Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I would think the better solution would be to take a good look at the choices one is making, and try something different. Do some reflection and self-examination to figure out what you're doing wrong that's yielding unsatisfactory results. Throwing in the towel is the easy way out, and won't get you what you want in the end. It'll only get you a life of bitter loneliness.
Being alone doesn't automatically= bitter. I tried it didn't work out so I deal.

Dating is not like trying to have a job or career. No one has ever died from not having a SO. With that said it isn't worth it for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
well obviously they need to be basically presentable, but anything beyond that is just icing on the cake. Same with all aspects of a woman's appearance, really. Or a male's.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Most people are unhappy at the mere prospect of living the rest of their lives alone, let alone actually living it. Humans are wired to need love and affection. Studies show that single guys are rate highest on the unhappiness meter. Married men rate happiest. Single women rate next happiest. Just above single guys on the misery meter are married women.
There are exceptions. and just because people need something doesn't mean they can get it. Some people can not find love and affection no matter how hard they look. So they either have two options in my opinion, kill themselves or learn to cope.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
my how you have figured things out at such an early age, you already know how the rest of your entire life will go.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
There are exceptions. and just because people need something doesn't mean they can get it. Some people can not find love and affection no matter how hard they look. So they either have two options in my opinion, kill themselves or learn to cope.
Giving up at 29 is ridiculous. Or even 39. What makes sense is doing some introspection, or getting some advice/feedback from friends, or dare I suggest *gasp* counseling (which doesn't seem to be a very popular suggestion on this forum) to figure out where you're going wrong, what obstacles you're setting up for yourself, so you can improve your prospects.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
If you are gonna quit then quit, do it and be done with it. If you keep harping about it then it tells me you don't really believe in your decision to quit.

What do you mean 'if you're gonna quit, quit' -- that's already in progress. It wasn't as much 'believing in a decision' as it was looking at my reality and saying what I said before, if things aren't resulting there's really no reason to keep putting efforts into it.

I'm going to talk about my experiences (and lack there of) where these things are concerned, the fact that you don't want to hear about it, I'll make sure to fill that under 'so what.'

Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Giving up at 29 is ridiculous. Or even 39. What makes sense is doing some introspection, or getting some advice/feedback from friends, or dare I suggest *gasp* counseling (which doesn't seem to be a very popular suggestion on this forum) to figure out where you're going wrong, what obstacles you're setting up for yourself, so you can improve your prospects.
Why are you so obsessed with people not giving up? What's so bad about it? How does it effect your life? It's like I said before no one has ever died from not having a SO. I've never expected people to put in so much effort to please me, so why should I put in so much effort to please them? I've done it before and no one seemed to care. If others want to continue to date and be in relationships than I'm happy for them. But I'm not doing it and that's that. People are free to do as they like and if they want to give up they have the right to do so.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Why are you so obsessed with people not giving up? What's so bad about it? How does it effect your life? It's like I said before no one has ever died from not having a SO. I've never expected people to put in so much effort to please me, so why should I put in so much effort to please them? I've done it before and no one seemed to care. If others want to continue to date and be in relationships than I'm happy for them. But I'm not doing it and that's that. People are free to do as they like and if they want to give up they have the right to do so.

Ro I wondered this too but someone on here said it the other day it's b/c they beleive 'everyone has a chance.' Not saying this is her reasoning or anything.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:29 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
my how you have figured things out at such an early age, you already know how the rest of your entire life will go.
There are a handful of posters here who will chime in on almost every thread an regale us with their horrific tales of relationships gone wrong and their easy way out (quitting) cards.

You'll know who they are. They turn others threads into pity parties.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I've never expected people to put in so much effort to please me, so why should I put in so much effort to please them? I've done it before and no one seemed to care.
How very sad. It seems that your low expectations have defined your reality, and become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

To answer your other question, I'm an optimist, and like to think there's hope for everyone to find what they want. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships