Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:40 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,423,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I thought as much

I see how this could be be important for some people. It's certainly not important for me. And there is nothing inherently better about it. Social norms can, and do, change.

The freedom to end it without as much legal fuss.

I was hoping that the OP would answer the question though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
filihok, I did say there are some that question, so if you are going to single out part of my post, make sure to mention the other important parts.

I am in a committed long term monogamous relationship right now and nothing about our relationship will change. For me, though, I do believe in the sanctity of marriage. Maybe I am old fashioned, I don't know.

Have you ever been married?

On another note.... guess who I have been goofing around with the last few days? Big Gus from Tattoo Nightmares! I didn't even realize it was him. I just approached him the other day like I would anyone else!
Quote:
This thread was meant to be a spoof off of the other thread, just like I said in the OP. I also said that I know there are some who ask why a person doesn't get married/have children.

I am also in a ltr. We live together. I greet him at the door in the evenings when he gets home. I miss him when he's gone.

None of that changes even though we live together. I do want to be married.

For me, marriage just brings you together as one. I am a Christian woman, so I do believe in marriage and not living together, which is what I am doing.

I do feel it sinful, and while I love my SO, I would like to be living as husband and wife. I would like to take his last name as my own.

I know all that may sound old fashioned or Bible thumping, but it isn't. I grew up in a family of married people. It is what I saw all around me. It is what I still see and it is what I was brought up as being right.

None of that is changing about me any time soon. Marriage, to me, is more of a life-long commitment walking hand in hand than just shacking up.

I know people will think I am ridiculous but I will say it right now, I do think I am living in sin by just living with him and I do not think it is the right way to be living. I don't feel it is a good example for my children, either. Their dad is living with his gf as well.

Right now, none of us are leading in the way which they should follow. I do harbor guilt from this and it's pretty tough for me.

That's just all there is to it for me.... But for those who choose to be single, or those to choose to be in a ltr while living together or not, more power to you! I do not judge..
I thought I answered the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,783,648 times
Until the late 1800's marriages were performed by the preacher, that is it. Then the government got involved and decided that we need a license to marry, they had to approve the marriage and
collect a fee to boot!

Now, we have that little piece of paper that really costs nothing to buy, yet, when it is torn in half all hell breaks loose, the money starts to roll, attorneys get richer, judges and other court workers get an increase in pay, the only real loser is the breadwinner.

What exactly does a Christian need except for the union to be blessed by the preacher? This I do not get...as then, if religion is the benchmark... one would not be living in sin, would they?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM

868 posts, read 1,123,951 times
Being single sucks for the most part. Mainly because you become a second class citizen at some point and find yourself excluded from a lot of things such as holidays or even going to the movies.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Being single sucks for the most part. Mainly because you become a second class citizen at some point and find yourself excluded from a lot of things such as holidays or even going to the movies.
I was never excluded from that when I was single

Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,137,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I'm sorry that has been your experience.

I've been single more often than not, and currently am going on a very long stretch (we won't get into how long). I enjoy being single, and haven't been excluded.

What does bother me is having my singledom questioned by others. But, in all, I think it's a matter of how comfortable you are with yourself.

I know people who absolutely cannot be single, and jump from relationship to relationship. To me, that makes no sense. But, it's not for me to judge.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
I'm sorry that has been your experience.

I've been single more often than not, and currently am going on a very long stretch (we won't get into how long). I enjoy being single, and haven't been excluded.

What does bother me is having my singledom questioned by others. But, in all, I think it's a matter of how comfortable you are with yourself.

I know people who absolutely cannot be single, and jump from relationship to relationship. To me, that makes no sense. But, it's not for me to judge.
I agree, questioning singles on their status is extremely rude. Asking if someone has someone is fine, its just making conversation. I believe this is why there are people that can't stand to be alone for a minute. They're insecure about scenarios like this.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,423,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Until the late 1800's marriages were performed by the preacher, that is it. Then the government got involved and decided that we need a license to marry, they had to approve the marriage and
collect a fee to boot!

Now, we have that little piece of paper that really costs nothing to buy, yet, when it is torn in half all hell breaks loose, the money starts to roll, attorneys get richer, judges and other court workers get an increase in pay, the only real loser is the breadwinner.

What exactly does a Christian need except for the union to be blessed by the preacher? This I do not get...as then, if religion is the benchmark... one would not be living in sin, would they?
Well, in all reality, Christians are people just like every one else. We sin just like non-Christians. I am living in sin by living with him out of wedlock, and admittedly so.

I also harbor the guilt from doing it.

Christians, just like everyone else, are human. I am not perfect, and I never will be. I can only strive to do better.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,348,442 times
Quote:
Christians are people just like every one else.
As an atheist, it is impossible for me to sin

Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,168,861 times
The floating spaghetti monster will smite you with its noodly appendage for making such a blasphemous remark, filihok.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 PM

868 posts, read 1,123,951 times
It's something that those born either beautiful or at least average looks wise shouldn't lose sleep over, but rather keep secretly s******ing at the 45 year old man standing in line at the "10 items or less" checkout with his crate of beer, meal for one and sad and tired eyes, about to come home to a lonely apartment and drink himself to sleep, wondering why he was born unattractive and why he is continually tortured by others continuing to pass him by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships