Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,310,356 times

Advertisements

Have done it more times then I can count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,927,778 times
[quote=LexWest;25296158]I invited a guy to prom. He already had a date. Then he/his date's plans changed and he decided he wanted to go with me after all. Somehow, going to prom became a group event and we brought my friend and her date. Then he decided to bring his cousin at the last minute. He spent most of the night bumping and grinding with his other girl friends.

To his credit, he was a popular guy. But I knew the guy and we were childhood acquaintances, and I figured if I waited for him to ask, it wouldn't happen. These days, I tend to think unless a man is shy, if you have to be the one to initiate, he's not really that interested. A guy will not wait for a girl to ask him out if he discovers another guy also likes her. He'll pursue who he thinks is worth it.

Yes I agree......but I will be an old bag if I wait for a guy to ask me out. That's why I do it.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 AM

27,381 posts, read 27,425,580 times
Well, not really, but back in the 70s when my first husband and I were dating, still only boyfriend/girlfriend, I mentioned that 'we should be married' as just kidding. Well he took it seriously and said 'why not?' and next thing we knew, we were married!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 AM

161 posts, read 395,504 times
Once in high school to a dance, but he was my friend and I wasn't romantically interested in him haha - that was understood. Aside from that no, I've never done that! but I am not opposed to the idea.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:51 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,216,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
i know that's the point. just saying women shouldn't bother if they aren't attractive, the guy isn't going to be any 'nicer' about it simply because they're being asked.

it's okay for men to approach women regardless of their looks but it's not okay for women to do the same.
^^ I agree with this. I have in the past asked out men and with mixed results. But... whereas a woman will at least go on one date with a man that she initially isn't attracted to, most men won't even go out once with a woman that they don't find initially attractive.

And I think that if a woman is looking for a bf rather than an fwb, it's best to let the men do the chasing.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,683,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I've approached men out of interest, but I leave it up to them to do the asking.

I like to be a little traditional in that sense. I'm pretty progressive otherwise.
This for me too and when I approached I let them know in clear terms that I liked them but that has never worked for me. The relationships I've had came when the guy approached me first.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,211,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin woman View Post
Well, not really, but back in the 70s when my first husband and I were dating, still only boyfriend/girlfriend, I mentioned that 'we should be married' as just kidding. Well he took it seriously and said 'why not?' and next thing we knew, we were married!
He saw a great woman and wasn't going to let the opportunity pass.

You look so much like a cashier at my local discount store and she's very sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
This for me too and when I approached I let them know in clear terms that I liked them but that has never worked for me. The relationships I've had came when the guy approached me first.
Well you didn't run into me to try that. Though there "might" be a wide enough age difference between us and that could pose a "problem".

Your lucky day will eventually come.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,730,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But... whereas a woman will at least go on one date with a man that she initially isn't attracted to, most men won't even go out once with a woman that they don't find initially attractive.

And I think that if a woman is looking for a bf rather than an fwb, it's best to let the men do the chasing.
Why is better to go out on one date with someone you're not attracted to? It's misleading bc you're likely to do the fade. Don't even give your number out to someone you're not attracted to.

And fwb can come from a guy that chased you bc you still have to choose to be the f*ck doll whether he chased you or you asked him out.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:10 PM

114 posts, read 214,593 times
Overall I would like for women to ask out men more.

Because it would help both genders understand each other more, at least I hope it would.

More women will realize how hard it can be for a lot of guys to approch women and ask them out. They will know about the frustration that lots of guys go through, trying to read women and get their attention to express intrest. And the pain that guys can go through after trying so hard to win someone over, and ultimatly failing

and

More men will understand how women feel when they have to turn a guy down that they just aren't interested in. How annoyed women get when a guy just doesn't get that she's not interested and would really like to be left alone. Also more guys will know how it is kind of painful to turn someone down who is kind but just isn't the kind of person you want to be with for whatever reason.

Also

More Women will be able to experience the joys of being more proactive in when they find right guy and taking initiative, instead of just waiting for the right guy to notice her and run the risk of be left to think of what could have been, because the guy just didn't notice her and she lost her chance.

And more guy can experience the joys of feeling wanted, which would be a self esteem booster.

Last edited by TheGreatGarfield; 07-25-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,457,857 times
Yes, I wouldnt do it again though. I will just let a man ask me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships