Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
But this is the confusing part. He does actually love people, so why couldn't he ever love me or anyone he dates? I know he loves his aunt dearly, he talks so fondly of her. It's why I wondered if he was misdiagnosed or maybe not a severe case or something.

This is part of "building a character". It's part of the confusion.

Would a monster speak so fondly of a li'l ol' lady, reminisce warmly on the special moments from their shared time?

Of course not.

But just because he's saying it... does that mean it's REAL?

The sociopath with whom I'm unfortunately associated told me grand tales while creating her character's infrastructure for my benefit. Truly, she was misunderstood in so many ways BUT ultimately the woman of my dreams in all the right LITTLE ways.

She told me of all the little ways she was an outsider and emotionally ripped on by her parents, who she said played obvious favorite with her brother, going into great detail about her parents' cruel criticisms of her and their downplaying of her accomplishments. The result of this was that when I met her parents and a few things DID slip out here and there, the way had been paved for me. I even confronted her parents on her behalf -- never realizing they were actually trying to do me a favour and WARN me in small ways without actually coming out and speaking the truth openly.

This guy can SAY whatever the hell he wants; he's likely quite intelligent and on occasion actually believes his own tales WHILE he's telling them. Sociopaths are actually actors FOR THEMSELVES as much as for others; after all, no tale is so convincing as the one the teller actually believes him/herself!

That doesn't make ANY of it true.

Look back at Hitler himself: Tell the biggest lie you wish, tell it the same way, tell it often enough and be sure to include just enough truth to suggest the rest MIGHT be true -- and you will be believed.

This is the last I'll comment on this thread; you've been warned in every way imaginable, so I'll part with this:

You're a fool if you're seriously considering this.
You're a damned fool if you actually DO it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:55 PM

141 posts, read 284,877 times
Quote:
I don't think this guy means any harm. He told me about the abuse he had as a child and how doctors have labled him as a sociopath. He says he can't feel emotions, it's like a block. Even though he wants to. He seems harmless.
This is his waiver. If a dog's tag says he bites, and you continue to stick around, you cannot complain when he bites you. He has a waiver. Simple as that. Get it, and don't stick around. This dog bites.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post

This guy can SAY whatever the hell he wants; he's likely quite intelligent and on occasion actually believes his own tales WHILE he's telling them. Sociopaths are actually actors FOR THEMSELVES as much as for others; after all, no tale is so convincing as the one the teller actually believes him/herself!
This. This times 100.

My favorite ex had a thing for sociopaths (in fact, the reason my therapist said the relationship between us was doomed was because I was too obviously sane). He had children with two women who fit into that category. The first woman was a pathological liar - but she BELIEVED the crap she was spewing most of the time. I mean, when you backed her into a corner, she would sometimes fold, but mostly she made her lies her gospel. She was so good at it, she managed to get a job as a nurse at a local hospital and work there for a couple weeks before being discovered - in reality, she had a high school education.

Ya know though, with all the energy she put into her lies and avoiding work, bills, whatever, it just seems like she could have used her intelligence to build a real life. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not glad the child-abusing ***** is dead (a drug overdose at the age of 35).

Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Some people were calling me a troll and stuff

That was me, saying I'm "suspecting" you of being a troll.

Honestly, the question is so mind boggling (and in addition to the other threads), that it's hard for me comprehend that this could be a real question.

I'm not saying you are. And it's probably very good that you are coming here with the questions, because it's apparent that you need some type of support structure.

It seems like you keep trying to change every man into something he is not, and no good can come of that.

Now the question is - will you listen?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:33 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I read "The Sociopath Next Door" - suddenly I was surrounded by sociopaths. LOL. I've calmed down a little, but I see them far more places than I expected still. Sometimes I feel like that kid in The Sixth Sense....

"I see sociopaths!"
I read that too but all it did was confirm that the people who I thought were sociopaths really were. I know for sure of three now--my sis, a former coworker who still sees me in the halls and makes a horrid face, and an angelic looking 5 yo who pushes kids into rivers and glass windows. Scary. All three of these people are very different from each other but all fit the descriptions in the book to a T. And remember, she said possibly 1 in 25.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Ted Bundy was a Sociopath. Ted Bundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Might as well 'date' a sex robot. She probably won't 'off you' one day when she feels like she's tired of you.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Go look up and educate yourself on what really constitutes a sociopath.

There is more to it then simply having an"emotional block."

Old 08-15-2012, 07:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Go look up and educate yourself on what really constitutes a sociopath.

There is more to it then simply having an"emotional block."
I was thinking the same thing. Furthermore, there are gradations to all these "labels."

Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
My Kung Fu is strong. I accept this challenge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships