Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:29 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times

Advertisements

I've no direct experience of such things, but from what I've read & watched I would say it's challenging to date someone (of either gender) who is a "public servant" (nor is it an easy task to be the public servant, either).

"Public servant" could be defined in a number of ways, including but not limited to police/fire/medical/military/political/religious personnel or leaders.
People who are "on-call" at a moment's notice, I wonder how (or if) they & their families manage to have a home life & solid relationship. I'm not casting any aspersions upon the character of individuals in these professions. I'm saying that with the job demands placed upon them, it seems like there would be very little time/energy left over for the non-professional aspects of the person's life.

I feel sorry for people who have to be perpetually available to the public-and have to, due to the very nature of their career/position, put the public "first" in their priorities.
I feel sorry for their families if they are neglected-and, I do not mean that in an "oh, I'm so superior" sort of way-not in the least.
It's probably off-topic for Relationship section, but my mind goes in the direction of considering how the broader society/culture might better support people in these necessary roles (and their families)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
You are very wise. I myself avoid single mothers who has a living ex. There is the drama of meeting the ex and other issues.
Exactly. I was "lucky" to have seen this issue upfront early on in a few situations so I knew from then on to avoid it. One guy never had money because his ex was taking it and another was always in court with his ex. There were a few other cases but these were the extremes. Not to mention that had I married one of them the ex could have gone after him for more money because I was making more. I was shocked to read this but according to a law site it is very common for stepparents to end up paying child support or even alimony to the ex. I'd rather give my money to a charity or people I know who I am close to and need it instead of an exwife who might be too lazy to work or kids I had no role in bringing in the world.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
I understand pilots have their 'issues' as well.
Many of them do, yes. They can be cheap to a fault (due to low wages...many never get over it even though they may make more as their career progresses), HIGH rate of fidelity due to being away from home so much and they can be super arrogant for no real reason. Private charter pilots are a million times worse than commercial pilots though, and oftentimes they're really good looking too which really doesn't help.

Female pilots...well...I honestly haven't met very many that fly as a career. It's not a very female friendly career option unless you're a flight attendant.

As for my experience, I'm not a huge fan of accountants or anyone in finance. I find they're too nit picky about everything around them and can't just relax and let things flow.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Although this thread refers to men, I would add hamburger joint worker. This one girl I was interested back in the day was a real cutie but she smelled like a burger whenever I saw her.

haaahha

[that hungry look in my eye is not for you - gimme a burger!]

Old 10-15-2012, 04:28 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Although this thread refers to men, I would add hamburger joint worker. This one girl I was interested back in the day was a real cutie but she smelled like a burger whenever I saw her.

haaahha

[that hungry look in my eye is not for you - gimme a burger!]
Whoa there... that could be a good thing......

Old 10-15-2012, 04:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Whoa there... that could be a good thing......
Well, she did work for In-N-Out.

Me: "I want some In-N-Out..."

Her: "Whaa...?"

Me: "The burger, honey, the burger!!"

[]

Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,679,521 times
I think it is a mistake to discount military men. I was raised in a military family and I am grateful for.it because my life would be much worse without it. My father was a good citizen, was a role model who sacrficed his body.for the US, was a stand up father with discipline who taught me a lot. He wasnt a perfect.man, had a lot.of demons (possibly due.to multiple tours) but make no mistake my whole family including.folloeing generations prospered thanks.to his career choice. I would proudly date a soldier.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetc View Post
well, she did work for in-n-out.

Me: "i want some in-n-out..."

her: "whaa...?"

me: "the burger, honey, the burger!!"

[:d]

hiyoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:d

Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,612,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Many of them do, yes. They can be cheap to a fault (due to low wages...many never get over it even though they may make more as their career progresses), HIGH rate of fidelity due to being away from home so much and they can be super arrogant for no real reason. Private charter pilots are a million times worse than commercial pilots though, and oftentimes they're really good looking too which really doesn't help.

Female pilots...well...I honestly haven't met very many that fly as a career. It's not a very female friendly career option unless you're a flight attendant.

As for my experience, I'm not a huge fan of accountants or anyone in finance. I find they're too nit picky about everything around them and can't just relax and let things flow.

There is that stereotype of the boring, stuffy accountant that can't let loose and most of the ones I have met more than likely fit the stereotype. Or they were just downright nuts screaming at their clients and throwing things across the room.

I guess I must be the exception to the rule. I've told numerous people my goal is to be the accountant that is far from boring. Because of the economy there are also a lot of people switching to accounting degrees, so the old stigma and stereotype may soon be gone. However it is still a male dominated field, but women are quickly catching up.

There is no field I can't tolerate really, but I will say you have to be gainfully employed. I won't date someone involved in illegal activity. I have a family full of cops, that wouldn't fly for a second. Oh and I won't date anyone that lists their professions as a pseudo combination such as barista/poet/urban gardener.

I take issue with men who are mama's boys. I'm dating you, not you and your mother. I'm not willing to be with someone who still has the umbilical cord attached. If you're still living at home because of financial reasons, or she needs help, fine. If you're still living at home because you won't grow up and she does everything for you still, forget about it.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:00 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I think it is a mistake to discount military men. I was raised in a military family and I am grateful for.it because my life would be much worse without it. My father was a good citizen, was a role model who sacrficed his body.for the US, was a stand up father with discipline who taught me a lot. He wasnt a perfect.man, had a lot.of demons (possibly due.to multiple tours) but make no mistake my whole family including.folloeing generations prospered thanks.to his career choice. I would proudly date a soldier.
Its the "has a lot of demons" part that hurts relationship with military men that have fought in the war. I agree that they are generally great guys though. I just think it is easier for military people to get involved with others who have served. My ex-boyfriend used to tell me that I would never understand what he has been through. He was right. No matter how much I tried, I just couldn't. The weird thing is, he specifically liked that I wasn't in the military, and yet that became the problem that ended the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships