Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Don't even go down this road. Those three things you mentioned aren't optional. Love is optional.
I already DID go down that road. /lol

Listen, if you don't want to love, then don't. You don't need to use anything as an excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 08:49 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,658,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm sorry... perhaps I misread.

To clarify... your friend is upset about his ex's lack of caring after he broke off a 8 year engagement?

Hard to believe eh/

Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,017,932 times
You sure do make a big deal out of something you claim to never want.

If you don't want it, don't do it. No protesting required.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:08 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post

He just gets cold feet, that's all. Wait until some totally irresistible mama crosses his path. He'll be so busy, we'll never hear from him again.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,017,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He just gets cold feet, that's all. Wait until some totally irresistible mama crosses his path. He'll be so busy, we'll never hear from him again.
These guys usually fall the hardest.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 PM

657 posts, read 717,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What my roommate is going through.

Basically, he was engaged to be married to a girl he had been with for 8 years. A few weeks ago he calls it off due to some distress he is having. The breakup was and still is ugly. His ex-fiancé is dating another guy. He is distraught because they were together for 8 years and not even two months later she is totally into someone else, which I don't blame the guy for how he is feeling. This week in particular he is real down about the situation. It is really affecting him. He has been barely able to leave his room. He nearly lost his internship on Capitol Hill ( which requires real hard work having magic horseshoes up your to get) due to this matter because the pain of the breakup is affecting him so much.

If this is potentially what happens when you put your heart into another person, I'm not sure I even want to go there with this love thing.
"its better to have love and lost then never love at all."

its over for men .........we lost.....woman are here to destroy the world

Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 PM

23 posts, read 43,829 times
The good news for your friend is that he will eventually get over her. The bad news is that it will be a long time and there is a possibility he might do things that are irrational. I remember my breakup from the longest relationship I ever had and it took me eight months to get over her. Man I tell you, I don't want to go through that again. I thought about her every single day, couldn't eat somedays, quit my job, and even almost got into so much trouble with the authorities when I attempted to stalk her one day, then one police car was passing by, sped off and he was chasing me. I was doing things out of the ordinary I tell you.

I don't know what these posters are talking about. Finding another girlfriend and doing other things does not work when dealing with a breakup for men...time is the only thing that will cure the sadness. What I did during this time though was try to figure out more about women. I was doing everything to try to win her back. Sending flowers, giving her money to pay the bills, gifts for her birthday....nothing. So first thing I found out is that women are notorious rebounders. After a relationship they will find a guy who has terrible features. Why, I learned that in general most women have low self esteem. This is why they always fall for the "bad boy types" Then I found out why doing all those nice things didn't help me win her back. Then I told myself that whatever you do don't fall for a girl unless you know she is the most loyal person in the world. Remember relationships are a gamble, and it is so much easier if you don't fall for a girl. Divorce rates are so high in this country and I think it's because most people make that terrible decision to marry young and often select the wrong person to marry. However it is more devastating for the man if the woman is the cause for the break up.

So I understand where you are coming from OP, women can make you a different person? I tell you I'm going to try my best to not fall into that trap where I was 2 years ago. Pretty much that whole year was on hold and I was not myself because I was thinking about her for 24 hrs. Not as much these days if any

Old 07-21-2012, 09:56 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJones2 View Post
Then I found out why doing all those nice things didn't help me win her back.
Love can't be bribed back into existence. That's why the flowers and money, etc. didn't work. Heartfelt talking and apologies (if appropriate) can work, but only if her love for you isn't completely dead. If a woman's decided it's over, though, no amt of flowers can change her mind.

Very touching post, well done. Most people go through this at some point in their life.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,943,228 times
This guy's a dummy being with a woman that long when he's that young. Real young kids don't know anything, when I was that young I knew I didnt know anything so i didnt try to stay in relationships too long or be engaged. Tell him to drink and deal with it and stop being a loser. Also he should try to get other girls because the best way to get over someone is to get under them. I was a Capitol Hill intern too at one point, there's loads of young college age cuties he could hook up with

Old 07-22-2012, 04:48 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post

Hey society makes a big deal outta love. Aint I allowed to make a big deal outta not wanting love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships