Right now she & her boyfriend are in Virginia, until all of the Hurricaine season & bad weather is over.

EarthCam - St. Croix Cam
I've been to St. Croix. Nice place. Kind of touristy but real at the same time.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I've been to St. Croix. Nice place. Kind of touristy but real at the same time.
She loves it there. She has some health problems. She blossoms in a warm climate, but looks & feels like near dead, where it's cold.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
It definitely takes a certain personality to do it. I have the right temperament for it - others would go crazy (and they often don't realize it until they've invested heavily). My hippy parents moved our family to a remote caribbean island when we were kids and I grew to love this lifestyle. Did you go to a remote island near Thailand? Similan Islands are on my escape list...
ya, i tried it in koh samui (when it was less developed)

im kinda down on thailand nowadays honestly. kind of boycotting the place, spend much more time in cambodia/vietnam, and the philippines. if i was to do an island escape thing again in SE asia i'd prolly shoot for a place like el nido, palawan, where you can live well on under US$1000/month no problem. the place reminds me of krabi, halong bay. and guilin, except without the big tourist crowds (it's remote, and difficult to get to)

Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Someone famous once said no one regrets not working more on their deathbed. Maybe it was Ben Franklin?

You only get one life. If you have the guts and the confidence to chuck it all and hit the road, do it!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,050 times
Quote:
i tried that once. got a bungalow on a secluded beach on a remote island. was bored out of my mind after a week. didn't even last a month before i had to retreat back to bangkok. i need the big city. but even living in a big city in a foreign country can be an escape from the rat race. living on the beach woulda been a lot cheaper tho. its not as expensive as some seem to think. if i couldve handled it my budget would have been well below US$500/month.
Where where you? Koh Samui?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:52 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,586,050 times
Quote:

im kinda down on thailand nowadays honestly. kind of boycotting the place, spend much more time in cambodia/vietnam, and the philippines. the place reminds me of krabi, halong bay. and guilin, except without the big tourist crowds (it's remote, and difficult to get to)

Yea, I hear people are now going into Cambodia due to cheaper prices, easier visa regulations and fear that once King Bhumibol dies, the government will change in a way where Thailand will not be as accommodating/welcoming to expats.

Quote:
if i was to do an island escape thing again in SE asia i'd prolly shoot for a place like el nido, palawan, where you can live well on under US$1000/month no problem.
With all due respect, the problem with the Philippines is the food. Thailand by far has better cuisine.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times
Quote:

im kinda down on thailand nowadays honestly. kind of boycotting the place, spend much more time in cambodia/vietnam, and the philippines. if i was to do an island escape thing again in SE asia i'd prolly shoot for a place like el nido, palawan, where you can live well on under US$1000/month no problem. the place reminds me of krabi, halong bay. and guilin, except without the big tourist crowds (it's remote, and difficult to get to)

That's too bad... I have never been there but it looks beautiful (love your pics). I want to dive Hin Pousar and Hin Daeng - had a friend who did it. I know next to nothing about Thailand though - except that I love the food (at least the Thai-American version of things). Another area on "my list" is some of the hard-to-get to, small islands in the Grenadines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships