Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times

Advertisements

Like others have said, don't get more student loan debt than you can pay off in a few years (maybe 7 tops). You don't want to be paying on it for decades.

I've heard of people getting into $100k+ in debt for jobs that pay $30k. That's not smart. But if you get six figure debt abd will make six figures then why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (please forgive typos)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM

708 posts, read 878,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is this something that comes up during the first few dates? I'm trying to figure out when/how you would ask this kind of question.

I would not be thrilled about it, but it happens. It depends on how much debt and whether they have a plan.
I wonder about the first part as well.

I'm not in the dating market now. If I was though, I'd be more concerned about how the person handled their overall financial situation in the present.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,746 times
I worked my ass off to graduate debt free and when I meet someone that is financially careless, it's a turnoff. The creepy guy who showed up at my house recently told me (while drunk) over dinner about all his financial woes and how he had to get an advance from a client to avoid bankruptcy. And yet, here you are, spending money on booze. Classy.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Sorry but I'm not helping to pay your student loan debt

Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Sorry but I'm not helping to pay your student loan debt
Noted?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,492 times
Debt itself is not a problem depending on their assets, income, ability to pay it off, int rate, etc, but since you said they can't pay it off anytime soon, forget about it. Huge problem.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
a useless degree from a no-name school would be a turn off by itself. a ton of debt with that definitely wouldn't help. that being said i don't have dealbreakers. if the dude is just awesome overall (and perhaps has improved in his choices since he was 18), i'm sure i'd consider him

Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Is having too much student loan debt a deal breaker if that person will not be able to pay it off anytime soon? They got a worthless degree from an out of state school
It is if the one with the debt doesn't have a viable plan on how "they" will pay off the debt. Using OPM (other people's money) is not a viable plan - in other words, if they think getting a MRS degree is their way out of the jam they created, no thank you! You created the mess, now you fix it.

One of the biggest ways to sink yourself is to attach the ball and chain of debt around your waist or worse, your neck. Majoring in a degree that does not earn enough to carry the debt is a "non-starter". Sorry, but that goes for degrees like Women's studies, sociology, anthropology, archeology, history, journalism, etc. If the job pays $25K annually before taxes, just how in hades do you think you can pay off a $200K after-tax loan?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
I worked my ass off to graduate debt free and when I meet someone that is financially careless, it's a turnoff. The creepy guy who showed up at my house recently told me (while drunk) over dinner about all his financial woes and how he had to get an advance from a client to avoid bankruptcy. And yet, here you are, spending money on booze. Classy.
Congrats on graduating "debt free".

It's like dating a smoker - you know it causes cancer, so a)why expose me to it and b) if you want to eff yourself off, do it someplace else.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
How much is too much? Are they still a student? Are they getting more loans? There are way too many variables to make a well informed decision without having all the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships