Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be honest, I dated a girl last year who didn't like music period. I love music so much and it's the part of me that keeps me sane and creative in my otherwise bored and mundane accounting job in the boring and mundane DC metro area. She said she hated music, she called my piano/guitar playing a waste of time. We drifted apart for other reasons (though we're still friends), but, as ridiculous as it sounds, I don't think I can date another girl who doesn't like music. It just seems so boring and vague: a life without music. I love a woman who loves art, be it visual, audible, or what have you. It just shows some soul, feeling and helps me gauge a lot about someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Who could date someone that hates what you love and makes you happy?

Go for common things.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 PM

349 posts, read 887,994 times
Default I agree

I listen to music all day - my brothers are musicians, a lot of friends are musicians, too, so I can't imagine a life without it

It means a lot to me, what the artist puts into it, how the song makes you feel, etc.

I doubt I could come to any relationship with someone who didn't love music too, but there is a problem not loving at least a few key types of music and/or artists.

Compromises can be made, I suppose, but reggae and country I can't do...some people *love* that, but to me, that means we (dating-wise) would have a tougher time relating; not speaking the same language or on even a close wavelenght.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
I would not date a woman with a child.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:54 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times
unhealthy looking skin

Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
I'm a 'musician' (I use the term loosely) and like most people love good music. Someone who HATES music is like someone who hates good food. I can't imagine it. She's either tone deaf or I don't know, lacks the musical appreciation gene? I wouldn't date someone like that either. There are plenty of fish in the sea, and plenty of guys who wouldn't mind if she ticked all their other boxes.

I also love travelling. Would not date a woman who did not at least have a curiosity about the world. Prefer to date somebody adventurous, who had a passion for travel. Wouldn't be essential but highly positive in my book.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
I listen to music all day - my brothers are musicians, a lot of friends are musicians, too, so I can't imagine a life without it

It means a lot to me, what the artist puts into it, how the song makes you feel, etc.

I doubt I could come to any relationship with someone who didn't love music too, but there is a problem not loving at least a few key types of music and/or artists.

Compromises can be made, I suppose, but reggae and country I can't do...some people *love* that, but to me, that means we (dating-wise) would have a tougher time relating; not speaking the same language or on even a close wavelenght.
I think musical preferences totally reflect your personality. I'm a free spirit, romantic nostalgic so I can't get enough of jazz, man. Someone who loved a lot of death metal and punk - while not necessarily an angry person - is somebody who probably gets pumped up on aggression. Someone who likes popular artists at the exclusion of more eclectic stuff is probably a bit more conventional. Speaking in generalities.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
Not a guy, but I have dismissed a date after finding out he liked country.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,454 times
I don't hate music. I do enjoy it when I have little to do, though, I do not appreciate it at the volume that some people insist on. However, when I'm tearing my hair out on a project, I find music to be more of a distraction than anything else.

Then, there are the cars... BAH-BOOM BAH-BOOM BAH-BOOM BAH-BOOM, and you can feel the ground shake from 3 blocks away. I'm getting hearing aids this month. Roughly $3,500 each. (Times 2) I'm sure glad I won't have to pay for theirs when they get older. I'm sure the price will be much higher when their turns come.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
I won't date a guy who has a motorcycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships