Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,643,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm a 'pack a month' smoker... I'll have a few if I'm out drinking on the weekend but I can do without if I forget to buy them or if I just don't feel like smoking. During the week I don't smoke at all and when I do have a few on the weekend I come home and immediately take a shower and soak my clothes overnight before washing them because if I'm not drinking I simply don't like the smell.

If you smoke a pack a day or can't go a day or so without smoking it might be a dealbreaker. Nobody in my family smokes so at events it's a no-smoke atmosphere and if you HAVE to have a cigarette every half hour it's probably not gonna work.
Oh man, if I could smoke a just pack a month, Id still smoke. I was smoking two and a half packs a day, but quit 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 01:46 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,363 times
I don't have anything against smokers, but due to allergies and asthma, I can't be around smoke for very long. I dated a smoker for a few months in the summer and we were ok with open windows for ventilation, but once it started getting cold and we had to keep the windows closed, we realized we had to end it. He didn't want to quit and I had trouble breathing with indoor smoke.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
There is a lot more awareness now about harmful affects of smoking, maybe because of the internet & high healthcare costs. Its seen as a high maintenance habit for a lot of people. The hatred comes from thinking how could smokers be so irresponsible to play with their life dangerously. The facts are out there & nobody can ignore it or justify that smoking is good for you in any way. People dont understand its a very addictive habit & difficult to give up. Maybe someone who sees other great qualities in you will ignore this one habit.
I actually question how someone could feel hatred but I guess this is one answer anyway. My problem with this is: there are LOADS of things people who are irresponsible and dangerous. Like the OP stated, he does NOT inflict his habit on anyone, so it amazes me how many people feel inflicted upon. Now for those is "delicate situations" and/or have asthma or whatever the case, I do understand that smoke is downright uncomfortable. Compromises have and can be made.

What I find objectionable is that the people who get so darn righteous about MY LIFE. I don't like when people text and drive. They are inflicting their bad driving habits on me...if you drive even one day around Dallas, you WILL be taking your life in your own hands because this city is UNSAFE.

I find lots of people to be irresponsible...and I don't like it...but I wouldn't go around saying that I hate them (only in traffic but that goes away when I get home ). I think what is so objectionable to me is that if you must tell me that you hate smokers, then just tell me once. I don't need to hear every single time. If you are not the highest standard of how one should live, I really do not want to hear your self righteous comments (and please, I'm saying this in the general "you").

My parents and my siblings are vocal, rude, insulting and ever so consistant with their hate filled comments. This is why I don't hang around them...hardly at all anymore because of their hate. I have NEVER (true statement, I promise) smoked around them. NEVER, NOT ONCE. My husband also smokes and he still takes a lot of heat for not smoking around them. And still, it is their only topic to address and it comes up without fail. If I was as dogged as they were about all the unhealthy decisions they make, they wouldn't want to be around me...oh wait...

Old 09-17-2012, 03:20 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,099 times
I actually find former smokers to be the most hateful against smokers.

I'm pretty neutral towards them. As long as they don't come smoking in my house or in my car I'm ok with them.

My mom on the other hand cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke and has no problem making her opinion known to everyone. Never mind that I was forced to smell her cigarette smoke in-utero and all throughout my childhood.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:22 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I actually question how someone could feel hatred but I guess this is one answer anyway. My problem with this is: there are LOADS of things people who are irresponsible and dangerous. Like the OP stated, he does NOT inflict his habit on anyone, so it amazes me how many people feel inflicted upon. Now for those is "delicate situations" and/or have asthma or whatever the case, I do understand that smoke is downright uncomfortable. Compromises have and can be made.

What I find objectionable is that the people who get so darn righteous about MY LIFE.
I don't like when people text and drive. They are inflicting their bad driving habits on me...if you drive even one day around Dallas, you WILL be taking your life in your own hands because this city is UNSAFE.

I find lots of people to be irresponsible...and I don't like it...but I wouldn't go around saying that I hate them (only in traffic but that goes away when I get home ). I think what is so objectionable to me is that if you must tell me that you hate smokers, then just tell me once. I don't need to hear every single time. If you are not the highest standard of how one should live, I really do not want to hear your self righteous comments (and please, I'm saying this in the general "you").

My parents and my siblings are vocal, rude, insulting and ever so consistant with their hate filled comments. This is why I don't hang around them...hardly at all anymore because of their hate. I have NEVER (true statement, I promise) smoked around them. NEVER, NOT ONCE. My husband also smokes and he still takes a lot of heat for not smoking around them. And still, it is their only topic to address and it comes up without fail. If I was as dogged as they were about all the unhealthy decisions they make, they wouldn't want to be around me...oh wait...

Yea, regarding the bolded.
You smokers fail to understand this one issue every single time. You just competely ignore it. Like it's "eh, too bad health care costs are a major problem in this country, I am going to smoke and cost the health care system triple compared to my non-smoking counterpart. "

My taxes that I pay for your increased health care costs due to your smoking does indeed make it 'MY LIFE' also.
Who do you think pays for your healthcare, just you ?
We all pay for smoking, even if some of us don't smoke.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I totally understand the addiction and how uncomfortable it is not to have a smoke when needed, but it does negatively affect people. I know smokers don't want that (who would), but it's possible many don't understand the degree of it. What do you think about those electronic cigs when not at home or in the car?
I got one and tried it and it made me so sick to my stomach. That was the "Lite" version. I was told I got the wrong one...but what is there lighter than Lite? I haven't tried one again.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:54 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,338 times
Sorry... smoking rules you out of my life and the reason for that is many. I do not like the way it makes you smell when you walk through the door. You can tell when a person smokes because that smell is there before they even get there. Not to mention how it makes your mouth/breath smell. Have you ever tried to kiss someone who smokes? I have and let me tell you when they say it tastes like an ashtray.. it does.

I also do not like the fact that most smokers simply throw their butts on the ground for other to pick up. It shows me a lack of respect that they have for other people because they do that. Someone has to pick it up.. so why make that happen? Put it in your pocket and throw it away. Also when they finish a pack of cigarettes, most of the time you find the package on the ground or when they open up a fresh one they throw the seal on the ground after they open it.

There are more things then that and a lot of it has to do with the cleanliness of how they are.. are all smokers like that? No, some have the common sense to cover the smells up with gums and other spray devices to make themselves better. But hey when you do not smoke you can tell a smoker from a long way away.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Yea, regarding the bolded.
You smokers fail to understand this one issue every single time. You just competely ignore it. Like it's "eh, too bad health care costs are a major problem in this country, I am going to smoke and cost the health care system triple compared to my non-smoking counterpart. "

My taxes that I pay for your increased health care costs due to your smoking does indeed make it 'MY LIFE' also.
Who do you think pays for your healthcare, just you ?
We all pay for smoking, even if some of us don't smoke.
Crap argument. Who do you think pays extra insurance for all the accidents in town? Just you? Who pays for my doctor bills? You? If you think you are the only one paying here, you're wrong and to assume that smokers are the ONLY problem with healthcare, then you're wrong again. I pay out the wazoo on taxes for cigs...I really don't think that's coming out of your pocket. Feel free to say that the reason all insurance is going up is strictly for us smokers...it's attitudes like this that make me want to smoke MORE. Yep, that's how irritating it is.

Yes, healthcare is a problem in this country but people like you seem to want to only blame the smoker. It's a self righteous attitude that I really don't care to be around. I don't ignore the issue, btw, but until you can hold yourself up to be the most moral, the most healthy and the most best anything, then really, you have no reason to issue that hate toward me.

I think that is what the OP is addressing: no one is saying that it's the best habit (far from it), but the attitude that non-smokers have is almost pathological. Oh sure, I bet you can spin a real story about all your issues, but when it gets right down to it, you're looking for someone to blame for ALL the problems. Smokers are just tired of being the ones targeted for all YOUR woes.

Cry me a river...

Old 09-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Sorry... smoking rules you out of my life and the reason for that is many. I do not like the way it makes you smell when you walk through the door. You can tell when a person smokes because that smell is there before they even get there. Not to mention how it makes your mouth/breath smell. Have you ever tried to kiss someone who smokes? I have and let me tell you when they say it tastes like an ashtray.. it does.

I also do not like the fact that most smokers simply throw their butts on the ground for other to pick up. It shows me a lack of respect that they have for other people because they do that. Someone has to pick it up.. so why make that happen? Put it in your pocket and throw it away. Also when they finish a pack of cigarettes, most of the time you find the package on the ground or when they open up a fresh one they throw the seal on the ground after they open it.

There are more things then that and a lot of it has to do with the cleanliness of how they are.. are all smokers like that? No, some have the common sense to cover the smells up with gums and other spray devices to make themselves better. But hey when you do not smoke you can tell a smoker from a long way away.
Do you have this much hatred for body odor? Strong perfume? Gas? We sure do have a lot of hot house flowers around here...so delicate...only Braunwyn can say she's delicate!

Old 09-17-2012, 04:17 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,856 times
Former smoker here, felt similar to the OP, didn't care to quit, but in my case I thought it best I did quit. I do not dislike smokers, I do dislike most everything about cigarettes though, so a deal breaker for me, I prefer not to be in the company of those that smoke. The smell, I have allergies, the smell, the smell is gawd awful depending upon the person. The smell permeates most everything including clothing one wears, also, if I were to be with a smoker, I'm afraid I would start smoking again. Yes, it's that darn enticing for some of us even though, I'm not even remotely tempted, except when I spend long moments reminiscing about those awful things. My great fear is that I'd be weak being in the, constant, company of someone that does indulge in lighting up.

Do I still dream about those little buggers ever so often, rarely, I developed a new addiction; crack ers. I've eaten them by the box and not proud of that a habit that replaced the cigarettes. Have to pick my poison, stogies or a fat arse. a no win situation. sigh.

What am I taking away from this thread? Don't open threads dealing with smoking, or you'll start having cigarette fantasies. Naw, just gonna have another cracker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships