Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a girl being funny be a large factor in you liking her?
Yes 38 79.17%
No 10 20.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 PM

44 posts, read 75,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I have to disagree with you. Actually, I find the whole 'girls not funny' thing a bit strange. I really do think it is cultural. Having been exposed to other cultures, the whole 'men are the jokers' thing isn't as universal as people believe. I don't fully buy the 'evolutionary explanation' either, although there might be a grain of truth in it. I'm talking about the idea that men being funny was an evolutionary advantage (I forgot the reason why).

Although you might be true in the sense that women tend to demonstrate their humour less in Western culture. I think part of the reason is that women are expected to be 'reactive', 'react' to humour, rather than be the initiator. That's why so few women seem actively funny. Being the supposedly more social gender, and since laughter and humour is such a big part of socialization, it just wouldn't make sense that women are a bunch of uptight dullard's in comparison. And I do think both genders find humour attractive in the mate. That doesn't mean male attraction is still not physical, but it can be a significant factor for some.
Fine. Disagree on a "worldly" level. But in Western culture, it's a proven science women are waaaaaaay 'down there' on the funny level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsnez View Post
Fine. Disagree on a "worldly" level. But in Western culture, it's a proven science women are waaaaaaay 'down there' on the funny level.
Yes, in mainstream culture, I agree. But I truly believe it has a lot to do with the type of people you hang out with.

Hang out with lesbians, artists, less conventional types.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsnez View Post
Women can appreciate funny, clever, intelligent humour too. Some men are pretty clueless about humour too.

If you can LAUGH at funny things, you're at least somewhat capable of making a decent joke from time to time. Unless you feel socially pressured not to be because that's the 'man's job.' I believe this might be happening in some cases.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
It isn't the "man's job" to be funny. Women do it all the time. It depends on persona.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It isn't the "man's job" to be funny. Women do it all the time. It depends on persona.
Exactly. But you have to wonder how the 'women just aren't funny' idea came from, don't you?

How much of it is REALLY natural/innate?

What I'm saying is I believe very little, if at all. I know many funny women. It often comes with an un-selfconscious attitude which some women seem to lack. Or a HUMOROUSLY self-conscious attitude. These women can joke, take digs at people without being cruel. They are much more fun to be around. I think men who truly believe that most women aren't funny at all are just hanging around the wrong women.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
Women generally aren't funny but I don't think that I'd find a plain looking girl sexy if she were funny, it's all about looks and presentation for attraction. I don't think it'd be fun to date someone entirely humorless tho because if you can't joke around then you'll get depressed. It's best for a guy to find a girl who thinks he's funny. If she thinks you're unfunny, it won't work out.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Exactly. But you have to wonder how the 'women just aren't funny' idea came from, don't you?

What I'm saying is I believe very little, if at all. I know many funny women. It often comes with an un-selfconscious attitude which some women seem to lack. Or a HUMOROUSLY self-conscious attitude. These women can joke, take digs at people without being cruel. They are much more fun to be around. I think men who truly believe that most women aren't funny at all are just hanging around the wrong women.
They probably hang out with snobby, or shy, stick in the mud women.
Although funny people need to be able to turn it off too. Who wants an immature baboon?

Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
They probably hang out with snobby, or shy, stick in the mud women.
Although funny people need to be able to turn it off too. Who wants an immature baboon?
Of course, not a total goof 24/7 who doesn't take anything you do seriously.

I just notice certain things though. The really funny women tend to be out there, say whatever comes into their mind types.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:

Actually - the only place I've heard that is on CD. The only place I've heard a lot of ridiculous things is on CD... Hm...

Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Actually - the only place I've heard that is on CD. The only place I've heard a lot of ridiculous things is on CD... Hm...
For me, the first time I had heard of the "women are less funny/good comedians than men" idea was from an article (then discussed and raised some controversy) Christopher Hitchens had written in Vanity Fair in 2007 called "why women aren't funny".

Prior to that article which brought it to my attention (online), I had no idea there was any association/stereotype of gender with humour in our culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships