Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 05:20 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
She's right guys. How many American women say yes to a "date" with no intentions whatsoever of following through with anything. No kisses, no nookie, no sleep overs, no cuddling....no nothing! Well, let me see here...you're gonna let me take you out and buy you dinner and (x) else is what it boils down to. I've never done that and don't plan on it. How many guys are you playing like this girls? You'll never get this one. I'll take you out once. I'll either call the next day or I won't. That's how I roll. No second guessing on whether I'm going to call. When the turbo diesel drives off...you'll know before I pull out.
You probably were short on coins or shake the machine next time and see if sex falls out then. Should work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
You probably were short on coins or Shake the machine next and see if sex falls out then. Should work.

ROFL!!! Doll Eyes is really on a roll today, and yesterday, too! The forum should pay you for some of these one-liners! LOL! ^_^

Old 07-11-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

On the other hand, when a hunny strolls by...all good intentions are out the window.

If I was a Catholic, I'd be in the confessional every.single.week.
What does that mean (line 1)? Do women ask men out and initiate the process? What if he doesn't accept? Or do you flirt with him as a way of getting him to ask you out?

Dating seems more formal in Australia. It's the getting to know people in groups that's more informal, and it seems like sex is more informal. But you're right, at least you're way, everyone is clear on what the intent is, and what's coming down the *ahem* pike.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:43 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What does that mean (line 1)? Do women ask men out and initiate the process? What if he doesn't accept? Or do you flirt with him as a way of getting him to ask you out?

Dating seems more formal in Australia. It's the getting to know people in groups that's more informal, and it seems like sex is more informal. But you're right, at least you're way, everyone is clear on what the intent is, and what's coming down the *ahem* pike.
Bingo! Personally I would never ask a guy out, but one can hint...eg...I'd love to see that movie/eat at that restaurant etc...but you're NEVER going to get a date with a guy who's just playing the field...unless it is extremely casual like, meet me for a drink.

Us women are the hunted, not the hunter (usually) and we have all sorts of wily tricks up our sleeve to make sure we get what (who) we want.

Dating is an acceptable hobby in America, over here it is something you only engage in when you've decided you're up for a relationship with that one person.

Booty calls are very, very common here, by mutual agreement and enjoyment. A lot of women don't even want a relationship, so prefer to keep things very casual and non-committal (eg, no dates).

Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
There have been a couple of instances in which I was asked on a date, only I didn't know it was a date. I thought it was friends hanging out, because I paid my own way. I later found out they were dates, one of the guys who'd asked me out several times (daytime activities, mostly, I always paid my own way) had thought we were in a courtship process. how strange.

I'm not so sure about the part where just because I accept a date, that's a green light to the guy that he can expect certain favors pretty soon. That's being pretty presumptuous with the female body. If the woman is that interested in him in the first place, why doesn't she ask the object of her interest out on the date?

So can we conclude that in Australia, women never are the ones to initiate the dating process?

P.S. I'm a strong advocate of the hanging-out-in-groups practice. It's a great way to meet new people, when they join the group, and it's a great way to get to know people well. It's fun, and it takes the pressure off of people who want to get to know each other within the group. It's sort of like pre-dating. By the time two people in the group decide they want to date, they already know each other really well. It's the only sane way to go, imo.
Correct. In Australia, the guy does the asking.

Now watch some fool come along with an anecdote about his cousins' best friends' sister who asked a guy out in Australia.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but generally, it does not.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Dating is an acceptable hobby in America, over here it is something you only engage in when you've decided you're up for a relationship with that one person.

Booty calls are very, very common here, by mutual agreement and enjoyment. A lot of women don't even want a relationship, so prefer to keep things very casual and non-committal (eg, no dates).
Dating isn't a hobby, it's a necessity for people who are anxious to pair off.

So, let me as you this: can Australian women trust Australian men to look after their needs during the booty call? American women can't assume American men will be thoughtful gentlemen in that regard. That's why they need to get to know the guy well enough that a bond is established, or the woman feels the guy will be trustworthy and not just use her for his own gratification and leave. Are STDs not a concern in Oz?

So, how does this hunny-chasing thing work? Someone walks by who catches your interest. What do you do, chase after him, and try to start a conversation while you're huffing and puffing? How many times do you strike out, as a rough percentage, per attempt? Are Aussie men really that easy? In the US, men are pretty picky. And what if the hunny you ran after is spoken for--either married or dating someone?

(Thanks for you patience and your answers, btw.)

Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Dating isn't a hobby, it's a necessity for people who are anxious to pair off.

This supports my theory that religion is involved. We are pretty much secular here, so the anxiety to pair off just doesn't exist...less pressure to do so.

So, let me as you this: can Australian women trust Australian men to look after their needs during the booty call?

We wouldn't have a booty call with someone who DOESNT cut the mustard...full stop.

American women can't assume American men will be thoughtful gentlemen in that regard. That's why they need to get to know the guy well enough that a bond is established, or the woman feels the guy will be trustworthy and not just use her for his own gratification and leave.

Well we all know how that works out.

So, how does this hunny-chasing thing work? Someone walks by who catches your interest. What do you do, chase after him, and try to start a conversation while you're huffing and puffing?

LOL. Eye contact. It's ALL in the eyes.

How many times do you strike out, as a rough percentage, per attempt?

If you're pretty, never...unless hes married/involved already...or gay.

Are Aussie men really that easy?

LOLOLOL....YES. They've all got "round heels". Mind you here, sex doesnt translate into "relationship". Most girls I know have a FWB.

In the US, men are pretty picky.

They seem to be. Most Aussie blokes are absolutely THRILLED by female attention and putty in our hands. They seem more genuinely interested in finding true love. I personally have two very eligible, handsome, sweet male friends who are just desperate to meet a nice girl. Aussie men are very sweet and courtly...they will give you their chair, make room for you in a queue, all that sort of thing.

And what if the hunny you ran after is spoken for--either married or dating someone?

For me personally, it means "no go". For other women I know, it means "added excitement".

(Thanks for you patience and your answers, btw.)
You're welcome.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:23 PM

Maybe I shouldn't have said "pair off". Dating is a necessity for those who are lonely and want company. More independent types don't bother much. Religion isn't involved except in highly religious communities.

If as you say, booty calls are frequent, how would a woman have any idea in advance whether the guy can "cut the mustard"? Are booty calls with friends only, not with strangers, or friends of friends?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-11-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 07:30 PM

141 posts, read 321,409 times
Haha, I'm going to have to disagree on this. Although I'm in my thirties, I have a lot of girlfriends in their twenties and thirties, and they are all single, because Australian men vary rarely ask women out. Maybe it's because asking a woman out is such a big deal, and it means the woman is automatically their girlfriend. I also don't see many groups of friends of mixed gender - women tend to hang around in packs, with their girlfriends, and the men also hang around with their mates. And at parties/clubs, the men are all in one side of the room, and the women are all on the other. It's pretty hopeless, really. I actually prefer the American style of dating, because at least the women there are more likely to be approached by men, even if it's just for a 'getting to know you' date. I think it would be a huge ego boost for the woman, instead of just being continually ignored!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfrapp View Post
Haha, I'm going to have to disagree on this. Although I'm in my thirties, I have a lot of girlfriends in their twenties and thirties, and they are all single, because Australian men vary rarely ask women out. Maybe it's because asking a woman out is such a big deal, and it means the woman is automatically their girlfriend. I also don't see many groups of friends of mixed gender - women tend to hang around in packs, with their girlfriends, and the men also hang around with their mates. And at parties/clubs, the men are all in one side of the room, and the women are all on the other. It's pretty hopeless, really. I actually prefer the American style of dating, because at least the women there are more likely to be approached by men, even if it's just for a 'getting to know you' date. I think it would be a huge ego boost for the woman, instead of just being continually ignored!
That "guys on one side of the room, women on the other" happens in the US a fair amount, too. It's bizarre. Why did the guys bother to attend the event if they're not going to talk to the women? I guess they feel the women don't measure up? Even if the women go over to the other side of the room to say hello, nothing happens. I think a lot of American men are awkward around women. And those that aren't tend to be the picky ones, only interested in "hot" women.

goldfrapp, do your girlfriends get booty calls? How is a booty call different from being asked out? Is getting a booty call considered a compliment? Are the women agreeable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships