Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 03:58 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,418,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
We taught our son to be a gentleman, and he keeps it up. He does open the door for a lady, for the elderly, or his elders in general, etc. I am very proud of the young man he has become.... He just finished his first college semester with 3 A's and 2 B's. He is used to holding a 4.0 or very close to it, so the B's are a change for him.

At any rate, chivalry is still around, but barely, I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Didn't realize this thread was about GPA and chivalry. Let's not go down that road, please.

Anyways, I don't say, 'I'd hit that'. I usually say,

Shawty could get it. Or,

Damn, girl, you pretty. (the way Chris Brown says it in the 'Cake' song with Rihanna.)
Quote:
I'm still waiting for the connection between GPA and topic at hand.
I am not ever required to appease you but here ya go. Chowhound and I were in a discussion with one another about chivalry and young men came into his post. I then spoke of my son in a quoted post to Chowhound.

When I spoke of my son in the post, I was speaking of a young man who is chivalrous, a gentleman. Furthermore, I mentioned his GPA and how he is doing in college his first semester.

Posts on C-D go down all kinds of roads. For this one to ask why people speak that way can easy go in the way of chivalry, and from there, I am quite sure that examples of any given young man could have been made.

I gave the example of my son who has manners, is a gentleman, is chivalrous, maintains a high if not perfect GPA and would not ever behave in such a way as to use that phrase.

He is just the type of person who would not do this, and the way I raised him has much to do with it.

He was raised to value people, and to value education. Of course he has other values.

Why do you care so much as to have come here twice worrying about it? What is/was your GPA? Are you offended because you are one of the people who behave this way?

I am not saying you can't have a high GPA and act this way, anyone can act any way. A lot of circumstance comes to play.

Who gives a shyt if shawty could get that? I don't, but it is your right to post it.

Last edited by Pikantari; 12-23-2012 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 04:00 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,854,745 times
Quote:
Who gives a shyt of shawty could get that?

Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,189,093 times
Quote:
I am not ever required to appease you but here ya go. Chowhound and I were in a discussion with one another about chivalry and young men came into his post. I then spoke of my son in a quoted post to Chowhound.

When I spoke of my son in the post, I was speaking of a young man who is chivalrous, a gentleman. Furthermore, I mentioned his GPA and how he is doing in college his first semester.

Posts on C-D go down all kinds of roads. For this one to ask why people speak that way can easy go in the way of chivalry, and from there, I am quite sure that examples of any given young man could have been made.

I gave the example of my son who has manners, is a gentleman, is chivalrous, maintains a high if not perfect GPA and would not ever behave in such a way as to use that phrase.

He is just the type of person who would not do this, and the way I raised him has much to do with it.

He was raised to value people, and to value education. Of course he has other values.

Why do you care so much as to have come here twice worrying about it? What is/was your GPA? Are you offended because you are one of the people who behave this way?

I am not saying you can't have a high GPA and act this way, anyone can act any way. A lot of circumstance comes to play.

Who gives a shyt if shawty could get that? I don't, but it is your right to post it.
I was going to type out a response including my GPA, school I graduated from and what kind of family I came from, but then I realized 'why bother'.

That's fine if you're going to be so uptight and continue to fail to understand it's mostly said in jest among friends and rarely to the person they're talking about. It's another way to say, "She's hot" or "He's sexy". That doesn't necessarily mean they don't value people or education. It doesn't make them any less of a gentleman or person. That's just ridiculous. I'm sure such filthy words would never come out of your son's mouth, though.

And since I sure as hades wasn't saying that to you, so I wouldn't expect you to give a 'shyt'.

Lol. It's amazing how a lot of kids, who have 'morals and values' and good grades, have their parents fooled.

Also funny how your buddy Chowhound talks about how he would 'sop a fat girl up with a biscuit', but gon' on head and have that talk about chilvary and GPA or whatever.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I was going to type out a response including my GPA, school I graduated from and what kind of family I came from, but then I realized 'why bother'.

That's fine if you're going to be so uptight and continue to fail to understand it's mostly said in jest among friends and rarely to the person they're talking about. It's another way to say, "She's hot" or "He's sexy". That doesn't necessarily mean they don't value people or education. It doesn't make them any less of a gentleman or person. That's just ridiculous. I'm sure such filthy words would never come out of your son's mouth, though.

And since I sure as hades wasn't saying that to you, so I wouldn't expect you to give a 'shyt'.

Lol. It's amazing how a lot of kids, who have 'morals and values' and good grades, have their parents fooled.

Also funny how your buddy Chowhound talks about how he would 'sop a fat girl up with a biscuit', but gon' on head and have that talk about chilvary and GPA or whatever.
I didn't say you were saying that about me. Another poster mentioned it as being a replacement word for f*ck, and that is what it is. People say phrases like this flippantly without thinking of what it truly means. "She is hot" means she is hot. Hot, pretty, attractive, etc. None of those mean hit, tap, screw, bang, f*uck, etc. No matter how you put it, it does not mean the same thing and for the people who think it does....I have no idea.

Whether or not you are saying it in passing to the person it is designated for, to friends, or whatever the circumstance, it is disrespectful and ungentlemanly like.

You are obviously not a person who can wrap his mind around it so you are right. Whatever.

You went to college, so you know about this word, right?

syn·o·nym
[sin-uh-nim] Show IPA
noun
a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language, as happy, joyful, elated. A dictionary of synonyms and antonyms (or opposites), such as Thesaurus.com, is called a thesaurus.
a word or expression accepted as another name for something, as Arcadia for pastoral simplicity or Wall Street for U.S. financial markets; metonym.
Biology . one of two or more scientific names applied to a single taxon.

I agree, some kids have their parents fooled. I don't think mine fall under that category. They hear someone cuss and you see their eyebrows raise and their eyes get a little bigger. It just is not their everyday language or language they use, and you can tell by their reactions.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:59 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,867,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
When I get my connection between chivalry and male and female differences that makes sense. That won't be happening anytime soon so I would not hold my breath.
Well, if you look at any thread, after about the first 5 or 6 posts, EVERY THREAD morphs... it used to irk the hell out of me at first, but such is life.........

Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,189,093 times
Quote:
I didn't say you were saying that about me. Another poster mentioned it as being a replacement word for f*ck, and that is what it is. People say phrases like this flippantly without thinking of what it truly means. "She is hot" means she is hot. Hot, pretty, attractive, etc. None of those mean hit, tap, screw, bang, f*uck, etc. No matter how you put it, it does not mean the same thing and for the people who think it does....I have no idea.

Whether or not you are saying it in passing to the person it is designated for, to friends, or whatever the circumstance, it is disrespectful and ungentlemanly like.

You are obviously not a person who can wrap his mind around it so you are right. Whatever.

You went to college, so you know about this word, right?

syn·o·nym
[sin-uh-nim] Show IPA
noun
a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language, as happy, joyful, elated. A dictionary of synonyms and antonyms (or opposites), such as Thesaurus.com, is called a thesaurus.
a word or expression accepted as another name for something, as Arcadia for pastoral simplicity or Wall Street for U.S. financial markets; metonym.
Biology . one of two or more scientific names applied to a single taxon.

I agree, some kids have their parents fooled. I don't think mine fall under that category. They hear someone cuss and you see their eyebrows raise and their eyes get a little bigger. It just is not their everyday language or language they use, and you can tell by their reactions.
**sigh**

Old 12-23-2012, 05:12 PM

52,387 posts, read 52,867,207 times
Quote:

I've acknowledge that I say things that are off color at times (see link), for comedy purposes, or at least in attempts to make jokes.

Me making reference about biscuits and "fat girls" as you say doesn't negate how I treat someone..... it's called making a joke....... most of my "jokes" aren't mean spirited and that is the real key.... I see people post some vile nasty stuff here... and the scary part is that they actually mean it....

https://www.city-data.com/forum/27457496-post92.html

Old 12-23-2012, 05:52 PM

Yea, I agree, sigh.

It is just my opinion. To me, it is just not respectful towards the person it is said to or about, and the person saying it doesn't sound respectable.

They may be a totally respectable and outright wonderful person but when they say things like that, it is not what comes across.

There is always someone watching or listening, no matter where you are.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,464,154 times
I saw someone in the comments section on youtube the other day say:

"I'd park my boner in her fart box"

Thought it was pretty funny. lol

Old 12-24-2012, 06:29 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,295,311 times
Quote:
This, too, is a very good post. People do have a disregard for one another. I have never been this way, nor did I raise my children to be this way.

It all comes from the very beginnings, the very basics. What we are taught at home. How we are allowed to behave. How we are taught to behave.

Children learn what they live, and that is normally represented in their outward behaviors.

I am always very happy when a young man opens a door for me. It gives me a little hope....
What stinks about these tragedies also is that the shooter usually takes their own life, which shows me that they valued their victims even less. I'm pro suicide. If you want to kill yourself, because life is too hard for you, then 100% be my guess. I slept good before you killed yourself and I'll sleep good after your death. Suicide is one thing I have 100% tolerance for; however, I don't like it when you take innocent bystanders with you. It leaves so many answers unanswered.

If the CT guy would have just came to the school and shot himself only, it would have been on the 5 o'clock news, but would have easily been forgotten. So yes, I agree, the disregard for human life is appauling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships