Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times

Advertisements

It's not the smoking per se. Sometimes people want to indulge, so whatever. It's the smell that never goes away. Stale smoke is every where. Always on the hands, breath, clothes. It gets on people who don't smoke. Besides the health risks that's the worst of it. Maybe electronic cigs will get more popular in the future. And without the addiction even better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:18 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,878,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yeah - and she ended up dead. What's your point?
There have been great singers who smoked. Patsy Cline?

Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,907,734 times
Quote:
I can't be around cigarette smoke at all with out it making my eyes hurt and water. I'm also a singer so breathing in smoke is definitely bad, bad, bad. I just couldn't date a smoker. I have a couple friends that smoke a bit - and I try not to be anywhere near them when they do. Bottom line - it's just not healthy and it's just not something I want to be around.

If you are a smoker and you are happy with it - that's fine. But honestly - maybe I'm just a "hater" - why would anyone want to keep smoking? My grandmother died from complications due to smoking, my great aunt died from lung cancer, and my aunt is doing okay after having lung cancer a few years ago. I just don't understand why people do something that is so bad for them. I care about my friends and family - and want them to be as healthy as possible. Sorry - I guess I'm just a hater who's going to hate.
Naw.... you sound pretty reasonable about it. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference is all. I don't actively look for smoking women, but if I find one, it isn't a game changer at all. And, the day I smoke that proverbial "last cigarette" my outlook will remian the same assuming I'm still single.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,392,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I've never purchased a cigarette in my life.
You cheapskate.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:20 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,968,181 times
To me smoking is an automatic deal breaker. I find it disgusting and won't even approach someone who smokes.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
There have been great singers who smoked. Patsy Cline?
Okay - I wasn't going to get specific but I guess it needs to be done. Smoking lowers your voice. If you are an alto or a belter - like Amy Winehouse and Patsy Cline - the damage isn't going to be as noticeable as it is if you are a high soprano - like Renee Fleming or me. Smoking also makes your voice raspier the longer you do it. If you sing country or soul or the blues or anything like that - it probably only adds to your "style." If you sing opera or musical theatre and you have a really clear voice - it's going to make it a lot worse. I sing high and clear. I don't want my voice to be lowered or sound raspier.

Magic Johnson is living with HIV - does that make it healthy?

Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,224,921 times
I hate you for saying "Haters gonna hate" more than I hate you for smoking.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Naw.... you sound pretty reasonable about it. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference is all. I don't actively look for smoking women, but if I find one, it isn't a game changer at all. And, the day I smoke that proverbial "last cigarette" my outlook will remian the same assuming I'm still single.
Thanks. My dad had asthma when he was a kid and the Dr. told his mother that she needed to stop smoking. She refused. My dad HATED smokers and was very vocal about it. He was also almost completely deaf - so when he complained about smokers (often in their presence) - he did it very loudly even though he thought he was being quiet! It was so embarrassing when I was young! I try to be more reasonable about it - but it would still have been a deal breaker for me.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,102,565 times
I wonder if some blues singers smoke on purpose for that raspy sound, lol.

I would strongly, strongly prefer not to date a smoker. If it's more than even half a pack a day, that's a dealbreaker. I've had some friends who smoke and it just seems they're smoking half the time or trying to bum a smoke. So annoying. Even if they know what they put into cigs they still continue doing it. I know it's an addiction, but the 'oh poor me everybody hates me' attitude from some smokers doesn't get sympathy from me. Kinda like those obese women who want to 'celebrate' how big they are, calling it 'big and beautiful' when it's just grotesquely obese and unhealthy.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,878,333 times
Quote:
Okay - I wasn't going to get specific but I guess it needs to be done. Smoking lowers your voice. If you are an alto or a belter - like Amy Winehouse and Patsy Cline - the damage isn't going to be as noticeable as it is if you are a high soprano - like Renee Fleming or me. Smoking also makes your voice raspier the longer you do it. If you sing country or soul or the blues or anything like that - it probably only adds to your "style." If you sing opera or musical theatre and you have a really clear voice - it's going to make it a lot worse. I sing high and clear. I don't want my voice to be lowered or sound raspier.

Magic Johnson is living with HIV - does that make it healthy?
I'm partial to Alison Krauss when I wanna hear a soprano. But that's just me. Opera just isn't my thing, except for Le Nozzi Di Figaro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships