Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
oh wow. I never heard of that one on here. Maybe it was on the news; maybe they feel like they can't help those obese people because they are usually VERY non compliant. Yes, a private practice CAN refuse patients. The ones I work for accept the patients and put up with the non compliance. LOL.
Now I'm remembering more. One of the nurses or aids ended up getting injured while trying to help the patient move around or something. I'm gonna try and find the story.

Found it. I did hear it during my morning radio because it's MA based.

Doctor Turns Away Obese Patients - Weight Center - Everyday Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Just the other day I was visiting my dying mother in law in hospital...She is a smoker...so was the other patient in the room...who is in the very last stages of lung cancer...Both of these woman insisted we take them out for a smoke- It was so odd seeing the other lady who had no lungs to speak off..take off her oxygen and light up....Then she just sat there in her wheel chair ...with a stunned look - a combination of morphine and oxygen starvation....My daughter said..."she is turning blue" so we scrambled to get her oxygen going again....Smokers to the very bitter end...Her sister also had lung cancer but never smoked....

You do something for a life time and it becomes part of you...Of all the vises I had in my life...sex addiction (yes there is such a thing) - drugs....abuse of alcohol...of all these things- smoking tobacco has been the greatest curse...I am still healthy but it did damage my gums...They don't mention that the rising in mouth temperature increases bad bacteria that will ruin your mouth....But how were we to know...all we heard about was lung cancer...Now they are finding out that some are genetically predisposed to the disease and some are not- some can smoke to the grave and not get ill- other than getting long in the tooth...which is heart breaking.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Now I'm remembering more. One of the nurses or aids ended up getting injured while trying to help the patient move around or something. I'm gonna try and find the story.

Found it. I did hear it during my morning radio because it's MA based.

Doctor Turns Away Obese Patients - Weight Center - Everyday Health

Dr. Carter has a right to discharge the patients and all but I like to call a spade a spade and she is B.S. when she claims it's about the lightweight equipment and the injury to the nurse. It's about this:

"People make a choice about what they eat and don't eat," says Dr. Carter.

She needs to just say that and be done with it. Keep it real! LOL.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
ok listen...smoking is disgusting. it really is. i've always said i'd never date a smoker. guess what? my bf smokes. i hate it but i love him so whatever. people like to be big and bad on the internet in hypothetical situations but the truth is most people would compromise on just about any "deal-breaker" should they meet someone they really like.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
If I was single, I would not date a smoker. I have compromised on that before and I shouldn't have. It stinks and while I haven't been diagnosed with asthma yet, I'm sure it will happen someday. Even spending five minutes around a smoker leaves me gasping for breath.

It always annoyed me that we couldn't even walk from the car to the store without him having to light up.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
ok listen...smoking is disgusting. it really is. i've always said i'd never date a smoker. guess what? my bf smokes. i hate it but i love him so whatever. people like to be big and bad on the internet in hypothetical situations but the truth is most people would compromise on just about any "deal-breaker" should they meet someone they really like.
ignoring or accepting something you do not believe in isn't a compromise. its being hypocritical yourself.
i would say you have it backwards and you never really had much of an issue with smoking to begin with if it was that easy for you to accept it into your life.

just in general outside of the whole smoker/non smoker debate that thinking makes absolutely no sense.

i love my dog but im not going to let him eat his own feces.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:17 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I think that's the case for a while, but for the long haul? I read some time ago that marriages who have one smoker and one non-smoker have an increased risk for divorce, so sustainability could pose an issue.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:28 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

I know, tell me about it right? Just discussing the subject gives me the urge to light up.

I'm already there.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:36 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
oh wow. I never heard of that one on here. Maybe it was on the news; maybe they feel like they can't help those obese people because they are usually VERY non compliant? Yes, a private practice CAN refuse patients, many people think that they can't. It's the hospital's ER that cannot refuse service. The ones I work for accept the patients and put up with the non compliance. LOL.
Well why wouldn't they? They all get paid the same outrageous costs by the insurance companies whether the patient complies or not.....Infact, if the patient is non compliant and continues to smoke, that will lead to even more money from increased visits to the office due to the non compliance. So in a way, a non compliant patient is a better investment. Hmmmmmm......?

{ I know, I just blew your mind }

Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So much hatred and disgust for the smoking people out there, and especially when it comes to the dating game........

First, I wanted to say that I don't find smokers unattractive, then again I am a smoker myself. It's just a total misconception that smokers are the absolute rejects in the dating world. I see people who smoke with other people who dont smoke all the time. No, not just your white trash gutter rats, but normal attractive people. As a male, I actually find a woman who smokes to be pretty sexy. Now, I'm not trying to encourage or advocate for anyone to start smoking, but when I'm at the bar at 2am and see a nice looking girl with a Bud in one hand and a cigarette in the other? Yeah, I find that to be kinda sexy. Go ahead and judge me for it, I don't care.

Second, just so this thread has a talking point, have you had any trouble in the dating world solely because you smoke? What was their exact reaction when they found out you smoked? How about rejecting solely because they smoke? Have you ever done that? Why?
AbsoLUTELY. It smells bad. It tastes bad. Your clothes smell. Your skin smells. Physical activities? Fuhgettaboutit. Nothing worse than a former smoker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships