Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Hmm, I wonder if most people are "poor people marrying rich people," or if most people are really just average earners marrying other average earners. My SO and I don't have a large income discrepancy. I'm guessing we don't represent something rare and strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I made the question because I remembered this thread where I asked how would women feel if they were going out with a rich man and he talked about a prenup and separate bank account and lots of women felt insulted, disgusted, and thought a man like that was just terrible. But when it was the other way around, they were all about protecting their hard earned money and not marrying a loser (man that doesn’t make much, doesn’t have a car, lives with the parents, and so on and on).

P.S. For the coward who gave me reps with a nasty message. Why not have the ovaries to tell me here why you agree or disagree? If you can't, then just let it go and move on.

Hmmm, I don't recall that. I actually recall that most women who were against pre-nups, were against them across the board. I'll have to go find that thread.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hmm, I wonder if most people are "poor people marrying rich people," or if most people are really just average earners marrying other average earners. My SO and I don't have a large income discrepancy. I'm guessing we don't represent something rare and strange.
When we met and married the income discrepency was negligible. Now however, he is the only one with an income. If I do go back to work, the difference in income would be vast unless I go back to school and change my career.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:08 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,982 times
Separate bank accounts by far. Joint bank accounts shouldn't even be an option.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Separate bank accounts by far. Joint bank accounts shouldn't even be an option.
An option for all? To each their own.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
What are your thoughts on separate vs. joint accounts in marriage?

Me and my DH differ so much on how we manage money that it's causing a lot of strife. He has a lot of debt and recently surprised me with 5k in credit debt which I had to go into our savings to pay off. Also, he is not bringing in a lot of money, he makes less than 30k a year and is almost 30 years old and we live in one of the highest cost of living cities in the country. I was reading a Suze Orman article today in which she suggests, having both separate and joint accounts.
His...............Both.............Hers

I'm short $ ...Both.............Hers

His........$.<..Both.............Ok

His...$..<......Both.............Hers

Next week

His...$>........Both............Hers

And so it goes if she needs.

Both pump money in the "Both" account.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
What are your thoughts on separate vs. joint accounts in marriage?

Me and my DH differ so much on how we manage money that it's causing a lot of strife. He has a lot of debt and recently surprised me with 5k in credit debt which I had to go into our savings to pay off. Also, he is not bringing in a lot of money, he makes less than 30k a year and is almost 30 years old and we live in one of the highest cost of living cities in the country. I was reading a Suze Orman article today in which she suggests, having both separate and joint accounts.
5k credit card debt when he is only making less than 30k a year, that sounds like suicide.

If you don't want to turn this marriage into a murder-suicide, please DO get yourself a separate account.

Best of luck.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
We maintain seperate accounts which has worked fine for us. We do split bills, etc, and cover each other if something is needed. However, we do not try to manage each other's spending. For us, it is a mutually agreed to situation where we work together to pay for common needs, save for common goals, etc, while maintaining some income and spending autonomy to pursue our own interests and hobbies.

Our only real rules are that we both contribute to the operation of the household, to savings, and that we do not deficit spend (rack up credit card debts, etc). We talk and adjust when and where needed, and definately have long term goals spelled out with plans to save and afford them.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:40 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Separate.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
My wife and I have been sharing accounts since the days when we were just dating and living together in college. We never have any issue about money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships