Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

Hubby seems to feel deprived that I had lost any French accent long before I met him ! For some reason he seems to find mild French accents sexy when all I can hear is Inspector Clouseau ! I lost mine after 3 or 4 months in the US and when I met Hubby I had a mild American accent. Now I sound like a Brit.

I think I naturally mimic whatever sounds are in my current environment when it comes to languages. I did say "my hairs" rather than "my hair" ( A Frenchism I suppose) for a wee while after we met and he was devastated when after correcting me once I stopped saying it altogether ! You can't win !

We all have accents and all have linguistic idiosyncrasies so it would be silly to refuse to date someone who just had "any" accent.

Some accents I think I simply could not live with like strong Glaswegian ( for comprehension's sake and a dialogue,an impossible accent to understand), Liverpool and Birmingham would also be hard for me as I find these accents hideous and an insult to the ears.

But as long as the accent is mild and comprehension not impaired than it should not be an issue IMO.
A mild southern accent no problem ! One of those where you require subtitles and a libretto for interpretation, no thanks !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
All other things being equal, no accent would be a deal breaker for me. No accent would definitively ruin it...unless I couldn't understand the words and had to "what? I'm sorry, I didn't catch that?" all the time. That's uncomfortable and I wouldn't carry on a relationship past one date (if I were in the market) with such a person. Communication is too important.

Now some accents actually make people more alluring...even MUCH more so. Brit, Irish, Scots, Aussie, South African, even other Euro languages like Italian, French or Spanish if the speech is otherwise clear and well spoken. I had the chance to talk to a singer with a band from New Zealand who were touring as openers for GWAR this fall tour, band was Legacy of Disorder...and the guy looked all hardcore, but he was so sweet and darling to speak to...and I said to him, "I've always wanted to say something to a man with an accent like yours. Now don't take me wrong, I'm married, this isn't about me personally...but I've always wondered why men with cool accents don't come to the US more often, just to get laid. I mean, you could talk to almost any single American girl with an accent like yours, and she'd be all over you." He laughed and said, "Do I have an accent? Really?" o.O I was like, ohhh yeah. Yeah, you do. And it's awesome.
Just my opinion, but I find Scottish accents to be painfully annoying. The true English accents are very alluring and pleasing to the ears however.

Also, anyone else find it interesting that very few American actors can fake an English accent in movies? They hit a few words right, but the majority of them are awfully American sounding.

On the contrary, there are a lot of British actors who come to America to act and have spot on American accents. Hughe Laurie from House is English, Christian Bale is from Wales, Gary Oldman is English, Tom Wilkinson is English, Hugh Jackman is Australian, Russel Crowe is Australian...all of them do American accents spot on.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
No, never. Their descusting!

(I'm kidding. Yes, I would)

Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Just my opinion, but I find Scottish accents to be painfully annoying. The true English accents are very alluring and pleasing to the ears however.

Also, anyone else find it interesting that very few American actors can fake an English accent in movies? They hit a few words right, but the majority of them are awfully American sounding.

On the contrary, there are a lot of British actors who come to America to act and have spot on American accents. Hughe Laurie from House is English, Christian Bale is from Wales, Gary Oldman is English, Tom Wilkinson is English, Hugh Jackman is Australian, Russel Crowe is Australian...all of them do American accents spot on.
I find Scottish accents absolutely delicious. Craig Ferguson comes to mind...guy in his forties with a Scots accent? *drool* And then I'm thinking a couple of the recent Dr. Who actors...nine and ten?...If Chris Eccleston doesn't actually have a Scots accent he mimicked one in the GI Joe movie. It was adorable. And David Tennant? Well. What nerdy girl doesn't love him?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Oh yes, definitely.

Some accents are sexier than others though. I don't think I need to link my Russel Peters video on Indian guys picking up women in the club with their accent to demonstrate this. Generally speaking the Euro accents are seen as desirable, English, Irish, Spanish, Italian, even German, but the Asians ones are not very romantic.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Everyone has an accent...and I would like my wife to speak, yes.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,497 times
The question is, which is the least coolest accent? I am thinking Indian.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowT View Post
It maybe a stupid question but I am just curious. Would you date someone who has an accent of another country? If you are from U.S. and they were raised from a different country but speak really good English. Why and why not? Thanks.
I know this isn't one of the requirments of this thread, but I would not date a woman with a redneck/strong country twang. I could handle a soft twang, but I really get turned off if you sound too country.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
The question is, which is the least coolest accent? I am thinking Indian.
For women? Indian accents are hot on women....
Guys, that's a different story.

Personally, I don't like "Jersey girl" accent...

Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
then how do you guys communicate and where is she from?

She's from Venezuela, we communicate in Spanish. I taught myself Spanish and Portuguese, but love Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships