Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:26 PM

349 posts, read 459,984 times

Advertisements

Some people are really focused and into their work out. Sometimes you can tell just by looking at their facial expression that they wouldn't want to be bothered. Try to catch her when she has finished what she's doing and about to move to another machine or leave- but you have to time it right. Like someone else said you can also move to a machine next to or near hers (if possible). I personally wouldn't mind it if a guy talks to me briefly while I am working out, especially if he is cute.

Last edited by Kaffegal05; 10-20-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 01:35 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,033 times
i would seriously advise against it. as others have pointed out (and my own experience bears this out) most women don't want to be bothered by random guys at the gym.

i used to chat (just small talk, nothing more to it) with the receptionist at one gym i used to go to, and she told me that girls at the gym had in fact complained to management on occasion about guys harassing them there. you don't want to be one of those guys now, do you?

Old 10-20-2012, 01:43 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
Look for those women outside the gym. You could get a more favorable response, and the conversation could be longer.

Even though those women can be a very rare sight in some places, it will be worth it, hopefully, if you do meet them.

Im talking about women who lift weights though, and have toned legs vs something flabby.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:30 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,894 times
Wow. Some of you act like bc you're focused and don't want to talk to anyone at the gym everyone else is also like that. OP, I'll tell you what Dabo Swiney told Taj Boyd today, "Don't rush it, let it come to you". In gyms this is so true.

I workout in a gym that has a lot of people that compete in nationwide, statewide and local bodybuilding comps, including one of my buddies. People are very focused in that gym including myself. Generally speaking, the people are friendly, especially the guys. However, when it comes to women I don't bother them. I let them come to me; and they have. In the 8 months that I've been at my gym, every women that I know there has initiated contact with me. At that point you can talk to them while they're on the stairmaster, treadmill, or finishing a set. And they'll take their earbuds out of their ears to talk. Same thing in my previous gym.

Just let it come to you. If she doesn't open herself up to you don't bother her. If you do approach wait until she has finished a set. Remember, don't rush it, let it come to you.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:49 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,881 times
Given the above, I would wait until she is done with her work out and then give her a business card - you can have some made up very inexpensively on Vistaprint.com. Tell her that you understand she is probably on her way some place else (I exercise before going to work and wouldn't have time to chat at the gym), but that you would enjoy getting a chance to get to know her and would like to take her out for a cup of coffee. If she is interested she will call you, if not, it is what it is.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 PM

415 posts, read 616,010 times
As others have said, hit on her before or after her workout - not between. I hate hate hate hate being bothered when working out. Men are the last thing on my mind when I am working out.

I don't even work out in a gym - walk/run in one of the local parks, and even there I get cranky when bothered. The iPod is not to keep me motivated - it is to keep others from bothering me.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:02 PM

12 posts, read 16,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
As some of you may know, fitness is a huge part of my life. I am heavily into weight training (and boxing,) and as such am attracted to fit women. Specifically, I love muscular, strong women. Unfortunately, they are hard to find. I'm not a competitive bodybuilder, though.

Today, at my regular gym (as opposed to my boxing gym) I saw this woman who sported quite the muscular frame (bodybuilders, especially female bodybuilders, are rare at my gym.) She was heavily into her workout, as was I, and our only "interaction" was a polite nod of our heads when we were in the same area. She was wearing headphones, and she soon left after doing her exercises and I didn't see her on the floor for the rest of my workout.

Finding fit women like that is a struggle. I know some people suggest going to fitness classes, but most hardcore bodybuilders, or women who are into weight training heavily, don't go to those classes. The exception is crossfit gyms, but those are too expensive for me (the one near my house costs 180 monthly.) For next time, how can I approach her?
How do you know she doesn't have a boyfriend? Look for the women who don't have earbuds, the women who might be talking with other guys or women in-between sets. I met my current bf at the gym, ours is a great place to socialize. The way I see it, if you put young men and young women in a room together, no matter what else is going on, socializing will take place. It's only natural.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:31 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn-X View Post
...........the women who might be talking with other guys or women in-between sets.
Yep. My experience has been that the women who tend to socialize are the best ones to approach if that's what you're into. They're more open to conversation so approach away. But it takes observation of your surroundings. However, the women that don't socialize are the ones you'll have to let come to you bc they're typically focused on their workout and won't socialize with anyone unless they initiate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn-X View Post
I met my current bf at the gym, ours is a great place to socialize. The way I see it, if you put young men and young women in a room together, no matter what else is going on, socializing will take place. It's only natural.
A co-worker of mine met her current husband in the gym. It happens. And as you said it's only natural for normal, good looking people to eventually socialize with each other when you're thrown together in a large room. Nothing strange or weird about that.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
My friend met his wife at the gym. She turned him down twice he was persistent and she finally agreed to coffee, the rest is history.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:01 PM

227 posts, read 420,712 times
The guy I'm getting to know right now asked me out at the gym. If you are going to do it, be confident and fearless. That's the main reason why I took his number. He got on the machine next to me and started to chat me up. I was totally caught off guard. I am so happy he did. Otherwise I would have missed out on a good opportunity to meet a good person. The catch is you have to find out if the person is available. Don't listen to what others say. There are women out there who are single who are dying for a man to ask them out at the gym...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships