Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 06:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,643,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
As jet jockey said earlier: neither one of us have experienced a woman making a public mockery of a man she wasn't interested in after he asked her (unless he gets rude, which they usually do). Can't say the same for the reverse.
Yep, this. I've never had a female friend of mine publicly mock a guy who made a move unless he was extremely rude or lewd about it. I've asked out a couple of men and they've made it a point to make me feel bad about it because why would THEY even consider going out with a woman like ME? I think it's an ego thing... they want to make sure everyone knows that they got asked out by a woman (which doesn't happen super frequently) and that they turned her down because he's soooo much better than she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:29 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,510,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yep, this. I've never had a female friend of mine publicly mock a guy who made a move unless he was extremely rude or lewd about it. I've asked out a couple of men and they've made it a point to make me feel bad about it because why would THEY even consider going out with a woman like ME? I think it's an ego thing... they want to make sure everyone knows that they got asked out by a woman (which doesn't happen super frequently) and that they turned her down because he's soooo much better than she is.

You don't notice it from the female end because you don't date them. Both can be brutal, both can be polite about it.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,669,620 times
Many times, would do it again, if I was single. I like asking the guy, that way I'm picking who I'm attracted to, instead of someone who I'm not attracted to, asking me out. Do I fear rejection, sure, but we usually know who is in our realm of possibilities.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,510,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Do I fear rejection, sure, but we usually know who is in our realm of possibilities.

This.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 PM

181 posts, read 506,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
I sure had her fooled!

Well, I wasn't in that big a hurry to disabuse her . . .

I did, we did, and I still haven't suffered any noticeable back trouble from growing that spine . . .

I'm actually sitting catty-corner, darling. But let's not get technical. Even if my back is my best side . . .
You guys are too cute

Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,739,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
You don't notice it from the female end because you don't date them. Both can be brutal, both can be polite about it.

yea that's true. but I've never known a woman to do this and I don't care what anyone says men are the ones that primarily do this. they are the ones that are into humiliating people.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,739,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

and that is exactly what I'm talking about. ironic how they are all so called 'different' yet the same. they do that type of stuff at a much higher rate then women, period, it's an ego thing.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:51 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,887,402 times
As a guy, in general I see it as a good thing, with a few caveats for the girls considering it:

1) It will get you guys who like you but wouldn't have otherwise asked you out earlier (say because you look unapproachable and/or are really bad at flirting), but, you're still going to get rejected if he's not interested. If you are good at flirting that can get you the same effects as asking guys out without the sting of outright rejection; if you're not then doing the asking will give you better prospects at the cost of, yes, getting rejected sometimes.

2) Men's standards are lower for one night stands than dating. If you are one of those who explicitly doesn't like to do one-night-stands, then you should be asking a guy out on a date, not hitting on drunk guys on the dancefloor or at a bar, etc. Make it clear what you are looking for.

3) Ask by asking; DO NOT grab/grope first and without permission (either verbal or implied). Light touch is a good method of flirting; being all over someone who doesn't want it is a good way of ensuring a harsher rejection.

edit: for all the talk above about guys being allegedly harsher than girls about rejection, in some of the social circles I travel in (read: nerds) women asking out men is reasonably common, and the idea that men are as a pattern worse about these things doesn't really hold water in my experiences. Both genders can be very gentlemanly/ladylike about it or very rude; just depends on the person and the context, and there isn't really an observable pattern. Granted, this might not extend to the general population, but, at least in what I've seen neither gender is observably more polite about it on the whole than the other.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 07-27-2012 at 10:03 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 PM

415 posts, read 616,178 times
Yes. Many times. Has never, ever gone well. Will NOT ask a man out again.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:38 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,235,359 times
No girl has ever "asked me out".. So that leads me to believe that I'm either ugly or far beyond the average's girl league.. The latter rather than former..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships