Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times

Advertisements

Someone who so defines himself or herself by political affiliation really should get a grip. Someone who might eliminate someone from his or her life just because of a different voting record really, really, really, really needs to get a grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 01:01 PM

179 posts, read 304,727 times
Interesting question. I'm fiscally conservative and socially conservative but can lean libertarian there for certain views. My GF has explicitly said she avoids politics but whenever Romney/Ryan/Bush is shown in the media, she scoffs at them with bitter anger. She's kind of the type who backs politicians based on which of her favorite celebrities endorse them.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:28 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,672,043 times
I don't care and don't like talking about politics.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,512,350 times
Obama will win it!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,475,814 times
I dated a couple of politically conservative guys. While it didn't affect our underlying affection for one another, it definitely could be annoying when they got all wound up over it.

I'm so happy the man I'm with now shares my political pov. It's much nicer that way.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,394,351 times
I grew up in a very Republican family. From a very young age, the ideas espoused by the people in my family struck a discordant note with me. I found it very telling that although my ENTIRE family would brag about my intelligence to anyone who would listen (it was really embarrassing sometimes) and actually consult me on major life decisions before I even turned 18, as soon as I expressed an opposing political viewpoint, I suddenly became quite stupid. I didn't expect their agreement, but if you think I'm such an effin' genius, don't you think that maybe - just MAYBE - I might have applied that intelligence to do some thorough analysis of various political topics?

I am a registered Independent because I am very wary of joining groups of any kind (even the Brownies kinda made me uneasy as a child), but I tend to date mostly Democrats or other Independents or even the apolitical. After a lifetime of being marginalized because of my political beliefs by those nearest and dearest to me, it is very important to me that my partner have a similar political outlook or at least be willing to consider the arguments behind my views.

My FWB relationship that took place early this year was essentially doomed to become nothing more than FWB, even though I was very fond of the guy. I was ok with him being a registered Republican, because he was very liberal on social issues, but he totally believed Obama was born in Kenya. It was an intellectual failure in my eyes that I simply could not move past. There were other reasons why he wasn't a viable long-term partner, but that one was the one that kind of headlined the list.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,033,731 times
My wife and have rather opposite views politically. Which does not affect our relationship. We can occasoinally discuss, but we do not debate or beat each other up with the issues either.

Funny thing, despite these differences, we ended up voting nearly identical yesterday.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,847,326 times
Yesterday while I was in line for almost two hours waiting to vote I actually had a conversation with two republicans. We actually had great conversations and they were very nice people. One was a man(28), the other was a 52 year old woman. Their political views didn't stop them from being "nice" people, and people that I could probably have friendships with. So I imagine that if I were single that it wouldn't be too difficult to have a relationship with a moderate conservative(not one that is on the extreme side).

Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,126,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I grew up in a very Republican family. From a very young age, the ideas espoused by the people in my family struck a discordant note with me. I found it very telling that although my ENTIRE family would brag about my intelligence to anyone who would listen (it was really embarrassing sometimes) and actually consult me on major life decisions before I even turned 18, as soon as I expressed an opposing political viewpoint, I suddenly became quite stupid. I didn't expect their agreement, but if you think I'm such an effin' genius, don't you think that maybe - just MAYBE - I might have applied that intelligence to do some thorough analysis of various political topics?

I am a registered Independent because I am very wary of joining groups of any kind (even the Brownies kinda made me uneasy as a child), but I tend to date mostly Democrats or other Independents or even the apolitical. After a lifetime of being marginalized because of my political beliefs by those nearest and dearest to me, it is very important to me that my partner have a similar political outlook or at least be willing to consider the arguments behind my views.

My FWB relationship that took place early this year was essentially doomed to become nothing more than FWB, even though I was very fond of the guy. I was ok with him being a registered Republican, because he was very liberal on social issues, but he totally believed Obama was born in Kenya. It was an intellectual failure in my eyes that I simply could not move past. There were other reasons why he wasn't a viable long-term partner, but that one was the one that kind of headlined the list.
Opposite here, grew up in a Catholic Democratic family in the southwest, mostly JFK followers, not Ted. In reality they were moderate Republicans or Blue dog Dems.

I mostly date Independants or other Centrist. Cool aid drinking flag wavers of either party irratate me to no end.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:25 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,595,995 times
It really depends on why the woman is a liberal. I would much prefer a woman who is a liberal just because everyone else around her is, than a woman who has made a concious decision to be a liberal. For the most part, I don't care what someone's political views are. But one of the most polarizing issues for me and women when it has come to relationships have been abortion and gay marriage. These are two issues I care nothing about. However I've had women sit back and argue with me at length as to why I should even care. I don't plan on dealing with a woman who wants an aborition, and gay marriage has no impact on me because I'm not gay. Most women who have made concious decisions to be liberal do so because they feel they are being humanitarian, and worry about other people's rights way too much. Also my fiscally conservative views are generally pretty lost on them, as they can't get past their social justice rants to even focus on something more logical like fiscal concerns. So in general I haven't found that I'm fond of most women with opposite views. On the flips side, I've also found that other conservatives (mainly social conservatives) to be a pretty bad match for me as well. I haven't found many women who match me on views I actually care about, but my landlord is a female who knows where I'm coming from. too bad she's way too old for me AND married WITH children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships