Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,926,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
He has only cared for his comfort, his cars and hanging out with his 'amazing' friends (guys in their 50s cheating with women that could be their daughters). He loves money more than anything else but only uses it to benefit himself.
Do you think maybe your father is doing the same now? Or maybe he has been doing that for years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
how people treat other people indicates their character.
Exactly. If dad wanted to have a good relationship with his son, he should have made some effort in that direction. He made his choices, now he has to live with the consequences.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 PM

128 posts, read 323,363 times
You know im trying to get over a relationship that was 4 1/2 years and you actually made me feel a little better for myself tongiht, thanks. (since Im having a very difficult time I realized that I wasnt married and could be going through something like 30 years) but I do feel really bad for you... I'm very sorry, people are so selfish and I dont like the way our society is based on gotta have it now, theres no faith in life anymore, they should work it out maybe this has been like this for a very long time though and its just coming to surface, thats always the case in situations like this.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
single is a strong card for a guy. it guarantees staying a handsome prince forever. if you marry u turn into a frog in 24 months
once a frog, in 67% of the cases, divorce follows soon, in 100% of the cases contempt follows soon.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 PM

601 posts, read 759,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Alicant310,

I applaud you!!! Great common sense!! I hope what you had to say doesn't fall on the deaf ears of the OP, however, I suspect he is so angry with his father, nothing will make him listen. I guess that is to be expected when dealing with young inexperienced people that haven't suffered through life's trials and tribulations. He doesn't realize that both his father and mother are hurting because of this divorce, all he can see is his own misery...

Thats exactly it..when youre young..things like these just dont register..

Old 11-11-2012, 09:58 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,202,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
single is a strong card for a guy. it guarantees staying a handsome prince forever. if you marry u turn into a frog in 24 months
once a frog, in 67% of the cases, divorce follows soon, in 100% of the cases contempt follows soon.
Sadly marriage has bad odds these days though there are exceptions that I wouldn't bet with.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:02 PM

128 posts, read 323,363 times
I know that I dont want to be divorced, I want to find the right girl and the problem is people fall into lust and then they dont realize that they arent happy until its too late.. relationships to me are the most powerful thing in life, and people really dont realize that until a strong relationship doesnt work out.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Do I think it's admirable to keep a marriage togather for the sake of the children, sometimes...
I can't unequivocally agree, having seen the damage that "keeping the marriage together for the sake of the kids" wrought with my three cousins, now young adults who haven't the faintest idea of what a functional, healthy relationship is, and who all have emotional problems.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,427,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
I'm 21 and my parents are finally getting a divorce after 31 years of marriage. I have a 29 year old brother as well.

My parents could never stand eachother as far as I can remember. I can't recall ever seeing anything good between them besides arguing and bickering. My father has always been a selfish sleaze who would spend thousands on himself without even speaking with my mother. He has only cared for his comfort, his cars and hanging out with his 'amazing' friends (guys in their 50s cheating with women that could be their daughters). He loves money more than anything else but only uses it to benefit himself.

My mother has devoted her life to my brother and I. She's the kind of person who doesn't care about her well-being as long as we are okay. She ran the household and was always very financially responsible. I was happy when she told me the news but surprised as well. I could never believe she would have the strength to leave the guy who happened to be my sperm donor.

How common is divorce after decades of marriage these days? The situation is kind of awkward because I'm not on speaking terms in my father and nobody around will expect them to split up after so many years.

Sorry for venting this but I would just like to hear opinions on what they call 'grey divorce' I think. If you could share any experiences, please do.
I think it's quite common for those older people who get divorced to do it after all the kids have left the nest, so to speak.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 AM

837 posts, read 1,288,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Do you think maybe your father is doing the same now? Or maybe he has been doing that for years?
He's likely been doing it. Who can be with the same woman for 30 years and not get bored? Now he'll have the freedom he wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships