Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a girl being funny be a large factor in you liking her?
Yes 38 79.17%
No 10 20.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not talking about someone who was physically very unappealing...but someone you might not otherwise notice too much, maybe average, a bit chubby, plain...who had a great sense of humour: i.e. could both joke AND appreciate GOOD jokes (not just laugh at your unfunny ones).
This kind of woman would be put into the FRIEND category and not a DATING or POTENTIAL S.O. category. There HAS to be a lot more than that for her to qualify for dating material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
A girl that is average can be very applealing if she can tickle my Funnybone
OOOOOooooh BEhaaVE!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsnez View Post
Ya. My girlfriend is the funniest girl I know. Girls (VERY high majority) in general just have a garbage sense of what's funny; they just don't "get" things like guys. Spare the refuting comments; not listening - it's a fact
I have to disagree with you. Actually, I find the whole 'girls not funny' thing a bit strange. I really do think it is cultural. Having been exposed to other cultures, the whole 'men are the jokers' thing isn't as universal as people believe. I don't fully buy the 'evolutionary explanation' either, although there might be a grain of truth in it. I'm talking about the idea that men being funny was an evolutionary advantage (I forgot the reason why).

Although you might be true in the sense that women tend to demonstrate their humour less in Western culture. I think part of the reason is that women are expected to be 'reactive', 'react' to humour, rather than be the initiator. That's why so few women seem actively funny. Being the supposedly more social gender, and since laughter and humour is such a big part of socialization, it just wouldn't make sense that women are a bunch of uptight dullard's in comparison. And I do think both genders find humour attractive in the mate. That doesn't mean male attraction is still not physical, but it can be a significant factor for some.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Basically we are similar in a sense to animals. Now hear me out..we both have to be attracted to the opposite sex in some shape or form. However we all have our own definitions of "perks"
smart-
funny-
likes outdoors-
likes movies-
likes politics-
is worldly-
race-
age-
same era-(grew up with similar things)

Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Basically we are similar in a sense to animals. Now hear me out..we both have to be attracted to the opposite sex in some shape or form. However we all have our own definitions of "perks"
smart-
funny-
likes outdoors-
likes movies-
likes politics-
is worldly-
race-
age-
same era-(grew up with similar things)
Animals pick mates based on movies and political views? something either got lost in translation, or you are snow white.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Animals pick mates based on movies and political views? something either got lost in translation, or you are snow white.
I meant if I'm attracted to some man, doesn't mean every woman is going to be attracted to him. But I see something I personally like. Many women have to be attracted to the guy in some way.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I meant if I'm attracted to some man, doesn't mean every woman is going to be attracted to him. But I see something I personally like. Many women have to be attracted to the guy in some way.
I don't really see how this is related to animals in the slightest way. Animals just kind of get an urge to breed and they act on it. The toughest male wins.

The animal kingdom is probably a lot like on line dating.

Bunch of males hang out.
Female shows interest in breeding.
Males swarm her with attention, and she is overwhelmed.
Males realize they must fight.
Biggest male wins.
Copulation happens.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
I don't really see how this is related to animals in the slightest way. Animals just kind of get an urge to breed and they act on it. The toughest male wins.

The animal kingdom is probably a lot like on line dating.

Bunch of males hang out.
Female shows interest in breeding.
Males swarm her with attention, and she is overwhelmed.
Males realize they must fight.
Biggest male wins.
Copulation happens.
Animal Behavior/Sexual Selection and Mate Choice by Females - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Women aren't programmed the same as men to be a rolling ball of never ending one-liners.
Men are programmed to spit out never ending one-liners?

Last time I checked, human beings aren't battery-operated talking dolls at birth, with canned lines fresh off the assembly line.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:47 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't fully buy the 'evolutionary explanation' either, although there might be a grain of truth in it. I'm talking about the idea that men being funny was an evolutionary advantage (I forgot the reason why).
What's "the evolutionary explanation"?

Evolution is real, and is a process in nature but you can't go around claiming anything you like evolved for any reason you claim. Using fancy words like "evolutionary" doesn't net you brownie points for your credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships