Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Jet: fact: 2% of the population has an IQ of 130 and up, according to stats developed by MENSA. 2%. (We know you're at least 130, if not higher, being an engineer.) Of that, 1/2 roughly, are your same gender. So 1% are male. Of that, at least 1/2 are way out of your age range, either too young, or too old, however you define that, even allowing for a lot of leeway. So you're down to 0.5 %, approx. Of that, a bunch have major baggage. Reduce %-age accordingly. You get the drift. Still, that leaves around a couple thousand people in the US, not counting globally.
I have an IQ well over that (assuming I didn't hit my head one too many times while growing up) and prefer similar girls and while it does make meeting people somewhat harder I don't think wanting smart people poses quite as much of a hurdle as you think it does once you get over the basic not-stupid level that is a more universal preference. The most intelligent people tend to live in certain places, have certain interests, socialize in certain venues, and have their own social networks. You end up meeting people like yourself way out of proportion to what you should statistically. Granted, if you are that intelligent but not at all nerdy you might run into problems, but the people I know who fit that description (both the guys and the girls) preferred focusing a tremendous amount of effort on their physical appearance and careers and proceeding to date arm candy over seeking similar significant others anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Really only 2%? Wow.....
That's what you get for being able to use logic. I don't flaunt my smarts though I do try to make everything seem more intellectual!

At a time when everyone was playing tag, I was reading encyclopedias and playing with logos!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, especially if that PhD nets you a lot of money.

Boy, that %20 will increase rather quickly.
Yes, but will he want them? He's got some pretty exclusive criteria. How many women do you know who don't drink and don't watch TV? And could engage the Kid in interesting conversation?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Hooray! I actually like it here, though it can be frustrating going months and months without a date.
I bet we'd have fun together in niche-land! I think we are pretty similar in personality and temperament.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
That's what you get for being able to use logic. I don't flaunt my smarts though I do try to make everything seem more intellectual!

At a time when everyone was playing tag, I was reading encyclopedias and playing with logos!
I spent lots of time playing tag! But I read really fast...so there was plenty of time for books, video games and tag!

We did have some awesome freeze tag variations....

* toilet tag (when you get tagged, you hold out your arm when you are frozen, and people have to "flush you to save you)
* cartoon tag (a nice variation on the global base version of freeze tag, you are safe if you sit on the ground, and yell out the name of a cartoon. But it had to be one that hadn't been used before in the game....)
* ice cream tag (see above, replace cartoons with ice cream flavors)
* color tag (see above...)

Old 10-07-2012, 08:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Jet: fact: 2% of the population has an IQ of 130 and up, according to stats developed by MENSA. 2%. (We know you're at least 130, if not higher, being an engineer.) Of that, 1/2 roughly, are your same gender. So 1% are male. Of that, at least 1/2 are way out of your age range, either too young, or too old, however you define that, even allowing for a lot of leeway. So you're down to 0.5 %, approx. Of that, a bunch have major baggage. Reduce %-age accordingly. You get the drift. Still, that leaves around a couple thousand people in the US, not counting globally.
Bummer. Though, I doubt I'm MENSA quality, being an engineer doesn't necessarily mean you're smart.

I figured it would be extremely difficult to find a partner which is why I'm not going to bother looking anymore.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
That's an unfortunate blow to the male population.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, but will he want them? He's got some pretty exclusive criteria. How many women do you know who don't drink and don't watch TV? And could engage the Kid in interesting conversation?
I do have friends, they've been far and few inbetween, and none of them live where I live but they exist

I will earn a good salary, but I am saving much of it for various purposes. Hopefully my SO would do the same so we could get ourselves a nice place when we move in together. That's about the only major materialistic thing I care about.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
In okay if a person drinks occasionally, I am not okay with drunks.

I am not okay with wasting hours on the telly, when we could be spending time together. And manyconversations can be interesting, provided they aren't about pop culture.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
In okay if a person drinks occasionally, I am not okay with drunks.

I am not okay with wasting hours on the telly, when we could be spending time together. And manyconversations can be interesting, provided they aren't about pop culture.
That might be a problem, even with 'intellectual' types. I have a few very smart friends and every once in a while all we want to do is sit around, drink a few beers and talk about silly pop culture stuff. Sometimes we even have stupid tv marathons where we sit around and watch bad reality tv and laugh about it.

Being that rigid in your requirements is going to give you problems. You sound like a nice guy, but there's no way I could date someone that can't let loose and relax and talk about stupid stuff sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships